U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2007, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
29,636 posts, read 65,729,652 times
Reputation: 15127

Advertisements

For what it's worth I abitrarily chose the Toyota Prius because it is one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles available for purchase in the U.S. today. I could have very easily referenced larger sedans, perhaps like the Toyota Camry Hybrid, which is likewise very fuel-efficient and offers plenty of room in the backseat, but I thought stacking the Hummer against its most ecologically-friendly adversary would be the biggest "reality check" I could possibly provide in terms of shock value. Any way you slice it, saving 1/6, 1/4, 1/2, 1/8, or whatever in terms of overall gasoline consumption is better than saving none at all when it comes to the issue of a dwindling supply and rising demand pushing prices through the roof. If you still prefer the perceived "safety" on an SUV, then what's wrong with purchasing a Ford Escape hybrid or one of those Lexus SUV hybrids (I forget which model they are---perhaps the RX30?) If you "can't fit a child" into any one of these vehicles besides a Hummer, then perhaps it is time to send little Johnnie or Susie to a camp? Driving a vehicle that nets 25 miles per gallon is still better than driving a Hummer, and that's the point I was trying to convey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ/Ponte Vedra FL/NYC
2,689 posts, read 2,859,643 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
For what it's worth I abitrarily chose the Toyota Prius because it is one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles available for purchase in the U.S. today. I could have very easily referenced larger sedans, perhaps like the Toyota Camry Hybrid, which is likewise very fuel-efficient and offers plenty of room in the backseat, but I thought stacking the Hummer against its most ecologically-friendly adversary would be the biggest "reality check" I could possibly provide in terms of shock value. Any way you slice it, saving 1/6, 1/4, 1/2, 1/8, or whatever in terms of overall gasoline consumption is better than saving none at all when it comes to the issue of a dwindling supply and rising demand pushing prices through the roof. If you still prefer the perceived "safety" on an SUV, then what's wrong with purchasing a Ford Escape hybrid or one of those Lexus SUV hybrids (I forget which model they are---perhaps the RX30?) If you "can't fit a child" into any one of these vehicles besides a Hummer, then perhaps it is time to send little Johnnie or Susie to a camp? Driving a vehicle that nets 25 miles per gallon is still better than driving a Hummer, and that's the point I was trying to convey.
I can only speak for the lexus, the hybrid model costs more than 8k more that the gas version, if you do the math at 20k miles per year, it would take 7 or 8 years to yield any savings,there is no cost saving for me to be derived from driving the hybrid, sorry I am not paying 8k more just to feel good about saving fuel.
In addition while a prius may work for some people, it doesn't work for everyone, as noted in other responses it is an impractical car for a large family, and in my case the majority of my driving is high speed highway driving, the prius gives it's best results in stop and go city conditions which may be how some prius owners drive, but on long distance runs at high speeds there is little savings given by a prius versus my mercedes, and my mercedes is hands down a larger, safe, more comfortable ride than a prius.

again you fail to realize that one size does not fit all, and that is the beauty of our free and open society, we are free to chose solutions that fit our needs, not the needs of a centralized planning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 03:49 PM
 
1,263 posts, read 3,658,542 times
Reputation: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
One flight on a private jet probably uses more fuel than a hummer could use in a year, yet nobody seems to complain about that. When our "socially responsible" role models start flying commercial, maybe I will take them more seriously.
Amen to that! I haven't read the whole thread, but I am SOOOO SICK of the liberal Hollywood/Washington freaks who try to preach conservation to us, despite being masters of excess themselves. Some of them have the nerve to brag about owning a hybrid vehicle, while they fly all around the world on private jets, and live in ridiculously large homes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
2,179 posts, read 5,985,552 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
For what it's worth I abitrarily chose the Toyota Prius because it is one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles available for purchase in the U.S. today. I could have very easily referenced larger sedans, perhaps like the Toyota Camry Hybrid, which is likewise very fuel-efficient and offers plenty of room in the backseat, but I thought stacking the Hummer against its most ecologically-friendly adversary would be the biggest "reality check" I could possibly provide in terms of shock value. Any way you slice it, saving 1/6, 1/4, 1/2, 1/8, or whatever in terms of overall gasoline consumption is better than saving none at all when it comes to the issue of a dwindling supply and rising demand pushing prices through the roof. If you still prefer the perceived "safety" on an SUV, then what's wrong with purchasing a Ford Escape hybrid or one of those Lexus SUV hybrids (I forget which model they are---perhaps the RX30?) If you "can't fit a child" into any one of these vehicles besides a Hummer, then perhaps it is time to send little Johnnie or Susie to a camp? Driving a vehicle that nets 25 miles per gallon is still better than driving a Hummer, and that's the point I was trying to convey.
I drive a 4133 pound S class (330 horsepower and a big V-8) and it gets almost 28 MPG on the highway. I'd much rather be in that over a Prius in an accident.

When I was car shopping last spring, I looked at all the Lexus Hybrids and honestly, a hybrid is one of the biggest scams going. The fuel savings is not impressive and for a few thousand more? No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
9,689 posts, read 9,502,010 times
Reputation: 6794
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I drive a 4133 pound S class (330 horsepower and a big V-8) and it gets almost 28 MPG on the highway. I'd much rather be in that over a Prius in an accident.

When I was car shopping last spring, I looked at all the Lexus Hybrids and honestly, a hybrid is one of the biggest scams going. The fuel savings is not impressive and for a few thousand more? No way.
You paid a $1000 "gas guzzler" tax for that car. I know because I paid it too. Ironic that a Hummer doesn't get charged the tax because utility vehicles are exempt. I also dont think I ever got 28 MPG in that car, even on the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
2,179 posts, read 5,985,552 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
You paid a $1000 "gas guzzler" tax for that car. I know because I paid it too. Ironic that a Hummer doesn't get charged the tax because utility vehicles are exempt. I also dont think I ever got 28 MPG in that car, even on the highway.
It's going to Wilkes-Barre on Saturday AM so I will get a pic of the mileage for you. I can get it to 27.8. Impressive for a car that weighs that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
29,636 posts, read 65,729,652 times
Reputation: 15127
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
It's going to Wilkes-Barre on Saturday AM so I will get a pic of the mileage for you. I can get it to 27.8. Impressive for a car that weighs that much.
You better get your fill of PA now because once I-80 becomes a toll road across the commonwealth it's going to be a nightmare. I wonder what all of the PA===> NJ/NYC commmuter transplants are going to do to avoid paying the tolls every morning and evening; I suppose E-Z-Pass is an option for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
2,179 posts, read 5,985,552 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
You better get your fill of PA now because once I-80 becomes a toll road across the commonwealth it's going to be a nightmare. I wonder what all of the PA===> NJ/NYC commmuter transplants are going to do to avoid paying the tolls every morning and evening; I suppose E-Z-Pass is an option for them.
EZ-Pass discounts are always a good time. I look at it this way. When 80 becomes a toll road, I will just skip the Starbucks before I head out. Less money to the corporate machine, more money to the corrupt political machine, and less calories being ingested.

People complained when the Verrazano Bridge went to 9 dollars but sure enough, the back-up on the Staten Italy Expressway is still terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 05:39 PM
 
6 posts, read 21,925 times
Reputation: 14
I am one of those moms who has picked up/dropped off her kids in my '02 Suburban. We bought this when we lived in San Diego County knowing that we would be driving from the west coast to the east to move here. We have 3 small kids, a cat and a 75 lb dog plus my husband and I, a roof top carrier and a it was pulling a u-haul for almost 2800 miles. We looked in to buying a mini-van but to us, it was too small for what we had planned. Right now I maybe drive 20 miles a week so the gas is not a real problem for us, plus we knew what we were getting when we bought it. I love my Suburban and when I ride in my husbands company owned '07 Honda Accord, it just feels small. I will keep this for years, not because it needs to be paid off because it already is but because it fits our family. We are wanting to buy a trailer for vacations and it will be perfect for that. Believe me, I have seen more Hummers, Suburbans and even the old Expeditions in San Diego County that are status symbols, ours is not. In fact, considering the weather back here, in that I mean there is weather here, we expected to see more of them but I think there is more back in San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 06:08 PM
 
1,263 posts, read 3,658,542 times
Reputation: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonj View Post
I am one of those moms who has picked up/dropped off her kids in my '02 Suburban. We bought this when we lived in San Diego County knowing that we would be driving from the west coast to the east to move here. We have 3 small kids, a cat and a 75 lb dog plus my husband and I, a roof top carrier and a it was pulling a u-haul for almost 2800 miles. We looked in to buying a mini-van but to us, it was too small for what we had planned. Right now I maybe drive 20 miles a week so the gas is not a real problem for us, plus we knew what we were getting when we bought it. I love my Suburban and when I ride in my husbands company owned '07 Honda Accord, it just feels small. I will keep this for years, not because it needs to be paid off because it already is but because it fits our family. We are wanting to buy a trailer for vacations and it will be perfect for that. Believe me, I have seen more Hummers, Suburbans and even the old Expeditions in San Diego County that are status symbols, ours is not. In fact, considering the weather back here, in that I mean there is weather here, we expected to see more of them but I think there is more back in San Diego?
You are so right, you can never have enough room, especially when traveling. I miss our travel trailer. Hope to get another one in the near future. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top