U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,090,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN Native View Post
It seems like everyone in NJ is coming down here to North Carolina...
Yep, we are! I think a lot of Jerseans are moving to the LKN area. I drove around the lake area the other day and couldn't believe how many NJ license plates I saw! Maybe I'm just aware of it because I'm from NJ, but WOW! I can see how the natives are feeling a bit "annoyed".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:03 PM

299 posts, read 1,195,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
For those who remember 1990. Florio tried that back then and that's when 101.5 became what it is today.

Try it again and watch a new revolution.
That darn toilet paper tax - Florio was flush with good ideas

Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 PM

200 posts, read 899,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I didn't realize you were so close- we just moved to Holly Springs this summer.

Don't you miss the wonderful debates about property taxes, crooked politicians, and decaying cities??? lol

Bob
I do!

I still go back every few months, I usually eat too much. NJ you got good food!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 PM

25,503 posts, read 24,235,975 times
Quote:
I've heard the same. One other thing that the study showed was that the largest component of the in-migration was coming from New York- most likely folks who are moving to places like Jersey City and working in Manhattan, because they can't afford to live in New York. So, now you've got a slew of people coming in who aren't part of the NJ workforce, and are likely spending alot of their disposable income in NY instead of NJ (I know alot of people who basically just "sleep" in NJ). Not exactly people who are contributing greatly to the "talent pool" in NJ, or it's tax revenues.

Bob
Oh, yep, this is very likely, Bob, but how is that anything new? I remember my mother telling me about how her family moved from Brooklyn to Bergen County in order for my grandparents to raise a family. It had been fine until the oldest child was ready to enter school; then they worried and decided to move to the suburbs. She often spoke about how filled up Bergen County then became with ex-city dwellers, how at one time half of Washington Township was fields and trees and you could sled down Ridgewood Road safely...etc. She called it "the generation of commuting families" even way back then...dads driving into the city to work, and into NJ to go home. The time period she was remembering began in 1945.

Haven't people always moved from the city to the burbs to raise kids or to lower living costs or what-have-you?

I hear that a lot on the SoCal boards too...how people loved the vibe of L.A., for example, when they were in college and when they were young marrieds but then when the kids came along, or when they were tired of being crowded, or whatever, they moved outward from the city to the immediately surrounding burbs. Put all together, it would sound like a mass exodus, but since this has been going on since pretty much the dawn of time, it's unlikely that this is any more of a "mass exodus" from Manhattan to NJ or, for that matter, out of NJ to another area entirely than at any other time period. All these major cities and their burbs would be emptied out, or would already have been entirely composed of dirt-poor people living three families to an apartment LONG before this...IMO.

I mean I agree that it's a general trend but I also think the part of the article wondering whether people are just generally more mobile today would seem to have just as much merit. Definitely people seem to move around much much more today than in the past, at least as far as I see things. Unfortunately for those who wish to stay there, I doubt a huge chunk of NJ is about to move out without anyone else moving in...I WISH...I'd be ONE person moving her family in to all this new space and lowered real estate prices...LOL. So if it is true after all, somebody DM me!!!!!!!!!! I'll have my check and moving van ready.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
That darn toilet paper tax - Florio was flush with good ideas
Personally, I feel they should start taxing pizza or bakery goods. If that were the case the state would not only be out of debt by now, it would be at a surplus and would be handing out money to other states.

If they'd done this while I was living there I guarantee the state's money problems would be solved. And I'd have, well, huge thighs. But hey. Anything for the cause!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 PM

299 posts, read 1,195,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Personally, I feel they should start taxing pizza or bakery goods. If that were the case the state would not only be out of debt by now, it would be at a surplus and would be handing out money to other states.

If they'd done this while I was living there I guarantee the state's money problems would be solved. And I'd have, well, huge thighs. But hey. Anything for the cause!
You got my vote I think this kind of tax already has a name - it's called the sin tax or better known as the twinkie tax.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You got my vote I think this kind of tax already has a name - it's called the sin tax or better known as the twinkie tax.
I never heard of that...but it makes perfect sense!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Yep, we are! I think a lot of Jerseans are moving to the LKN area. I drove around the lake area the other day and couldn't believe how many NJ license plates I saw! Maybe I'm just aware of it because I'm from NJ, but WOW! I can see how the natives are feeling a bit "annoyed".
I wonder if anyone else has thought about this...? With such a mass influx of northeasterners to NC, don't you think that within five or ten years, people will start having some of the same complaints about NC as they now have about NJ? "It's so congested...so many people are coming in and changing everything...it's getting so built up..." etc.?

Just wondering. I've been thinking about this for a while.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 AM

5,260 posts, read 12,585,805 times
Interesting population shifts. One thing though is Newark's population has been growing every year for about the past 7 years with no sign of stopping.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 AM

12,948 posts, read 24,106,397 times
Quote:
OK, so they buy their clothes and shoes in NJ- there's still no tax revenue coming in from the sales, right? And sure, JC has 3% tax, but can you but a car in JC? Major appliances? Anything else of real consequence? I still say there's a big disparity in how much tax revenue comes in from these folks and what would come in if that salary was made in NJ.

Bob
I believe car tax is not included you pay the 7% but yeah appliances and the like absolutely
Big ticket items for me is worth going to the Home Depot in JC vs Home Depot in Succasunna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or