U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,216,879 times

Advertisements

Less people means less traffic

I just wish we'd stop voting for politicians with 'goodfellas' habits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,939,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Less people means less traffic

I just wish we'd stop voting for politicians with 'goodfellas' habits
YES! I was going to post - "Good, more room for ME" (since it is all about me, afterall )

Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 AM

299 posts, read 1,194,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
NJ.com: Everything Jersey

A very good article in today's Star Ledger that chronicles people much like myself, who 'voted with their feet', not because they were really enthusiatic about it, or disliked NJ per se, but rather because high taxes gave them no alternative. "The population outflow is real, is approaching worrisome dimensions, and is exerting a small but increasingly negative impact on the New Jersey economy."
Any statistics on age group leaving? The baby boomers will start retiring in a few years not to mention the early retirees leaving now. I know that Delaware gives a real estate tax break if you are over 65. I'm one the few looking to move back to New Jersey in a few years ( I hope)

Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Not for nothing but did that study account for the retarded state shutdown last year?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
YES! I was going to post - "Good, more room for ME" (since it is all about me, afterall )

Hopefully, if there's less people, townships will be forced to merge on a statewide scale. BWAHAHAHA

Old 10-10-2007, 12:05 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,098,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
Any statistics on age group leaving? The baby boomers will start retiring in a few years not to mention the early retirees leaving now. I know that Delaware gives a real estate tax break if you are over 65. I'm one the few looking to move back to New Jersey in a few years ( I hope)
Here's the link to the actual study if you want to look at it.

http://policy.rutgers.edu/news/repor...tober_2007.pdf

I looked through it, and didn't see anything with an age distribution of the people leaving. One thing I did see was that the average income of those leaving NJ was higher than the average income of those coming in, which in and of itself should be a cause for concern. All of the high $$ folks who support the "less fortunate" with their taxes are being replaced by lower wage earners. While the actual delta in income averages looks pretty low on paper, it's probably skewed by the fact that a large portion of the outflow is retirees who have low incomes, which lowers the average. I doubt there's many retirees moving into Jersey to skew the numbers on the inflow side.

Bob

Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 PM

5,706 posts, read 12,818,347 times
"One thing I did see was that the average income of those leaving NJ was higher than the average income of those coming in, which in and of itself should be a cause for concern."

It is my understanding that corporations are having a difficult time attracting "talent" to NJ, due to high property costs and congestion.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:02 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,847,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
"One thing I did see was that the average income of those leaving NJ was higher than the average income of those coming in, which in and of itself should be a cause for concern."

It is my understanding that corporations are having a difficult time attracting "talent" to NJ, due to high property costs and congestion.

more people with higher incomes leaving in higher numbers is just a reflection of the fact that people with higher incomes can move on, people with lower incomes are trapped by their circumstances, it ain't fair but what is?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:03 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,098,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post

I've heard the same. One other thing that the study showed was that the largest component of the in-migration was coming from New York- most likely folks who are moving to places like Jersey City and working in Manhattan, because they can't afford to live in New York. So, now you've got a slew of people coming in who aren't part of the NJ workforce, and are likely spending alot of their disposable income in NY instead of NJ (I know alot of people who basically just "sleep" in NJ). Not exactly people who are contributing greatly to the "talent pool" in NJ, or it's tax revenues.

Bob

Old 10-10-2007, 02:07 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,847,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I've heard the same. One other thing that the study showed was that the largest component of the in-migration was coming from New York- most likely folks who are moving to places like Jersey City and working in Manhattan, because they can't afford to live in New York. So, now you've got a slew of people coming in who aren't part of the NJ workforce, and are likely spending alot of their disposable income in NY instead of NJ (I know alot of people who basically just "sleep" in NJ). Not exactly people who are contributing greatly to the "talent pool" in NJ, or it's tax revenues.

Bob
is that so? How did you get to that conclusion/.
even if NJ is not getting proceeds from income taxes from these people who are moving to NJ yet are working in NY aren't they paying all the other myriads of taxes NJ offers like property, sales, fuel, property transfer, utility and on and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or