U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,544,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I believe car tax is not included you pay the 7% but yeah appliances and the like absolutely
Big ticket items for me is worth going to the Home Depot in JC vs Home Depot in Succasunna
+1

My new appliances (which I don't actually have to go there to buy, I researched elsewhere, and will have them delivered) are going to have a 3.5% tax rate. Considering how expensive front load washers/dryers are, I'm happy about that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:30 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,769,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I wonder if anyone else has thought about this...? With such a mass influx of northeasterners to NC, don't you think that within five or ten years, people will start having some of the same complaints about NC as they now have about NJ? "It's so congested...so many people are coming in and changing everything...it's getting so built up..." etc.?

Just wondering. I've been thinking about this for a while.
I previously had opportunities to move to the southern states, but I theorized the same exact thing. That's why I moved to where I did. I think I've seen about 8 NJ license plates here in 2+ years.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,083,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I wonder if anyone else has thought about this...? With such a mass influx of northeasterners to NC, don't you think that within five or ten years, people will start having some of the same complaints about NC as they now have about NJ? "It's so congested...so many people are coming in and changing everything...it's getting so built up..." etc.?

Just wondering. I've been thinking about this for a while.
I hear someone complain about it almost every day. "You Yanks are causing all the traffic problems. If all y'all Northerners weren't moving down here with your bad attitudes, wanting to change things, etc., we'd be better off, and so on." I heard the same things said by native Jerseyans about people moving in from NYC and Staten Island. It's difficult to embrace change sometimes, but it's inevitable.
I laugh at what they call "conjestion" down here. They've obviously never driven on the LIE or Cross Bronx Expwy.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:48 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,935,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
+1

My new appliances (which I don't actually have to go there to buy, I researched elsewhere, and will have them delivered) are going to have a 3.5% tax rate. Considering how expensive front load washers/dryers are, I'm happy about that

I purchased a dishwasher about 2 yrs ago and didn't have to pay any sales tax, and for the life of me I can't remember why - something to do with the dishwasher being a permanent structure or something. I filled out a form, and they waived the tax. <shrug>

Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,935,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I hear someone complain about it almost every day. "You Yanks are causing all the traffic problems. If all y'all Northerners weren't moving down here with your bad attitudes, wanting to change things, etc., we'd be better off, and so on." I heard the same things said by native Jerseyans about people moving in from NYC and Staten Island. It's difficult to embrace change sometimes, but it's inevitable.
I laugh at what they call "conjestion" down here. They've obviously never driven on the LIE or Cross Bronx Expwy.
I'm also sure the same things were said when most of our ancestors came over on the boat - and that influx was on a FAR greater scale than the NJ -> NC exodus! And, on the flip side, those countries with huge amounts of emmigrants (Italy, Ireland, etc) are doing just fine - as will Jersey.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 AM

2,689 posts, read 2,846,212 times
Quote:
and how wrong are those southerners? the influx of the NYC/SI crowd hasn't exactly been good for NJ

Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,094,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I purchased a dishwasher about 2 yrs ago and didn't have to pay any sales tax, and for the life of me I can't remember why - something to do with the dishwasher being a permanent structure or something. I filled out a form, and they waived the tax. <shrug>
Hmmm...that's interesting. I've actually seen the opposite happen- on a student housing project we were building in Newark, the materials going into the building were tax-exempt as part of an urban enterprise zone tax initiative. The "white goods" (refers, DW's, stoves, etc), however, were taxed. No one could ever provide a valid explanation for it, but that's the way it was.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I've gotta tell ya, maybe Atlanta has gotten over it since the migration here started far before places like NC, but I haven't heard one comment like that since I've been here. I live in a semi-rural area, and my neighbors are a mix of GA natives and transplants from places like NJ, CA, and MI, and I've yet to hear anyone complain at home, work or anywhere else.

Now, go to the GA forums, and everyone and their mother is complaining about the traffic (sound familiar? lol), and it's obviously blamed on the people who are moving there, but whatcha gonna do, uh?

And I agree about people down here not understanding what real "traffic" is- I'm not saying that the Atlanta metro doesn't have a traffic problem, but I'll take what I sit in here over what I sat in in NJ anyday.....

Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,544,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Hmmm...that's interesting. I've actually seen the opposite happen- on a student housing project we were building in Newark, the materials going into the building were tax-exempt as part of an urban enterprise zone tax initiative. The "white goods" (refers, DW's, stoves, etc), however, were taxed. No one could ever provide a valid explanation for it, but that's the way it was.
That is weird - on projects I've done involving exemptions (urban enterprise zone and others), audiovisual equipment (and then some) came in tax-free. However, because of predetermined labor rates as part of the bid, contractors added on more to the equipment so they could make money. On one occasion though, there were specific items taxed.

I doubt I'll ever understand those rules

Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post

I doubt I'll ever understand those rules
You're not supposed to understand them. If you did, the Division of Taxation couldn't keep an extra 20 people employed with their fat pensions and benefits plans, trying to dream up new and stupid ways to confuse you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or