U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:46 PM

12,937 posts, read 24,074,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
'05 mecerdes benz e320 cdi, it is legal in 45 states and now marketed as a "blutec" engine, volkswagon has their TDI that puts up similar numbers and as someone noted cars like this are common in europe where almost half the cars sold are these new advanced diesels. Americans are clueless about diesels, I've had people act hysterical when I am fueling because they've never seen a car like mine that runs on diesel and they think I am using the wrong fuel, and I had one guy really lose it when I put some kero in because I was going up to canada in the winter, kero cuts the fuel and makes if flow better in sub zero temps
Just looked it up in Road & Travel
Nice looking as well and suprisingly I wasn't floored by the price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 PM

3,858 posts, read 8,059,980 times
Quote:
'05 mecerdes benz e320 cdi, it is legal in 45 states and now marketed as a "blutec" engine, volkswagon has their TDI that puts up similar numbers and as someone noted cars like this are common in europe where almost half the cars sold are these new advanced diesels. Americans are clueless about diesels, I've had people act hysterical when I am fueling because they've never seen a car like mine that runs on diesel and they think I am using the wrong fuel, and I had one guy really lose it when I put some kero in because I was going up to canada in the winter, kero cuts the fuel and makes if flow better in sub zero temps
Whoopee for you. I get 21 MPG highway and 18-19 around town, which is remarkably better than an F-350 gasser. I didn't start this thread accusing anyone of being a "fuel hog" either. I'm sure your Mercedes is nice, but call me when it can pull a 40" round stump out of the ground, haul 3,000 lbs of number one short to the scrap yard, or tow a backhoe. Again, from where I sit, its fun to laugh at people driving H2s, but I would never support a measure to tell people what to drive.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-11-2007 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: off topic --

Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,852,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
Yes, but it is hardly confined to just Al Gore. This summer, I was out in the Hamptons while Hillary was doing her fund raising weekend. Not a minute went by when there wasn't a private jet flying overhead. As someone who goes out there fairly often, I can say that it was far beyond the typical weekend in the Hamptons. These "limousine liberals" think nothing of flying these jets all over the place and telling us we should drive a prius.
that is the definition of the classic limousine liberal, you do what's good for society, but you can't expect ME to give up my private jet!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Whoopee for you. I get 21 MPG highway and 18-19 around town, which is remarkably better than an F-350 gasser. I didn't start this thread accusing anyone of being a "fuel hog" either. I'm sure your Mercedes is nice, but call me when it can pull a 40" round stump out of the ground, haul 3,000 lbs of number one short to the scrap yard, or tow a backhoe.
if I needed to do those tasks I'd own a machine that could perform those tasks, the point you are missing is that the enviro facists want to eliminate your ability to own that inefficient vehicle in order to serve the greater good of societies need of lower fuel consumption,

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-11-2007 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-11-2007, 12:55 PM

3,858 posts, read 8,059,980 times
Quote:
if I needed to do those tasks I'd own a machine that could perform those tasks, the point you are missing is that the enviro facists want to eliminate your ability to own that inefficient vehicle in order to serve the greater good of societies need of lower fuel consumption, ?
I use biodiesel because its cheap for me, and because I support farming in New Jersey, hell I support farming in general! I know there are people out there who want everyone driving Priuses or Prii, or whatever the hell you call them, but until a Prius can do all things I mentioned, it aint gonna happen. I'm not worried about the opinion of three people on a message board.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-11-2007 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just looked it up in Road & Travel
Nice looking as well and suprisingly I wasn't floored by the price
Ive been driving these things for 20 years, they're very hard to buy used because most people don't let go of them, 250k miles on these things is just breaking in, I have 83k on mine already

Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,550,230 times
Quote:
naive and simplistic, you've left out way too many variables to make this wackiness appear intelligent.
I don't want to drive a prius, most people don't. some people need the room a large vehicle offers, and would need 2 priuses to do the job of their 1 suv, I guess that puts a wrench in your half baked calculations.
If a single child is so big, one must end up in an entirely separate Prius.. wow we got some issues.

Quote:
I don't care how much fuel costs because at some point the price will get too high and that is when alternative sources of energy or travel will be developed
I vote for teleportation.

Quote:
or people will be forced into dramatically different lifestyles, places like scranton will revert to being jerky backwater hick towns as people flood into the large cities to concentrate because they will no longer have freedom of movement and economics of scale will rule.
Mad Max style?

Quote:
The reality is that the marketplace will always keep things in balance as long as kooks and charlatans aren't permitted to meddle in the marketplace

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-11-2007 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-11-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
If a single child is so big, one must end up in an entirely separate Prius.. wow we got some issues..
is this china? where families are allowed only 1 child?
I know of many familes of 2, 3, 4, 5 children, how would you transport a family of that size?
2 priuses consume more fuel than 1 suv.
1 size does not fit all.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I'm sure your Mercedes is nice, but call me when it can pull a 40" round stump out of the ground, haul 3,000 lbs of number one short to the scrap yard, or tow a backhoe.
Ok, it can't do 1.5 tons... its only recommended to 1 ton. Which is why I used to own one (well, two... one at a time though )

Old 10-11-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
is this china? where families are allowed only 1 child?
I know of many familes of 2, 3, 4, 5 children, how would you transport a family of that size?
2 priuses consume more fuel than 1 suv.
1 size does not fit all.
OP = one SUV, one child, one block.

kthanxbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or