U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,989 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I currently live in Queens Village ny which is almost in long Island. It takes about one hour and 30 min to get to the city via public transportation. I can drive into the city in just a little over 30 min WITHOUT traffic but then I have to pay tolls and find parking. I am currently looking for employment in the city and need to live much closer sooo.....
I was wondering if I could get your opinion on where to move, out of northern Brooklyn, sunnyside queens, woodside queens, astoria queens, or jersey city, union city, weehawken, journal square.......... which do you guys think is the safest and most affordable??

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 PM

7 posts, read 62,069 times
i can't speak to areas in jersey (especially since i am looking for jersey info myself) but i can speak to the brooklyn and queens areas. personally i prefer brooklyn and astoria for safety, cultural diversity, and social activities, however they will be more expensive. (williamsburg is ridiculously unaffordable). you might be better off in sunnyside or woodside in terms of affordability, but not as culturally diverse. hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM

8 posts, read 60,235 times
Where is the city you actually work will determine which neighborhood in Jersey to look at. Weehawken and Union City would be better for midtown and Jersey City is great for downtown. Also if you work on the west side of Manhattan, NJ is good, east side..then Queens or Brooklyn. I currently work on the east side (48th @ 3rd) and live in the Journal Square area of Jersey City. It takes me about 1 hour to get to my office, though if I worked downtown I could get there in under 30min (next job I'll be looking downtown needless to say). But I can't complain about my commute. I get a seat on the PATH train every morning and live in a safe up and coming neighborhood with great neighbors. Downtown JC has more activities, but will be more expensive and Hoboken...forget about it! My husband and I also considered Jackson Heights before buying a condo in JC to give you some perspective.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:14 PM

562 posts, read 2,373,804 times
affordable.. look at Elizabeth..

Old 10-29-2007, 04:25 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,847,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
affordable.. look at Elizabeth..
if you want a crime ridden town, a town with bad schools, a town filled with illegals, a town where english is not the main language, consider elizabeth, if you want better that can be found in many other places

Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
if you want a crime ridden town, a town with bad schools, a town filled with illegals, a town where english is not the main language, consider elizabeth, if you want better that can be found in many other places

if you want ignorance.. ask APVguy where he lives..

Old 10-30-2007, 09:24 AM

2,689 posts, read 2,847,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
if you want ignorance.. ask APVguy where he lives..
just the truth,too bad you're so enamored with being an urban pioneer that you just keep your blinders on, maybe you haven't noticed the trend of the last 50 years or so, people do not want to live in densely populated urban areas, and a guy moving from queens almost certainly doesn't want to downgrade his lifestyle by moving to the urban jungle that is elizabeth.
maybe if you're young, single and can't afford anything else elizabeth is a viable option but to most people the lifestyle in places like elizabeth is not something they wish to attain.
enjoy elizabeth, but don't ignore the reality of the place

Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM

I'm not enamored with being an urban pioneer, i don't recall saying this.. I'm just an open minded individual who sees potential in Elizabeth.. like you said stick to reality.. affordable, within 14 miles to NYC, easy commute to NYC, city like, very diverse, great for travelers and young professionals.. etc.. that's funny how you think that moving from Queens to Elizabeth is a downgrade.. have you been to Queens?? have you been to any CITY lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
just the truth,too bad you're so enamored with being an urban pioneer that you just keep your blinders on, maybe you haven't noticed the trend of the last 50 years or so, people do not want to live in densely populated urban areas, and a guy moving from queens almost certainly doesn't want to downgrade his lifestyle by moving to the urban jungle that is elizabeth.
maybe if you're young, single and can't afford anything else elizabeth is a viable option but to most people the lifestyle in places like elizabeth is not something they wish to attain.
enjoy elizabeth, but don't ignore the reality of the place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or