U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:13 AM

3,269 posts, read 8,732,538 times

Advertisements

This is why people put their kids in SUV's and not Toyota Corollas:

"Among passenger cars, light 2,000-pound cars have about four times the fatality rate of 5,000-pound heavyweights. Big SUVs have the weight advantage, too, but they lose some of it in the fatality stats due to the high likelihood of rollover."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,554,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
More then likely because many in NM don't have the income to afford them
Exactly how much does a Hummer start at...and they are ugly to boot imo
New hummers aren't expensive - the H3 is like $24k to start, iirc.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 AM

5,372 posts, read 10,146,875 times
I figured this will get the blood boiling.This is ones own preference and no I do not dislike anyone from owning them. One poster adds that they are safer but the rollover rate is high. One poster says after 2 kids and luggage its full. Come one you could put a baseball team in them. I guess they took the place of yesteryears good old station wagon. One poster needs it for the mountains. All good observations but why oh why does someone with one or two little kids drive them. I would be scared of running over my own children.l

Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 AM

7,966 posts, read 16,797,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
More then likely because many in NM don't have the income to afford them

Affordability is clearly the issue. In fact, to give you an idea of the contrast here, I was shocked when I first moved here and I didn't see any of those inspection decals located in the lower left corner of the windshield. I inquired about this, and was told there is never a re-inspection required for vehicles. When I asked about the reasoning behind it, I was told the lack of restriction gives motorists who can not afford upkeep on their vehicles the ability to get to work. However, in Albuquerque, emissions testing is a requirement, unlike the rest of the state. Truly a different world here.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 AM

12,948 posts, read 24,092,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Affordability is clearly the issue. In fact, to give you an idea of the contrast here, I was shocked when I first moved here and I didn't see any of those inspection decals located in the lower left corner of the windshield. I inquired about this, and was told there is never a re-inspection required for vehicles. When I asked about the reasoning behind it, I was told the lack of restriction gives motorists who can not afford upkeep on their vehicles the ability to get to work. However, in Albuquerque, emissions testing is a requirement, unlike the rest of the state. Truly a different world here.

Add in the high cost of gas and the amount of MPG..the super huge SUV's can be expensive!!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 AM

12,948 posts, read 24,092,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I figured this will get the blood boiling.This is ones own preference and no I do not dislike anyone from owning them. One poster adds that they are safer but the rollover rate is high. One poster says after 2 kids and luggage its full. Come one you could put a baseball team in them. I guess they took the place of yesteryears good old station wagon. One poster needs it for the mountains. All good observations but why oh why does someone with one or two little kids drive them. I would be scared of running over my own children.l

Actually in the newer models they have improved on the "roll over rate"
My Jeep has some kinda stabilizing thingy..yeah yeah I'm a chick only read the good stuff like working the satelite radio in the owners book

Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM

2,689 posts, read 2,858,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I'm off today and unfortunately have some time on my hands, I live next to a grammar school and I was amazed at the amount of SUVs dropping one child off to attend school. Hummers 3 or 4, suburbans double digits, tahoes double digits, excursions about 5 or 6. I don't want to sound sexist but why does a young lady or woman need to drop off little Johnny or Allison in a 8,000 pound truck. And yes I did see one guy with a hummer. These people to me seem like that they like to show off there ride. I doubt that they are headed to a construction site to pull a trailer or that they are headed to Iraq with the hummer. Our troops drive them vehicles in combat. The governor and president travel in them. GIVE ME A BREAK. Well it can't be that they are easy to park at the mall, they don't fit into the parking spots. Forget about even attempting to park them in a city . Oh it most be the great gas mileage. I guess its a Jersey thing Mcmansions and SUVs. I own a Corolla and if I was able to afford a oversized SUV IMHO its impractical and foolish. Its a personal opinion so don't bite to hard.LOL
why is it any of your business how people chose to spend their money?
try minding your own business!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,554,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
This is why people put their kids in SUV's and not Toyota Corollas:

"Among passenger cars, light 2,000-pound cars have about four times the fatality rate of 5,000-pound heavyweights. Big SUVs have the weight advantage, too, but they lose some of it in the fatality stats due to the high likelihood of rollover."
When was that study from?

Passenger cars typically have a greater focus on safety features than in SUV's. Additionally, in a head on accident... yes, the impact will be greater damaging the lighter car - however, in an accident, SUV's typically *will* rollover. I'm not talking about rollover from taking a turn to tight, I'm talking head on collision. The SUV normally will use the car as a bit of a ramp, and flip.

From my experiences with accidents (FD), I'd call them about the same.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,417,520 times
He's just enviromentally sensitive maybe. No, it sounds more like a lecture on finances again. The whole everyone is up to their ears in debt thing.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 AM

9,687 posts, read 9,497,878 times
My wife drives an SUV because you can barely fit 2 strollers in the trunk of a sedan. Not to mention toys, groceries, luggage, etc... etc... etc.... Then, when you carpool to school and have to bring other kids in the car, the extra space comes in handy. And it's not like the old days when kids could just squeeze into the back seat. Those child seats are big. Most sedans can only fit 2 in the back. Large sedans can fit 3, but either way, there is not much room for anything else.

Now you are left with the choice of a minivan, a station wagon, or an SUV. Out of the three, most people like the SUV's the best.

What brand of SUV is another story. Getting a Mercedes is more of a status symbol than getting a Honda, but thats not an"SUV" issue. Thats a general "car" issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or