U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:15 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,990,274 times

Advertisements

Wow, it only took this thread 9 hours to go from interesting to downright stupid! Quick, someone go get DianeGiam to tell us Tennessee has a better kind of gas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 06:29 PM

5,374 posts, read 10,163,830 times
CuCullan, Better you than me, I didn't want to waste my time anymore as this happened to myself about colleges the other day with a poster from North Carolina. If you ignore ignorant people they usually go away.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM

562 posts, read 2,378,612 times
i did not read this entire thread.. but has anyone mentioned that maybe they were thinking safety?? it's pretty safe to be in a SUV..

Old 10-11-2007, 08:01 AM

12,949 posts, read 24,128,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Wow, it only took this thread 9 hours to go from interesting to downright stupid! Quick, someone go get DianeGiam to tell us Tennessee has a better kind of gas!
Hmmm and where has our star jersey Basher been lately!!
I was waiting for the imput on SUV's in TN

Old 10-11-2007, 08:16 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,017,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post

BWHAHAHAHA! Unbeliveable! What a strange thing for kort to get so fired up about. I miss DianeGiam~~ (did I just say that? )

Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,562,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
i did not read this entire thread.. but has anyone mentioned that maybe they were thinking safety?? it's pretty safe to be in a SUV..
Posted about that earlier. Its really not.. I don't know what page I mentioned it on though.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 AM

56 posts, read 224,575 times
I have a large SUV, a Toyota Land Cruiser, to be exact,my kids are grown, but I use it to transport my 3 dogs now and to go to recycling (how ironic) and to carry my luggage when I travel. It's the slippery slope argument, I know, but there's no way I'd get my 3 hounds in a mini cooper. I'm just sayin.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:11 PM

29,636 posts, read 65,783,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
More then likely because many in NM don't have the income to afford them
So people in NJ don't have the money to afford property taxes, yet they have the money to purchase Hummers. I understand things perfectly now. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:19 PM

29,636 posts, read 65,783,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
why is it any of your business how people chose to spend their money?
try minding your own business!
It IS our business as a society to intervene when others are being socially-irresponsible in the allocation of scarce resources. Gasoline prices are going up for everyone because demand is increasing. As supply of this non-renewable resource dwindles, prices increase---that's just basic economics. As more and more people buy Hummers just to "look cool", our resources are being depleted more quickly, leading to more drastic increases in price for everyone, including those of us who drive fuel-efficient vehicles to be socially-responsible in an effort to slow the depletion of gasoline. Why should people who drive fuel-efficient vehicles, like me, be punished financially just so others can say "It's a free country. I'll do what I want?" How about you people drive your Hummers and then reimburse the rest of us for the extra expenses each year we incur from paying higher gas prices via a "gas-guzzler tax." Perhaps when you realize just how closely demand and price are related you will all stop with the "capitalism" excuse as a reason to justify buying a Hummer at the expense of others. I figured a state with so many college degree holders would have residents who knew more about the depletion of scarce resources leading to price increases for said resource, but I suppose I was wrong.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:31 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,868,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
It IS our business as a society to intervene when others are being socially-irresponsible in the allocation of scarce resources. Gasoline prices are going up for everyone because demand is increasing. As supply of this non-renewable resource dwindles, prices increase---that's just basic economics. As more and more people buy Hummers just to "look cool", our resources are being depleted more quickly, leading to more drastic increases in price for everyone, including those of us who drive fuel-efficient vehicles to be socially-responsible in an effort to slow the depletion of gasoline. Why should people who drive fuel-efficient vehicles, like me, be punished financially just so others can say "It's a free country. I'll do what I want?" How about you people drive your Hummers and then reimburse the rest of us for the extra expenses each year we incur from paying higher gas prices via a "gas-guzzler tax." Perhaps when you realize just how closely demand and price are related you will all stop with the "capitalism" excuse as a reason to justify buying a Hummer at the expense of others. I figured a state with so many college degree holders would have residents who knew more about the depletion of scarce resources leading to price increases for said resource, but I suppose I was wrong.

typical naive liberal groupthink, society has no right to determine how I spend my money, how I use resources available to all, how much debt I care to carry, like I noted earlier, next you'll be telling me what church to go to and what I can eat, oops they're already doing that!
One fact you fail to recognize is that the users of cars that use more fuel is the fact that they pay more taxes because they buy more fuel, you feel good driving an econobox, good for you, but to try and force others to share your views under the misguided guise of your idea of what is right and wrong is the beginning of slippery slope.
what the so called do gooders like you don't grasp is that there is no one size solution to problems that fits all. the east germans tried it, everyone got a white trabant, a terrible car that was an under powered, unsafe polluting hunk of metal, the first possession they dumped when they were liberated from the tyranny they suffered under was that piece of crap car.

You ideas make you appear as a poster boy for demagoguery and tyranny, god save us from your ilk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or