U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 PM

2,151 posts, read 4,389,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Ugh, I'm sorry. That sucks.

The LED lanterns are super bright and the 6V battery lasts about a week as long as you don't leave it on all night.

12 hour glow sticks are something else you might want to add to your list. They are good to use as a "nightlight." They don't give off a ton of light, but it's enough so you don't trip over the cat trying to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Don't forget the battery powered radio.
Great ideas. We have a 2 year old so the glow sticks would be perfect for him. We have two mini mag lights and my husband and I each had one on our night tables for bathroom trips. But when I handed it to my little one he dismantled it in the time it took me to light a lantern. lol Those battery operated pillar candles are great, too. Made a nice night light for the bathroom. I think I want a hand crank radio because I kept feeling like the batteries would die in the radio.

The propane generator really would have worked perfectly. There would have been no problem getting new tanks. Our Lowes was open for emergency supplies the morning after.

I saw a lantern on the news that took 3 AAAs and they said lasts a really long time too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 PM

5,420 posts, read 13,398,546 times
i've been thinking about this. Heat, water/hot water, Fridge, lighting, and cooking should be on either backup or solar off the grid power. Any other essentials i'm missing?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,583,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post
I am a three month resident of NJ and experienced my first hurricane. Our power came back on tonight after nine days. These are someof the lessons that I learned

1. Fill cars up with gas. I filled mine, but dh did not. It was a problem several days after the storm.
2. Double check battery supply. We have lots of batteries, but I did not check what type of batteries each of the different flashlights used. We did not have extra D batteries. Stores ran out of D batteries several days before the storm hit.
3. Purchase a battery operated radio.
4. Have a supply of paper plates, paper bowls, plastic cups and plastic utensils. Clorex or Lisol wipes and Wet-Ones are necessary.
5. Make sure there is a way to get cars out of the detached garage.
6. A generator is probably well worth the expense if power is lost for more than 24 hours.
7. Keep up with laundry as the storm approaches.
8. Flashlights. One of my boys has a lantern style flashlight that he uses for Boy Scouts. It was used a lot during the power outage. We plan to get a couple more.
9. Reading lights that attach to books for each family member. Extra batteries too. I'm going to buy some for stocking stuffers this year.
Really good list here. We were pretty well prepared however we missed a few things here on the list (lantern style light, reading lights). I really missed being able to read a bit before going to bed. Just got our power back yesterday and I'm so thankful.

Where we fell short was not having a generator for a protracted power outage. We did manage to buy one after our 4th day of shivering with no heat. This week, we are hiring an electrical company to add a panel for our generator and get things set up properly and safely. A few things that we had troubles finding once we did get our generator:

-spare oil for the generator
-funnels for oil and gas (seemed to have misplaced ours or lent them out)
-chains for locking up generator
-extension cords
-extra fuel cans

Overall, we just need to be a bit better organized having an emergency shelf in our basement with radios, lanterns, spare batteries, glow sticks, etc.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 AM

284 posts, read 482,559 times
flashlights - not sure whether it has been discussed, I bought a few head lights for my kids for their sleep away camps
head lights at REI - Free shipping on orders of $50 or more
DH likes it very much as it is very convenience.

Onbattery... . staples sometimes have the 100% reward on batteries if you are a reward member and I stocked up a lot... (I am cheap LOL)

Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 AM

13,324 posts, read 11,994,298 times
For anyone older like me who uses reading glasses, Foster Grant makes reading glasses with tiny LED lights on the sides called Light-Ups. They are $25 and Walgreen's and CVS carry them. I have multiple pairs and used them all the time even before the storm, but they are great for power outages too, very bright lights and IMO much more comfortable than the kind of lights that strap to your head.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 AM

43,283 posts, read 42,833,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
For anyone older like me who uses reading glasses, Foster Grant makes reading glasses with tiny LED lights on the sides called Light-Ups. They are $25 and Walgreen's and CVS carry them. I have multiple pairs and used them all the time even before the storm, but they are great for power outages too, very bright lights and IMO much more comfortable than the kind of lights that strap to your head.
That would be me. Thank you!!! I'm going to look for them.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 AM

2,151 posts, read 4,389,238 times
One thing that surprised me - you can siphon gas anymore? We had filled up both cars before the storm and we were going to get the gas out of our old car for the neighbor's generator but we couldn't do it. I'm glad to know for next time so we don't count on being able to "store it" there. It's a 1998, I'm surprised they were preventing it then. (we kept both cars locked behind our gate so no one could puncture the tank or anything. luckily we found all the pieces of our gate and were able to put it back together!)

Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM

8,670 posts, read 11,931,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
One thing that surprised me - you can siphon gas anymore? We had filled up both cars before the storm and we were going to get the gas out of our old car for the neighbor's generator but we couldn't do it.
A siphon is a pretty simple device, there's not really any way to stop it aside from preventing the siphon hose from getting into the tank (e.g. an s-bend in the filler pipe -- and that would make it hard to fill!). You need a siphon hose narrow enough that it doesn't block entry of air into the tank.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,461,942 times
This time we are pretty well prepared. Lesson learnt from last year already.

1. generator
We ordered generator after last October. A day before hurricane, husband went to full test power switching from main box to generator and ensured it's working properly. Fill generator with full tank and fill extra 10 gallons of gas in addition to full tank for our SUV.

2. Foods and water
We bought 1 week supply of fresh foods as usual with some additional can foods and 2 cases of bottle water.
Buy some instant coffee if you cannot live without coffee.
I boil a pot of hot water every morning and store in my big thermo. It will last for whole day in case you need coffee or a cup of hot tea.

3. Flash lights and batteries
Husband bought 2 LED flash lights, and 1 LED campng lantern last year. Also bought a box of rechargable batteries and fully charged all of them a day before.

4. extension cords

5. fully charged laptop and cell phones

6. Gas chain saw for clean up

We survived very well at home this time. Generator running fine. Both my husband and I were working from home the first week. We have heat, partial power (only power kitchen, 1 bathroom, outlets in 2 bedrooms and second frig in laundry room), VOIP phone, internet and TV. We can take showers and were able to cook as well. We also use extension cord to washer and dryer so we can do laundry when needed. My neighbor even use generator to set up bouncing house for neighborhood kids to play in the backyard one day.
The only thing we will do differently is buying additional 2 buckets for gas. We first thought 10 gallons should last us 3 days which should be good enough. However, it did not look like the case so that we ordered 2 more gas cans last week and they were delivered yesterday. Next time we will have 20 gallons sitting in garage for generator and should last about a week when we run 24 hours.

Last edited by bay; 11-08-2012 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,226,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Two choices, really.
1) Natural gas generator, or diesel or gasoline generator with at least two weeks of fuel. At least 20 gallons of gasoline for the SUV. Small gas powered chain saw.

2) Shut off the water and gas, maybe the electric. Empty the fridge. Take both cars and get out of town, expecting two weeks before return.

For those on barrier islands, planning for longer would be wise... but on the other hand, some barrier island towns got power back long before my town.
We did Option 2 above, and I'd do it again. It's really the smartest way to go, and has a 100% success rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey