U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:57 PM

7 posts, read 62,093 times

Advertisements

Possibly considering moving to New Jersey instead of Florida. Is this a smart move? Also, I would prefer to live in a safe neighborhood that is relatively close to NYC where hubby and I work. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,116,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida here i come! View Post
Possibly considering moving to New Jersey instead of Florida. Is this a smart move? Also, I would prefer to live in a safe neighborhood that is relatively close to NYC where hubby and I work. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Well, if you're going to continue to work in NYC, I'd say it's a smart move- the commute from Florida would be terrible....lol.

It all depends on what you want. Florida's weather is obviously much different than NJ's. Housing prices in FL are lower than NJ (and so are salaries), but they're offset by insane homeowner's insurance costs.

What was it about Florida that drove you to look there, and why are you now considering NJ instead?

Bob

Old 10-12-2007, 08:58 PM

299 posts, read 1,194,940 times
Quote:
Where in Florida are you considering? I'm in central Florida and planning to move back to Jersey in a few years.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:47 PM

964 posts, read 2,563,776 times
Not sure of your price-range, etc., however, if proximity to NYC is key and you want to be really close -- check out the closest. IMO, I've always liked Edgewater and Fort Lee. It's certainly not for everyone. Englewood is a great town, very pricey.

As you move further south, west, etc. -- there are plenty of very nice areas. How close to NYC is close? What else are you looking for?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,750,614 times
Do you have a budget?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:02 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,086,276 times
If you don't have children, I'd suggest Hoboken.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:58 AM

467 posts, read 1,324,801 times
If you are young don't come to Florida, at least not right now...Yeah, it's a buyer's market but until they figure out the tax base here and insurance, you are better off
staying up north especially if you both work..Jobs down here are a joke, Teachers get
paid next to nothing. Schools are just awful. Better off if you have children or intend to
have any educating them up north. College level is fine in Florida. N.J. towns I love are
Bridgewater, Bedminster, Summit, New Providence, Gillette....Trains run into Penn Station
or Hoboken and transfer to Path trains if you work downtown....Good luck

Old 10-14-2007, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 19,087 times
Hey man ...........If you have good budget ........goto Hoboken otherwise Jersey City is good option. Both places are closer to NYC and also public x'port is easily available.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:20 AM

119 posts, read 166,591 times
Quote:
Many people I know moved to Florida moved back after a few Hurracane hits. The Greater Edison Area is 3rd safest area in NJ, according to Craigslist (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=edison&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link). postings. That is to say towns like Iselin, Metuchen, South Plainfield, Piscataway, ... etc are all very good choices.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 62,093 times
the reason for florida was because of family. it would have been central florida. and then something life-changing happened (too long a story to tell here) so we decided to stay but couldn't afford houses in ny, so we considered jersey. thank you all for all the info on jersey and florida. it was very helpful. we have decided to stay in ny, and we have managed to find a house we love and will be able to afford. so everything worked out. thank you all for the support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or