U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 AM

197 posts, read 722,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You're not supposed to understand them. If you did, the Division of Taxation couldn't keep an extra 20 people employed with their fat pensions and benefits plans, trying to dream up new and stupid ways to confuse you....
This state keeps spending and spending and spending and to make up for it, they keep taxing and taxing and taxing. One of the most liberal states in the nation and the govt. is way too big for a state this small. Imagine all those guaranteed pensions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 AM

142 posts, read 487,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post
This state keeps spending and spending and spending and to make up for it, they keep taxing and taxing and taxing. One of the most liberal states in the nation and the govt. is way too big for a state this small. Imagine all those guaranteed pensions??
I left Clifton, NJ because of taxes and illegals. The police blotter told the truth every day so I figured it was time to bail out. In fact, almost our whole family left for PA at the same time. Some Clifton city workers were making triple what WalMart workers were making to push a broom and my taxes obviously reflected those figures. In 1982 Clifton (by census) was considered an upper middle class town. By 2006, Clifton has now become lower middle class but the city payscale has remained upper middle class. The residents complain the city is overcrowded...but you need to pack 6 in every house to pay the city taxes.

Two years ago most of our family all walked into a local Coldwell Bankers Realtor office in Honesdale, PA and handed a realtor the specs on the houses we wanted. To say he was amazed was an understatement. We kept him busy for 3 months! We all feel it was the best move we ever made!

I calulate the City tax savings alone ($6,000 per year) multiplied by 30 years compounded using Bank cds will approach $250,000. (A little walking around money) My car, house and health insurance is also less. The State income tax is 1.1% higher than Jersey but is easily offset by lower car, home and individual health insurance plans. Pensions are not taxed in PA. Be warned there are no high paying jobs unless you own your own successful business.

I do miss the NJ restaurants and bakeries though. I also will admit that I was PO'ed to the limit when NJ forced me out of the city I was born and raised in. but.....life is now good in PA and I wake every morning with positive thoughts.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,864,555 times
Cool nj from Charlotte

just moved back to Jersey from Charlotte after living there for 19 years. It definitely is a beautiful place to live and cost of living is very low. 3200 sq ft all brich house i just sold for 292k and taxes only 2800. Bought a frame home in Northern Tinton Falls for 620k, only 2400 sq ft, 9600 taxes.

something wrong with this picture.

Amazing thin is i will have to move again in 9 years when i retire because i won't be able to afford the taxes, health care costs etc. when i hit 62.

my pension will only be around 50k a year and at least 3200 a month alone for taxes and healthcare.

Shame because Monmouth County is a beautiful place to live, near Red Bank, Beach, mountains, the Big Apple, Phila, something wrong with this picture.

Goes back to the 60's with the Hudson County 8 and Tom Whelan and other corrupt politicians.

What is Mr Corzine doing about this. Maybe his little lovey dovey emails to his former girlfriend (nice looker) has some answers.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:53 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,130,590 times
You have to love this. Lets see 340,000 more for a house thats 800 sq. ft. less to pay 7,000 more a year in prop. taxes. Boy they must have given you a 100,000 raise.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:13 PM

9,618 posts, read 9,471,712 times
Today's NY Post said NJ is ranked 49th in corporate friendly states. Perhapse this could be a reason people are leaving. You cant keep raising taxes or else corporations will not come here, and no corporation means no jobs.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:05 AM

13,463 posts, read 14,451,501 times
We have a saying at work. The only people left in NJ will be prisoners, state workers and welfare recipients.

If for some reason housing prices ever implode, we'll all be prisoners here.

High housing values are about the only thing we've got in our favor. In addition to good pizza, of course.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:59 AM

432 posts, read 1,690,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
The big joke is everyone I know who smokes haven't bought cigarettes in NJ in years. Other friends have quit, so when all the people stop smoking, whose going to pay their bills? They'll probably put a luxury tax on toilet paper.

Didn't Florio already try this?

Old 10-12-2007, 01:45 PM

5,706 posts, read 12,821,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
Didn't Florio already try this?
Yes Florio put a luxury tax on toilet paper but had to resend it due to the outcry. Since Corzilla and his crew could care less about the people, I'm sure he'll try something similar.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,056,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>While the economists said they are certain the exodus is growing, they are less sure of why. Possible reasons include high housing costs and the state's generally high cost of living.<

LOL. wow it takes a think tank full of 250k a year economists to figure that one out!?!?

On the radio they mentioned a 3 billion dollar deficit even though the NJ economy is relatively healthy on top of high tax rates. I would love to see how much of the spending "disappears" into various back pockets.

I went to Cincinnati on business last week. There was a home for sale with a big "buy me for 109K" sign attached to the regular realtor sign. NOTHING special about this house. This was a 400K home in say Denville in Morris Co. It made me wanna cry cause it looks like Im a permanent renter yet I make well over the median income in the US.

That being said. I have a real job with health insurance.

employed uber alles

That was me, too. I wasn't making money hand over fist, but it was the kind of job (with health insurance) that had always allowed people at least a shot at buying a home in years past- not anymore. I feel like that as long as I was single, I'd never own my own home in NJ.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,056,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I previously had opportunities to move to the southern states, but I theorized the same exact thing. That's why I moved to where I did. I think I've seen about 8 NJ license plates here in 2+ years.
I thought about moving to New Mexico and decided on AZ because of better job opportunities. How do you like it there- it struck me as absolutely gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or