U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 12:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,464,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingTheSunshine View Post
I was looking online at some of the places you metioned and each website lists them as belonging to different counties or different parts of Jersey (i.e South, North, Central) .. is there a place where I can find the most correct lisitng so I know how far away I'm looking?

Also, how does the commute work there? Reading other posts it seems like you can be anywhere in the state within 2 hours no matter where you're coming from. Maybe I'm just sillym but in FL an hour will barely get you out of the county.
Actually all the places Ellwood mentioned are in eastern Morris County.

NJ is a lot different than FL. You could drive the entire legnth of the state in 3 hours and the entire width in 1 hour.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 36,162 times
Thanks all. I'm relocating from Utah. I spent most of yesterday looking at different cities and evaluating commute times, property taxes, and reading the board.

The commute time from CT appears to be about an hour and half (from stramford), the commute time from NY areas I was interested in area bout an hour, and the commute time from Verona was about half an hour (I've actually made this commute before). All of these commute times are based on riding the train in + PATH to Jersey City + 15 or so minutes of driving + parking before riding the train. Yes - I was thinking of Floral Park out past Queens.

Thanks everyone for your feed back.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:58 AM

9,164 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amus View Post
I just landed a job in Jersey City and am moving to NJ soon. My wife and I have been researching on where the best place to live might be. I've been out to NJ several times, but she hasn't.

So, we are looking at places to live and so far we seem to like the Caldwell's, Verona, and Cedar Grove the best. Any other places we should consider?

Also, the negativity on this forum about NJ is suprising. Would it be better to move to Conneticut instead and commute from there? I generally ride public transportation and so the commute isn't too bad from there (just over 1 hour by train). What about NY? Floral Bark seemed like it might be nice, but the commute starts to get over an hour any farther west.

Where would you live given that I would like about 1 hour commute to Jersey City?

Any ideas? Is New Jersey really that bad?
Everyone can give you ideas on where to live but if you don't give a price you are looking to spend for a house, it could be for nothing. Some areas are a lot higher then others, while other less expensive areas have crummy schools. You'll want to keep the NJ school report web site to look them up. Seems like links are disabled in this thread so I will leave it at the bottom of the post

Where will you work in JC & what time will you need to be in? My hubby works in the port, commutes from Browns Mills. My Ex used to work in Perth Amboy, also commuted from BM. I'm originally from Roselle (1967 - 1990) / Watchung (family business). I've also lived in North Plainfield & Edison.

I love it out Rt 78 towards Pittstown but hubby would never commute rt 78. Commuting via the Parkway can also be hard. You have to keep in mind there will be shore traffic in the warmer months. Rt 22 in Union gets very congested. I still keep my dentist in Union, would then travel via rt 22 to see my dad in Watchung and would sit in traffic on 22 Union no matter what time of day.

I moved down to Browns Mills in 1993 with my Ex. I knew no one but soon loved it. I do not miss the traffic of North / Central Jersey. Taxes in BM are still affordable, we're paying about $3,000. We don't have a water bill as we have a well with city sewer. We're about an hour from Newark & Philly airports; favoring Philly. It's also not a bad ride to Atlantic City. There are a lot of back roads, I can travel back roads to exit 8 / 8A (turnpike) no problems.

NJ school report -
NEW JERSEY SCHOOL REPORT CARD 2005-2006

Old 10-21-2007, 02:46 PM

56 posts, read 262,229 times
The towns you mentioned are all good. Also look into Verona, Glen Ridge, Montclair, Brookdale/Oakview in Bloomfield and Pleasantdale in West Orange. Depending on location, several towns have midtown direct trains to NYC and most all have some bus service to Port Authority NYC. In general families like these Essex County towns for commutability as well as things to do; family events, soccer, sports programs, theatre, museums, art, etc. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:47 AM

7,734 posts, read 7,251,776 times
In the Northeast you often trade various versions of property tax, income tax, housing cost, insurance, and other costs that end up totalling about the same amount.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM

156 posts, read 653,368 times
Amus,
I hope you're going to be making a nice salary in Jersey CIty,because we DO have high property taxes,and long commutes. Our prop.taxes (in monmouth cty) are over 7000/yr.
I do love NJ, but the cost of living is enormous.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:28 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,544,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingTheSunshine View Post
is there a place where I can find the most correct lisitng so I know how far away I'm looking?
I used google maps for this.

For me, I wanted to be on the train line, since I work in NYC and won't go any other way. I also like alot of the area west of the city more so than north or south, so I chose to stick to my current train line. Using google maps, I drew out the train line (which is shows, I put it in a diff color so it was easier to see. I also thought of where my gf needed to go, and acceptable drive times. I then made a circle the approximate size of what a 25-30 minute commute for her was, and saw what train stations were near that. That established the towns I was interested in

As I searched online, I added anything with an address, and put anything without somewhere near the town center. With a google account, you can save all this info. When driving through the towns, my digital camera and my gps became my tools - I took pictures, and noted the picture number as the name of the waypoint in my gps. Then when I got home, I plopped the info into google maps, and knew where all the houses were at. In the notes for the house symbols, I put in the picture numbers, the phone number, and once I had it, the asking price. If it was listed on the mls, I put that in there too.

Yeah it sounds like alot, but it was REALLY helpful, I felt well organized, and was able to visit many homes in a single day. I knew what they looked like, where they were at, and how much they cost.

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or