U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,224,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And illegal in NJ.
Ahhh the geniuses in the legislature protecting us from ourselves again I see.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 AM

5,420 posts, read 13,412,497 times
Power from the panels fluctuates, and batteries or the grid regulate the power. Without batteries or the grid, you can break stuff.

just an example what happens if a cloud comes and goes--your power is there, then it goes away and comes back.... Or is delivering only 1000 watts, and your requirement is 1500.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:09 PM

8,682 posts, read 11,958,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And illegal in NJ.
It's not illegal to hook a whole house generator to your panel. You just need to go through a transfer switch. It's illegal pretty much everywhere to hook one up directly, for two reasons -- backfeeding power to lines the power company thinks are dead, endangering line workers. And because guess what happens if the power comes back on when the generator is on... it'll be out of phase, and the grid wins every time, often spectacularly. You can prevent both by throwing the main and/or pulling your service disconnect block but that isn't considered reliable enough.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:27 PM

13,645 posts, read 11,168,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Ahhh the geniuses in the legislature protecting us from ourselves again I see.....
No they are protecting the public from idiots who would not remember to throw the switch. If you are on the grid, you do not have the right to potentially kill those who work on it.

If you desperately want to use solar when there is a power outage than don't use a grid ties system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's not illegal to hook a whole house generator to your panel. You just need to go through a transfer switch. It's illegal pretty much everywhere to hook one up directly, for two reasons -- backfeeding power to lines the power company thinks are dead, endangering line workers. And because guess what happens if the power comes back on when the generator is on... it'll be out of phase, and the grid wins every time, often spectacularly. You can prevent both by throwing the main and/or pulling your service disconnect block but that isn't considered reliable enough.
I am not sure why you quoted me. I was referring specifically to the illegality of putting a switch into your solar array. Not a generator.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM

3,257 posts, read 11,489,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most HOA's and some towns don't allow them on the front of the house, so that won't work for everyone. If you live in a more rural area, put them where you want, although if you've got a lot of land it might make sense to put in a whole array on the property and sell some of the power back to the local utility.

We've looked into it and it's something I think we'll do in the next couple of years. My husband feels we'd generate enough power to sell some back to our electric company.
I had three companies come to my home to see if it was viable to put panels on my roof. My problem is neighbors high trees that would cause an issue. Neighbors obviously will not cut down trees. Any company that agrees to install panels in a position on your home that is not optimal for solar panel operation (and I'm sure the ones that install for free wouldn't do it) are selling you snake oil. It's really simple.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 PM

2,153 posts, read 4,394,813 times
We prepared really well. And had our brand new, heavily researched, propane generator not broken down the night of the storm we would have come out of this much better.

Now I have a car charger for the cell phone so that's taken care of. For the next storm I would just know that there won't be any help of any kind for at least 5 days. I'm also going to get battery operated LED lanterns.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 PM

26,582 posts, read 49,415,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
We prepared really well. And had our brand new, heavily researched, propane generator not broken down the night of the storm we would have come out of this much better.
Ugh, I'm sorry. That sucks.

Quote:
Now I have a car charger for the cell phone so that's taken care of. For the next storm I would just know that there won't be any help of any kind for at least 5 days. I'm also going to get battery operated LED lanterns.
The LED lanterns are super bright and the 6V battery lasts about a week as long as you don't leave it on all night.

12 hour glow sticks are something else you might want to add to your list. They are good to use as a "nightlight." They don't give off a ton of light, but it's enough so you don't trip over the cat trying to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Don't forget the battery powered radio.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 PM

11,664 posts, read 13,511,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Don't forget the battery powered radio.
And/or a hand-cranked radio.

I alternated between a battery-powered radio and one that has a hand-crank to generate power.
The hand-cranked radio also has a light that you can use, in addition to the AM/FM/Shortwave radio functions, and I found that just a couple of minutes of cranking provided enough power for at least 20 minutes of radio listening. Then, when the signal begins to fade, I just had to give it another couple of minutes of cranking in order to get another 20 minutes or so of power for the radio and the light.

This technology was originally developed for people in Third World countries, who are not on an electrical grid, but it is serves VERY well in the type of power outages that we experienced over the past week.

I bought the hand-cranked radio about 4 or 5 years or so, and this was the first time that I used it for more than a minute or so. It was very helpful, as was the information provided by WNYC-FM.

At least 40% of the info on WNYC was NJ-relevant, and this station was a virtual lifeline while I sat in the dark, without light, heat, or phone service for several days. The on-air personalities had a soothing tone, and they were able to give some comfort along with valuable information for anyone who tuned into their frequency. Then, in the wee hours of the morning, they switched over to the ultimately classy and peerless BBC World News. All-in-all, WNYC was a major help to me during this crisis period.

I am going to send WNYC a donation in the next few days because of the invaluable service that they provided to me and to others in the NY/NJ Metro area.
And, hand-cranked radios are on my Xmas list for gifting to other people. This is an extremely practical gift, especially as Climate Change wreaks its regular havoc on us.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM

46 posts, read 52,288 times
I had no power for 9 days but had both hot water and heat. The water heater uses, as stated above, pizzo-electric ignition for firing. How did I manage to heat my house? By using an old piece of technology known as a steam boiler driven by a pizzo-electric ignitor. Steam does not depend on power driven pumps or blowers; gravity and hot air rising is your friend!

An inverter for charging 110 Volt dependent rechargable batteries from the automobile came in handy also.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 PM

156 posts, read 198,082 times
I am a three month resident of NJ and experienced my first hurricane. Our power came back on tonight after nine days. These are someof the lessons that I learned

1. Fill cars up with gas. I filled mine, but dh did not. It was a problem several days after the storm.
2. Double check battery supply. We have lots of batteries, but I did not check what type of batteries each of the different flashlights used. We did not have extra D batteries. Stores ran out of D batteries several days before the storm hit.
3. Purchase a battery operated radio.
4. Have a supply of paper plates, paper bowls, plastic cups and plastic utensils. Clorex or Lisol wipes and Wet-Ones are necessary.
5. Make sure there is a way to get cars out of the detached garage.
6. A generator is probably well worth the expense if power is lost for more than 24 hours.
7. Keep up with laundry as the storm approaches.
8. Flashlights. One of my boys has a lantern style flashlight that he uses for Boy Scouts. It was used a lot during the power outage. We plan to get a couple more.
9. Reading lights that attach to books for each family member. Extra batteries too. I'm going to buy some for stocking stuffers this year.

We were lucky in that we could walk to numerous restaurants to get coffee and food. I'm not sure what we would have done if that had not been the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey