U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:09 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,852,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The funniest part for me is watching these big SUV's pull out of the subdivision that's directly across the street from the school to drop little Johnny or Suzie off for school. In the afternoon, those same SUV's are sitting in the parking lot with the engines running (to keep the AC cold) for 20 minutes so they can get "a good spot in line" to pick little Johnny or Suzie up. After picking up/dropping off, they then pull back across the street and head back to the house, so the "I drop them off on the way to work" excuse doesn't fly.

What happened to walking to school????? This is a semi-rural area, so some kids live too far to walk, but I'm talking about a door-to-door walk of less than 1/4 of a mile. And before anyone asks, there'sa crossing guard there at the school to stop traffic if necessary, though the only reason she has to stop traffic is to let cars out of the parking lot. We used to walk to/from school along a very busy road. Last time I was near the house we grew up in, I clocked the distance, and it was well over 1/2 a mile. I don't want to turn this into a Bill Cosby "we used to walk 10 miles, uphill, both ways" conversation, but have we really gotten that lazy???

Bob

I don't know about the situation where you live but even in suburban areas a 1/4 of a mile walk for a young child can be full of dangers, many places are inhospitable to pedestrians, young kids walking on the side of busy roads is just unsafe on many different levels. it's not about lazy it's about safety.
When you have little ones I am sure your tune would change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
I agree 100% in theory. Maybe obesity wouldn't be such an issue if our kids did walk not only to school, but to a friend's house, store, etc. Society has become so depraved it isn't even a consderation for safety reasons. I became a stay at home mom solely to be my kids chaufer to and fro school. There were no other options, busing was only provided if you live more than 2 miles from school. You could live in the safest community on earth but who is going to let their kdis walk 1.8 miles (they DO come and check)? Anyway, back to the OP. I live in an upper-calss town and have seen it all. A guy that regularly drives his Rolls to p/u his kids is the best. Hummers are common,as well as Escalades, Navigters etc. I know some of these people are on the verge of bankruptcy. Let's face it, they don't own them..the majority are leased. This is a "feel-good society" and for some a vehicle accomplishes just that. I am happy with my 2001 Honda Accord.
1. how do you know that they are near bankruptcy? are you their CPA?

2. what is it your business if their cars are owned or leased? leasing a depreciating asset makes sense for many people, maybe it isn't a good choice for you, but one size does not fit all.

3. does the fact that you are driving a 6 year old vehicle make you superior to those people who have newer cars?
or are you just a cheapskate? [assumptions can be made in every case]

Old 10-10-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
oh for god's sakes, calm the hell down. you must've missed the part where i said "whatever floats your boat" and "i could care less". go rant on someone else.
if you could care less why are you always laughing at them? why are you relating their issues here?
obviously you care more than you think

Old 10-10-2007, 12:24 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,137,208 times
APV, take an aspirin and chill, it's a conversation piece and most of us like to hear others opinion. Thats why this is an open forum and we are justing killing a little time listening to everyones opinion and the different cars and SUVs that they are driving. No harm no foul take a deap breath and then exhale. Feel better

Old 10-10-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
APV, take an aspirin and chill, it's a conversation piece and most of us like to hear others opinion. Thats why this is an open forum and we are justing killing a little time listening to everyones opinion and the different cars and SUVs that they are driving. No harm no foul take a deap breath and then exhale. Feel better

nah, it's just a bunch of jealous insecure busybodies justifying their own sense of worth.

y'all need to learn to live and let live, if some people are so shallow they base their decisions on their neighbors worth or values based on how big, new, expensive their cars or homes are then they have real issues regarding their own self esteem. I am sick of nosy busybodies commenting on how someone else has no need to own a big car or house.
nobody needs anything beyond basic shelter, food and clean water, anything beyond that is a luxury, and if some people can have "nicer" luxuries than some other people, tough!

I own 3 cars, 1 an SUV, 2 houses, one of them is 5k sq feet and I dare anyone to question my needing them or how wasteful I am, and if someone did, I'd tell them to kiss my derriere

Old 10-10-2007, 12:45 PM

12,937 posts, read 24,071,180 times
I own 3 cars, 1 an SUV, 2 houses, one of them is 5k sq feet and I dare anyone to question my needing them or how wasteful I am, and if someone did, I'd tell them to kiss my derriere

Well good for you!!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...last time I checked this was still the USA.
It's a forum..people express their feelings..........so what???

If threads such as these get your knickers in a twist...simple solution..don't read them..ignore!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:53 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,549,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
if people are up to their ears in debt, it isn't anyone else's problem but the debtors and the people who are giving the credit.
Ok, I can't help but answer.

It does effect people other than the debtors and the creditors. It effects the people who invest in the creditors, it effects market value of goods, it can cause long term issues for the economy (look at the value of the dollar due, in good part, to the subprime lending practices), and so on.

I'm all for letting people make their own decisions. It won't stop me from commenting on it, because I do invest, I do care about skyrocketing market values for goods while production costs and labor costs (in relative terms) decrease.

Why? Because I do my best not to be stupid with my money. When others are, it makes life harder for me.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

Well good for you!!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...last time I checked this was still the USA.
It's a forum..people express their feelings..........so what???

If threads such as these get your knickers in a twist...simple solution..don't read them..ignore!

and it is my opinion that people sticking their noses into other people's business is the worst kind of tackiness, and belies their insecurities.

just like sticking your nose into what cars people buy, you shouldn't be trying to decide for me what I can read or what or how I can respond.
I have not been insulting or profane, I am just adding my views
if that's ok with you!

like you noted this is an open forum for the sharing opinions, all I am doing is commenting on how I see things.

It is too bad you do not share my view of things but you certainly have no business telling me or anyone else what to read or respond to.

if you don't like my views on this subject, you too are free not to read or respond.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Ok, I can't help but answer.

It does effect people other than the debtors and the creditors. It effects the people who invest in the creditors, it effects market value of goods, it can cause long term issues for the economy (look at the value of the dollar due, in good part, to the subprime lending practices), and so on.

I'm all for letting people make their own decisions. It won't stop me from commenting on it, because I do invest, I do care about skyrocketing market values for goods while production costs and labor costs (in relative terms) decrease.

Why? Because I do my best not to be stupid with my money. When others are, it makes life harder for me.
but you are in no position to determine how others handle their finances their lives, people are still free to do as they please (keeping legal of course)
and if their acts affect your investments the only thing that you can do is to be adept enough to recognize the changes their acts cause and adjust your investments to minimize your exposure to things that other people's acts can effect your investments. Thinking that you can or should modify other people's behavior is just plain foolish demagoguery

Old 10-10-2007, 01:04 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,137,208 times
APV, I guess your one on busybodies becuase last time I checked you were posting on the forum also. Time to move on. Most of us don't care if you own a golf ball all the way up to a good year blimp. Most of the posters are very successful also. Take the deep breath one more time it might work this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or