Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Was the Horse & Buggy out yet? ohhhhhhhh!
Careful now, or I might have to beat your with my cane.....

Actually, I'm not as old as I may seem- now, Tahiti, on the other hand, may remember the horse & buggy days..........

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I always knew you were evil!

I remember when we were walking back and forth to school, we'd do it in the rain as well. We used to have to go under a railroad underpass, and every time there was a decent rain, the underpass would flood. The only way home then was to use the stairs next to the roadway that went down under the train tracks and back up the other side. Well, on several occasions it rained so hard that the stairwell got around a foot of water in it as well- we just took off our shoes, rolled up our pants, and waded across to the other side. Can you imagine telling today's kids to do that???? lol

Bob
LOL! I used to have to walk under an underpass also (in all weather, in a skirt)! Remind me to post one day about the time I walked by a guy in a car "taking care of business". This was a route all the Catholic school GIRLS would take so he knew he'd have an audience...

Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Careful now, or I might have to beat your with my cane.....

Actually, I'm not as old as I may seem- now, Tahiti, on the other hand, may remember the horse & buggy days..........

Bob
HEY! I resemble that remark!! No really, I guess I come across as an old craggy dude when in fact I barely remember much before when HobokenGuy was born.

Now where's that Geritol?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
HEY! I resemble that remark!! No really, I guess I come across as an old craggy dude when in fact I barely remember much before when HobokenGuy was born.

Now where's that Geritol?
I dunno about the "dude" part, but craggy, maybe...

Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM

329 posts, read 1,442,372 times
Quote:
What happened to walking to school????? This is a semi-rural area, so some kids live too far to walk, but I'm talking about a door-to-door walk of less than 1/4 of a mile. And before anyone asks, there'sa crossing guard there at the school to stop traffic if necessary, though the only reason she has to stop traffic is to let cars out of the parking lot. We used to walk to/from school along a very busy road. Last time I was near the house we grew up in, I clocked the distance, and it was well over 1/2 a mile. I don't want to turn this into a Bill Cosby "we used to walk 10 miles, uphill, both ways" conversation, but have we really gotten that lazy???

Bob
I agree 100% in theory. Maybe obesity wouldn't be such an issue if our kids did walk not only to school, but to a friend's house, store, etc. Society has become so depraved it isn't even a consderation for safety reasons. I became a stay at home mom solely to be my kids chaufer to and fro school. There were no other options, busing was only provided if you live more than 2 miles from school. You could live in the safest community on earth but who is going to let their kdis walk 1.8 miles (they DO come and check)? Anyway, back to the OP. I live in an upper-calss town and have seen it all. A guy that regularly drives his Rolls to p/u his kids is the best. Hummers are common,as well as Escalades, Navigters etc. I know some of these people are on the verge of bankruptcy. Let's face it, they don't own them..the majority are leased. This is a "feel-good society" and for some a vehicle accomplishes just that. I am happy with my 2001 Honda Accord.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:52 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
LOL! I used to have to walk under an underpass also (in all weather, in a skirt)! Remind me to post one day about the time I walked by a guy in a car "taking care of business". This was a route all the Catholic school GIRLS would take so he knew he'd have an audience...

Ah yes the catholic school uniforms...sheesh I'd freeze my azz off in the winter walking to school...AND...there was NO cafeteria in my grammar school so you would have to walk back & forth twice as they sent you home for lunch

Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
He's just enviromentally sensitive maybe. No, it sounds more like a lecture on finances again. The whole everyone is up to their ears in debt thing.
why do people insist on counting other people's money?

why are people so interested in other peoples personal finances?
if people are up to their ears in debt, it isn't anyone else's problem but the debtors and the people who are giving the credit.

why does anyone else think they should be involved?
people need to tend to their own issues.

if someone doesn't like suv's they shouldn't buy one.

if someone doesn't like large houses, they shouldn't buy one.

if someone doesn't like debt, they should pay cash for everything.

nobody should be so full of themselves that they think they should preach how others spend their money or telling others what they should or shouldn't be buying.
[rant mode off]

Old 10-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
i laugh at some of the neighbors in my neighborhood - TOTALLY "jones" type people. one will get a toyota sequoia, a few weeks later another will drive up in an escalade, a few months after that another will drive home in a BMW X5. a year or two later "sequoia" family drives up in a Lexus G470. meanwhile, i drive by in my corolla with 120,000 miles on it.

i wouldn't buy one of these honkin SUV's simply because of the cost and gas mileage, it's a waste in my eyes. if they feel the need to spend those kind of bucks on a depreciating asset, i could care less. i also have a CR-V, which, with 2 small-ish kids, is plenty big. whatever floats your boat.
who cares? why is it any of your business what cars they bring home?
one size does not fit all and what works for you isn't universally correct!
goody for you that you drive some old clunkers, I'm glad that it makes you feel so superior to them, do you also tell them how to eat what you think would be more nutritious?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
APV, Its a conversation piece thats kind of loud the mind your own business thing, but whatever floats your boat. I should have been a little more specific. I mean the largest of the large not the smallest and mid class SUVs. Come on your going to tell me that some of the moms and yes dads buy them big HUMMERS for the childrens safety. Give me a break, they are status symbols. And I am not trying to OFFEND anyone its a topic with many different views.

and if they are status symbols so what?
MYOB!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
who cares? why is it any of your business what cars they bring home?
one size does not fit all and what works for you isn't universally correct!
goody for you that you drive some old clunkers, I'm glad that it makes you feel so superior to them, do you also tell them how to eat what you think would be more nutritious?
oh for god's sakes, calm the hell down. you must've missed the part where i said "whatever floats your boat" and "i could care less". go rant on someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: