Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 PM

135 posts, read 370,470 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering..I hear multiple answers for this and never a clear one. If I'm not mistaken, due to the impractical rules set, it was decided that NJ and NY both share the monument (Though it's property of the Federal Government anyway). Does anyone know what the situation really is? It's universally known that the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of New York City (and the USA of course), but does it really all belong to NY? I'd appreciate it if somebody with knowledge of this could enlighten me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
It's an exclave of New York surrounded by New Jersey's territorial waters.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,464 times
Belongs to NY

Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNJ View Post
I was just wondering..I hear multiple answers for this and never a clear one. If I'm not mistaken, due to the impractical rules set, it was decided that NJ and NY both share the monument (Though it's property of the Federal Government anyway). Does anyone know what the situation really is? It's universally known that the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of New York City (and the USA of course), but does it really all belong to NY? I'd appreciate it if somebody with knowledge of this could enlighten me. Thanks!
It belongs to NY. If I remember correctly (could be wrong), a colonial governor said that any island that could be circled in 24 hours would belong to NY, and anything else to NJ. This is why Liberty Island and Staten Island belong to NY.

On the other hand, Ellis Island is split between NJ and NY. This is because while the original island belongs to NY, due to the above reason, the rest was built using land-filling in NJ waters, and is thus part of NJ. You can actually see it on Google Maps:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	22573
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	102825

Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Its in NJ waters and a LOT closer to NJ than NY, and dammit it is New Jersey land, I declare it.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Its in NJ waters and a LOT closer to NJ than NY, and dammit it is New Jersey land, I declare it.

Haha, if only...NYC gets everything and then they (mostly Manhattan people) make fun of us

Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
It belongs to NY. If I remember correctly (could be wrong), a colonial governor said that any island that could be circled in 24 hours would belong to NY, and anything else to NJ. This is why Liberty Island and Staten Island belong to NY.

On the other hand, Ellis Island is split between NJ and NY. This is because while the original island belongs to NY, due to the above reason, the rest was built using land-filling in NJ waters, and is thus part of NJ. You can actually see it on Google Maps:

Attachment 102825

That's a very interesting map, good post! It seems most of Ellis Island does belong to NJ, just not the Statue of Liberty and most of Liberty Island. Oh well, better than nothing I guess lol

Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Wasn't there a court decision about this very issue within the last 10 years or so, where NJ laid claim to the island and lost? I seem to remember reading about that in the news.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It's an exclave of New York surrounded by New Jersey's territorial waters.
This is correct. If you look at it on Google Maps, for example, you'll see the state border circling the islands. It is an exclave. The waters surrounding it are part of New Jersey, and the land is part of New York.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Maybe we can work out a time share. Two weeks in the summer and every other weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey