U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,275,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post
I am a three month resident of NJ and experienced my first hurricane. Our power came back on tonight after nine days. These are someof the lessons that I learned

1. Fill cars up with gas. I filled mine, but dh did not. It was a problem several days after the storm.
2. Double check battery supply. We have lots of batteries, but I did not check what type of batteries each of the different flashlights used. We did not have extra D batteries. Stores ran out of D batteries several days before the storm hit.
3. Purchase a battery operated radio.
4. Have a supply of paper plates, paper bowls, plastic cups and plastic utensils. Clorex or Lisol wipes and Wet-Ones are necessary.
5. Make sure there is a way to get cars out of the detached garage.
6. A generator is probably well worth the expense if power is lost for more than 24 hours.
7. Keep up with laundry as the storm approaches.
8. Flashlights. One of my boys has a lantern style flashlight that he uses for Boy Scouts. It was used a lot during the power outage. We plan to get a couple more.
9. Reading lights that attach to books for each family member. Extra batteries too. I'm going to buy some for stocking stuffers this year.

We were lucky in that we could walk to numerous restaurants to get coffee and food. I'm not sure what we would have done if that had not been the case.
Good list. Remember that batteries expire and/or can run out, just like gas did. I'd opt for hand-cranked, solar, etc. options, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM

1,548 posts, read 2,275,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Do you know that candles are being officially named as the root cause of the Breezy Point fire? (And one of the house fires my husband responded to in NJ.) Don't use candles in an emergency, they are a critical fire hazard. Buy a battery powered lantern and an extra battery, it will last 10 days with prudent use and you'll safely have all the light you need.
Exactly. I don't use candles for that very reason, in addition to the fact that some cause reactions for some of us in the home. I have them as a super last resort, but have never had to use them since I have other forms of light to use instead.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 PM

587 posts, read 1,823,899 times
Anyone looking for generators? Looks like people are already dumping them, Craigslist is flooded with them some really bad deals but seen several that are good deals. Good time to pick one up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey