U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 PM

622 posts, read 2,850,114 times

Advertisements

Wow, you guys are hardcore.

12 minutes, but it's from Clifton NJ to Cedar grove. 5 or 6 miles. We really need a short commute because it's a high priority for us. Maybe working in Manhattan would yield us more money, but TIME is important to us. I often wonder why we live here if we don't take full advantage of NY City.

When we do move, we'll look for a very short commute again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 PM

562 posts, read 2,374,064 times
my commute from Elizabeth to 30 Rock, NYC is about 30 mins taking the 112 at North Ave and VanBuren.. to Port Authority.. when I drive to my ENglewood Cliffs office that's about 30 mins also.. door 2 door.. ;-)

Old 10-19-2007, 07:16 AM

6,469 posts, read 9,810,303 times
Central Warren County to Morristown. About 1 hr and 10 minutes leaving at 6:10. About 50 minutes going home leaving at 3:30.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 AM

6,268 posts, read 15,508,321 times
Jersey City to East 33rd Street, Manhattan... 40-45 minutes

10 minute walk to JSQ PATH, 20 minute train ride, 8 minute walk to the office. Allow extra 2-7 minutes for waiting on the platform.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,662 times
I am looking to take a job in Murray Hill... I am living in Brick. Any suggestions from anyone would be APPRECIATED... new to area so I am not familiar with the commute. I really don't want to move if I don't have to... If the commute would be as long as the train ride, I guess I could do the train but haven't figured out how the public transit stuff works since I am from an area that never had public transportation. Thanks for any guidance... haven't accepted the job yet, am still trying to figure out if it's doable without having to move.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:57 PM

15 posts, read 38,820 times
People mystified by "long" commutes of an hour and change have to realize that working in NY, unless you're a multi-millionaire, means thats going to be your commute.

I live in BROOKLYN and it takes me an hour door to door by SUBWAY to get to Midtown. My friend takes an hour 20 from farther in Brooklyn.

Not sure I understand what people suggest one does? There are millions working in NY. Not everyone can manage to live somewhere in the burbs and commute within their town. There arent 1/1000 of enough jobs for that.

So for most of us, rather than give up a solid six figure job, its do a 1.5hr commute once you have kids and decide it might be nice for them to have a lawn. Its always funny to me to hear people say "Id move!" or "Id change jobs!". I wish I could afford to have that kind of cavalier outlook, but I havent ever found that just winging it and finding a different job or place to live in order to maximize my personal time is all that easy. Maybe if you take a massive paycut, but NJ and LI (or even PA) arent exactly affordable either.

Its just a reality of what happens around a massive intl city like NY.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,864,555 times
you are right, i am back on the train. Can't wait to retire in 7 years and back to Charlotte nc

Old 05-11-2008, 06:46 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,848,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
People mystified by "long" commutes of an hour and change have to realize that working in NY, unless you're a multi-millionaire, means thats going to be your commute.

I live in BROOKLYN and it takes me an hour door to door by SUBWAY to get to Midtown. My friend takes an hour 20 from farther in Brooklyn.

Not sure I understand what people suggest one does? There are millions working in NY. Not everyone can manage to live somewhere in the burbs and commute within their town. There arent 1/1000 of enough jobs for that.

So for most of us, rather than give up a solid six figure job, its do a 1.5hr commute once you have kids and decide it might be nice for them to have a lawn. Its always funny to me to hear people say "Id move!" or "Id change jobs!". I wish I could afford to have that kind of cavalier outlook, but I havent ever found that just winging it and finding a different job or place to live in order to maximize my personal time is all that easy. Maybe if you take a massive paycut, but NJ and LI (or even PA) arent exactly affordable either.

Its just a reality of what happens around a massive intl city like NY.
my commute was less than 1 hour door to door, a bit over an hour when driving

Old 05-11-2008, 08:29 PM

65 posts, read 247,671 times
Default Way too long!!

45 - 50 minutes on the NJ Transit - Bergen line to Hoboken. 15 min on the ferry (I refuse to take the path), and a 5 min walk to the office on Wall St. When you add the time to drive to the train and park, probably about 80 minutes door to door. But, it's definitely better than driving!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,092 times
Default Your advice/input

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I was wondering how long and how far some of us NJerseyans drive to work, from what town or county to what town. What time of the day and what days is also very important. And as someone else said no company helicopter times or driving 140 MPH going thru red lights LOL and why if you want also post. I'll start with myself, I live in the northernmost part of Ocean County and work in Jersey City approx. 60 miles. If I leave on Mondays thru Fridays before 6AM it takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes. If I leave after 6:30AM all bets are off it could be anywhere from 1 hour 20 minutes to sometimes close to 2 hours. I also work weekends as I prefer because I miss most of the commuting traffic. My personal reason is I love the beach 1 mile away and I enjoy to boat and fish in Barnegat Bay. IMHO the schools were great for the children not anymore as they are off to college. Does it work for me, yes, does commuting stink, yes, sometimes I laugh when one of my co-workers who lives in Toms River says it takes him 45 minutes to get to work. I guess he borrowed the chopper. LOL Youall have a nice day now. Jersey Man

I may be offered a position this week in Murray Hill/New Providence. I am living in Brick... is that a doable commute or should I turn it down? I am new to the area and not very familiar with traffic or transportation alternatives. Any advice or input you can provide is appreciated... Thanks! April
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or