Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
that's terrible. The power company shouldn't be leaving emergency stations without power for that amount of time...that only makes my criticism more valid.
And just what would you like them to do? There is MAJOR damage to the main lines and substations, it can't be fixed overnight.

They are running on generator power and the county will keep them in fuel. They have heat, hot water, intermittent Internet, their radios are working (no phones, but those aren't required as all dispatch comes over the radio). They are able to charge their radios, cell phones, and laptops as well as have shore power for the rigs. The soda machine works. (Hey, to some people that would be a disaster of epic proportions. )

At least the power company has been calling to give them updates instead of leaving them in the dark. (pun intended)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM

3,513 posts, read 7,762,799 times
I had no power to 56 hours, Power failed Monday Night at 4pm and didn't get it back until 7:40pm Wednesday. I did have a small generator, was able to run the refrigerator, few lights, TV and a 2000 watt space heat. Used the heater to heat the babies room at night and moved to to the living room during the day. I put up plastic over the doors to limit the amount of space the heater had to heat. Cold showers, had to boil water to give the baby a bath Wednesday night. I still do not have cable/internet.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:40 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,342,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
that's terrible. The power company shouldn't be leaving emergency stations without power for that amount of time...that only makes my criticism more valid.
Most people have no idea how the power grid works. It is very complex with network protectors that will not allow power to turned back on just because one neighborhood is dark. All lines have to be cleared before restoration can be completed.

The power co. is way to busy to call or try to explain to every disgruntled customer whey they have no power.

Perhaps after this is all over and done more people will by that cheap insurance called a generator.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 AM

3,513 posts, read 7,762,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We are out here with Friday being touted as the date to expect to get power back, but I have no idea how reliable that info is.
They always way over estimate the time it takes. My mother in law was told power would be restored by Sunday, Nov. 4th and it was on by Wednesday, 8pm. During the June Storm, she was told it would take several days to restore power and it was working the next day. They give you a worse case, so you'll be happy when it's working earlier. If they told you it would be working by 8pm the next day and they miss the deadline, you can bet sure as hell people be calling them to complain the power wasn't working when promised.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Most people have no idea how the power grid works. It is very complex with network protectors that will not allow power to turned back on just because one neighborhood is dark. All lines have to be cleared before restoration can be completed.

The power co. is way to busy to call or try to explain to every disgruntled customer whey they have no power.

Perhaps after this is all over and done more people will by that cheap insurance called a generator.
We bought one before we moved into our house in Florida. We've never used it, but we've lent it to friends a couple of times. We've owned it for eight years now, total cost of ownership, $.17/day--and dropping each day.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 AM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
They always way over estimate the time it takes. My mother in law was told power would be restored by Sunday, Nov. 4th and it was on by Wednesday, 8pm. During the June Storm, she was told it would take several days to restore power and it was working the next day. They give you a worse case, so you'll be happy when it's working earlier. If they told you it would be working by 8pm the next day and they miss the deadline, you can bet sure as hell people be calling them to complain the power wasn't working when promised.
Well, they were telling everyone 7 to 10 days. The "Friday" time I got was the result of a conversation between someone from our town council and someone from the utility company, which is why I said I don't know how reliable the info is. Obviously EVERYONE isn't going to take 7 to 10. They give worst-case scenarios so people won't be overly expectant and then get angry, as you pointed out.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 AM

FirstEnergy Storm Center

JCP&L map of where the outages are and how many are still without power in affected areas.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM

26 posts, read 27,758 times
Most of Bergen County still have no power....

No power in Hackensack, Mahwah, Ridgewood, etc.
Same with Rockland County

Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Power is back on in parts of Oradell.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yea, it's frustrating to me too.

I live in the boonies, relatively speaking (Western Morris).

And the damage around me wasn't really that bad. They could probably have had it up and running by yesterday, but they have chosen to focus their manpower in other areas.

The towns you listed I would consider urban suburbs. I would think they are high on the priority list, you guys just sustained a lot of damage.
I'm in western Morris and got power yesterday. Don't know why, but eternally thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey