Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,576,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
The Tea Party IS the problem! Boner has to kowtow to them first before deciding to do anything. If Republicans have any sense at all they'll abandon the Tea Baggers
shockingly i disagree with that statement. im not really sure how anyone can be on board with a plan to raise taxes on 1% of the population, increase spending, practically no decrease in any other spending and pretend that will make a dent in our $1.1 trillion annual spending deficit (i believe the CBO said it will add $3.9 trillion to the deficit). i guess the idea is that you have to convince yourself that the amount of debt we add is unimportant.

it seems like moderate is to say that you want a balanced budget. extreme is to actually want the government to take action to balance the budget.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 01-02-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,960,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
shockingly i disagree with that statement. im not really sure how anyone can be on board with a plan to raise taxes on 1% of the population, increase spending, practically no decrease in any other spending and pretend that will make a dent in our $1.1 trillion annual spending deficit (i believe the CBO said it will add $3.9 trillion to the deficit). i guess the idea is that you have to convince yourself that the amount of debt we add is unimportant.
If you were paying attention, they decided to address mostly taxes in this stage of the compromise with the showdown on cost cuts next month... so no one is pretending that there are real cuts here.

And if you want to cite the CBO stats, you should clarify that it adds $3.9 trillion (over 10 years) to the deficit COMPARED TO COMPLETLELY ELIMINATING THE BUSH TAX CUTS. So the impact is on not raising taxes on income under $400K.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM

188 posts, read 190,065 times
Quote:
But when Bush and Cheney were running things, deficits didn't matter.

Why does the deficit suddenly matter now?

Political Animal - Remember ‘deficits don’t matter’? Cheney doesn’t

Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
If you were paying attention, they decided to address mostly taxes in this stage of the compromise with the showdown on cost cuts next month... so no one is pretending that there are real cuts here.

And if you want to cite the CBO stats, you should clarify that it adds $3.9 trillion (over 10 years) to the deficit COMPARED TO COMPLETLELY ELIMINATING THE BUSH TAX CUTS. So the impact is on not raising taxes on income under $400K.
oh yes, we will deal with it later. that has worked out so well to this point. wasnt this whole "fiscal cliff" scenario concocted intentionally to force our elected geniuses to come up with an agreement now?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
But when Bush and Cheney were running things, deficits didn't matter.

Why does the deficit suddenly matter now?

Political Animal - Remember ‘deficits don’t matter’? Cheney doesn’t
so whats your point? do you think we should adress the deficit or not?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,062,032 times
Spending was out of control under Dubya as well. The Tea Baggers would've approved the Iraq War because their side approved it. Only you would think they're some kind of firce for truth & justice because they wear Revolutionary costumes.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Spending was out of control under Dubya as well. The Tea Baggers would've approved the Iraq War because their side approved it. Only you would think they're some kind of firce for truth & justice because they wear Revolutionary costumes.
when did i suggest that the republicans are a force for truth and justice? in reality, i think the republicans and democrats are very very close economically. the cuts the republicans wanted to make werent nearly enough either. we have an $11 trillion gap to make up over the next 10 years. i believe the republicans werent trying to even make up $2 trillion of it. we need a ron paul type of budget where you cut entire government departments, end foreign wars, close down foreign bases and more.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,960,477 times
Quote:
oh yes, we will deal with it later. that has worked out so well to this point. wasnt this whole "fiscal cliff" scenario concocted intentionally to force our elected geniuses to come up with an agreement now?
and they put off the spending discussion for a month or so. That will surely get just as ugly as the tax discussion.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
and they put off the spending discussion for a month or so. That will surely get just as ugly as the tax discussion.
it will just be an opportunity for politicians to raise money from people/organizations who face potential cuts.

for example, i bet defense contractors donated to polticians for this particular fiscal cliff battle. the polticians will expect more in a couple of months when the issue comes up again.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM

23,433 posts, read 17,108,332 times
We are in intentional economic free fall. Author: Obama

'Spending out of control' is what the governemnt has been up to since the 60s.

Galactic difference and not comparable.

You don't see the waste the Dems added on to the Sandy bill?
You are not outraged by this covert attempt by Dems to ride the waves of Sandy to spend money on random payback causes?

They take advantage of the Sandy victims to get tax money that would not be passed if proposed as stand alone items?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey