U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:52 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,087,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
After people like you drive up gas prices by using up the available supplies, will you tell me that I shouldn't be mad about $10294710294810247/gallon prices, and that I should mind my own business?
Just ignore, it's useless... this person is obviously thriving from his/her aggressive postings and the responses thereof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,553,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Just ignore, it's useless... this person is obviously thriving from his/her aggressive postings and the responses thereof.
Except for me, I'm not aggressive - which is why I'm enjoying debating this point Whether or not APV is... well... his problem.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,856,576 times
Quote:
After people like you drive up gas prices by using up the available supplies, will you tell me that I shouldn't be mad about $10294710294810247/gallon prices, and that I should mind my own business?

how quaint and naive

there's a big world out there grasshopper
as people in the rest of the world attain more affluence, they are competing for the same resources you are.
eco 101, more buyers competing for a finite supply of resources will always result in higher prices, regardless of what I, you or another schmo is driving

Old 10-10-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
how quaint and naive

there's a big world out there grasshopper
as people in the rest of the world attain more affluence, they are competing for the same resources you are.
So what you're saying is, theres 10 billion SUV drivers out there, and they are all using massive amounts of oil and driving up fuel prices?

So then you agree with me.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
So what you're saying is, theres 10 billion SUV drivers out there, and they are all using massive amounts of oil and driving up fuel prices?

So then you agree with me.
regardless of the shape of the metal they are driving, more vehicles means more consumption means more demand for resources, means higher prices.
basic economics

Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,087,993 times
Quote:
Except for me, I'm not aggressive - which is why I'm enjoying debating this point Whether or not APV is... well... his problem.
You enjoy debating with people who are condescending? Well, more power to ya'!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
regardless of the shape of the metal they are driving, more vehicles means more consumption means more demand for resources, means higher prices.
basic economics
Basic is right. A bit too basic for a realistic view.

Take Europe as an example. Do you know what kind of engine you can get in a Jeep over there?

A diesel one!

But you say "Pish posh, I thought Europe was full of hippies with long bears, and hair in a pony tail! They would never use a dirty diesel!" Aha! 1970's mentality! Diesels are cleaner, more efficient, and actually maintain their NO and carbon particulate output over time, unlike our gasoline engines over here. However, poorly written California law has made many diesels unable to be brought over here! At the same time, its much easier for American companies, like Jeep, Chrysler (even before Daimler), etc. to sell diesels over there that we can't get here. Add to that the fact that you can use biodiesel, without any modifications whatsoever, and what do you have? A vehicle with a renewable energy source! Tada! As biodiesel is best made from rapeseed oils, farms become a new valuable resource to our economy, and we no longer need government subsidy for them. Thus, potential area for lower taxes!

Now, we can also take this from the much smaller view of "basic" economics. More people driving = more fuel consumption. More people driving bigger, fuel hungry vehicles = even more fuel consumption. More people driving fuel efficient vehicles = even less fuel consumption. More people driving biodiesel = something to smile about.

Hooray basic economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
You enjoy debating with people who are condescending? Well, more power to ya'!
Eh, I've been dealing with that for years. I grew up poor, moved to a town filled with rich people, while still being poor. I don't mind, because usually when I do open my mouth, I'm right.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:35 PM

9,675 posts, read 9,494,101 times
I'm not so sure higher gas prices are such a bad thing. In fact, one of the Star Ledger reporters often touts a $3.00 per gallon gas tax, and I agree with him.

Maybe it would lead to a revitalization of our cities.

Maybe it would light a fire under our butts to develop alternative fuel.

Maybe we could turn Iran back into a worthless pile of sand without the need for oil.

Maybe people would stop buying those SUV's you guys seem to hate. But at least it will be a personal choice.

Maybe we could use the extra tax money to lower property taxes.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Basic is right. A bit too basic for a realistic view.

Take Europe as an example. Do you know what kind of engine you can get in a Jeep over there?

A diesel one!
wow what a novel concept!
please don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back
I've been driving a diesel
for almost 20 years.
nice try at oneupsmanship, maybe next time, eh?

Quote:

Now, we can also take this from the much smaller view of "basic" economics. More people driving = more fuel consumption. More people driving bigger, fuel hungry vehicles = even more fuel consumption. More people driving fuel efficient vehicles = even less fuel consumption. More people driving biodiesel = something to smile about.
do you use biodiesel?
I don't and won't, maybe willie nelson can afford to use the stuff but us regular guys can't afford the time or money needed to run a car on vege oil.
yes grasshopper there is a downside to using the stuff, the need to constantly replace filters and hoses are just a couple of big issues.

nice try dodging the real issue that you brought up, higher prices.

one thing you don't seem to grasp is whether you burn diesel or gas, or even ethanol, you are still contributing to increasing demand for the raw material, which is crude oil.
when you figure out how to effect lower consumption then you'll be onto something

Old 10-10-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
wow what a novel concept!
please don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back
I've been driving a diesel
for almost 20 years.
nice try at oneupsmanship, maybe next time, eh?
Pointing out that SUV's are fuel inefficient, and that smaller cars are more efficient, and additionally, diesels are even better is oneupsmanship? Hmm. Not sure I follow you there.

Apparently you haven't been typing for 20 years though, so just as a side point of note, you usually don't press "ENTER" mid sentence. It makes things a bit harder to read.

Quote:
do you use biodiesel?
I don't and won't, maybe willie nelson can afford to use the stuff but us regular guys can't afford the time or money needed to run a car on vege oil.
I used to. I don't own a diesel anymore, though I plan on picking up another benz diesel (my favorite kind) after moving.

Quote:
yes grasshopper there is a downside to using the stuff, the need to constantly replace filters and hoses are just a couple of big issues.
Notsomuch.

In the beginning stages, sure. Biodiesel burns alot better than its petro counterpart and does move better (picking up the sludge in your fuel tank), but thats not really the case after regular usage. Plus, you get less sediment in your fuel system

As far as hose goes, biodiesel degrades rubber-based hoses. Who sells new cars with rubber hoses in them anymore? Facts are good.

Quote:
nice try dodging the real issue that you brought up, higher prices.
Again, not sure I follow your logic.

Quote:
one thing you don't seem to grasp is whether you burn diesel or gas, or even ethanol, you are still contributing to increasing demand for the raw material, which is crude oil.
When you use one (fuel efficient) thing instead of another (fuel inefficient) thing, you increase demand? Hmm.

Quote:
when you figure out how to effect lower consumption then you'll be onto something
You mean by using a different fuel, as I mentioned earlier?

JERSEYMAN: Oops! I've inadvertently committed a threadjacking. Sorry bout that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or