U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 AM

10 posts, read 33,924 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to NJ and I like Montclair, but can't manage the prices. Any opinions about Glen Ridge? Seems like homes are cheaper there, but I haven't really seen much difference in the area (other than having fewer shops). Is this a good place to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,339,539 times
Glen Ridge is, for the most part, at least as expensive as Montclair, including the taxes. The part of GR that borders Bloomfield will be a bit less. It's considered a small, mostly white town with great schools.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,935,086 times
i agree with brookdale - i find it hard to believe GR is much less expensive than Montclair - maybe Upper Montclair. I personally love GR (i used to live 1/2 block from the GR Country Club) but the taxes would keep me out.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 PM

There may be a couple of blocks where it borders Bloomfield near Bloomfield High School that are more affordable. You might find this site helpful:
Baristanet

Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 PM

56 posts, read 262,229 times
Default Glen Ridge vs. Montclair

I can tell you as a local realtor that Essex County in general is not easy when it comes to taxes! However, you should know that all of Montclair; Upper Montclair and Montclair as well as Glen Ridge (throughout the town) have the same tax rate base. It's the houses that may vary in terms of size, lot size, upgrades, renovations, etc. that drive the prices.
Of course as in anywhere there areas of both towns that people find more/less desirable. Alot depends on what you're looking for in terms of size, number of bedrooms, baths, updates, garages, finished basements, large yards, etc.
There are more reasonably priced homes that are lovely throughout Montclair, Glen Ridge, Verona, Bloomfield. The Brookdale and Oakview sections of Bloomfield get alot of positive reaction and many young singles, couples, families can be found in all these towns.
Of course, Montclair has the amenities; restaurants, theatre, music, art that draw many to the town and neighboring towns.
And, schools play a significant role in where one decides to live...for themselves and for resale value. Glen Ridge has one of the top schools in the state, Montclair schools are well regarded with very strong parent involvement, Verona has excellent schools.
It's always about money but there are very strong factors on why anyone chooses one town over another.
Good luck with your search. Feel free to email me privately if you'd like an email of houses currently available...good to comparison shop!
Elaine

Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 22,403 times
Glen Ridge is great, I think it would be worth your while to check it out. We also found the houses to be less expensive in Glen Ridge than in Montclair when we were looking. I think it is because more people know about Montclair and because there are more restaurants, shops, etc. in Montclair itself. The south end of GR is walking distance to shops in Bloomfield, which aren't as high end as Montclair but work for my family. good luck in your search.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpat View Post
Glen Ridge is great, I think it would be worth your while to check it out. We also found the houses to be less expensive in Glen Ridge than in Montclair when we were looking. I think it is because more people know about Montclair and because there are more restaurants, shops, etc. in Montclair itself. The south end of GR is walking distance to shops in Bloomfield, which aren't as high end as Montclair but work for my family. good luck in your search.
These messages are 3 years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey