Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,349 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anybody inland (not the obvious coastal people) is evacuating and heading west. I am very pregnant and have a toddler, and it seems riskier to leave than to stay. I'm in Morris county, not an immediate flood area but main roads around us do flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 AM

18 posts, read 40,261 times
My dad and sister live in Morris county and they're staying put.

If you're very pregnant to the point that you could go into labor during the worst of the storm it might be wise to leave. Other than that, take precautions, stock up on food, secure anything outside, and hope for the best!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Go to a large town or city you should be fine like Morristown....Jersey City should not lose power nor flood or you can try Harrison theres a New Hotel right near 280....along with Downtown Newark... The worst of the Storm will be west...

Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Morris county will be fine. You are so inland..

If the road around you tend for flood, You might want to go stay with someone who is near your hospital, if your Very Pregnant Becomes new baby Sandy (A name that can work for either sex).

Old 10-27-2012, 08:16 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Morris county will be fine. You are so inland..

If the road around you tend for flood, You might want to go stay with someone who is near your hospital, if your Very Pregnant Becomes new baby Sandy (A name that can work for either sex).
If you want your son to hate you for the rest of his life go ahead and name him Sandy.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:05 AM

151 posts, read 528,167 times
We're in Morris County and not going anywhere. We've prepared as much as we can. We lost power and the basement flooded last year, but only because w/o power the sump pump didn't run.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:10 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,349 times
I'm about 10 mins from hospital. Labor isn't imminent. I worry more being stuck on a flooded road somewhere not knowing where I am, the roads, hospital, etc.

This kid (gender will be a surprise) won't be named Sandy.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:42 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I'm about 10 mins from hospital. Labor isn't imminent. I worry more being stuck on a flooded road somewhere not knowing where I am, the roads, hospital, etc.

This kid (gender will be a surprise) won't be named Sandy.
If you're worried about not knowing where you are then the best bet is to stock up and hang out at home.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
I'm in Morris and not going anywhere either. Our town got really slammed last year in the October storm, friends had no power for 7-10 days. I'm in an area where we don't flood (I'm on a hill towards the top so water rushes by my house and doesn't enter thank GOD - also our patio was leveled perfectly and water settles away from house). also for some reason we tend to get spared with power outages. Yes, I realize I just jinxed myself.

For personal reasons I hope the brunt hits Tuesday and we can go out Monday and Wednesday (I think that's the latest forecast).

Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm in Morris and not going anywhere either. Our town got really slammed last year in the October storm, friends had no power for 7-10 days. I'm in an area where we don't flood (I'm on a hill towards the top so water rushes by my house and doesn't enter thank GOD - also our patio was leveled perfectly and water settles away from house). also for some reason we tend to get spared with power outages. Yes, I realize I just jinxed myself.

For personal reasons I hope the brunt hits Tuesday and we can go out Monday and Wednesday (I think that's the latest forecast).
Difficult to say, but I think at least a portion of Monday will be okay for travel. But it'll probably deteroriate as the day goes on.

My home is in Sussex County which is where I am this weekend, but I'll be headed back to Bergen County tomorrow. Both places are well inland, but either way, it looks like the entire state will take a good beating once again. Wind may be more of an issue than during Irene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey