U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 PM

500 posts, read 1,164,519 times

Advertisements

Although Optimum relies on power, there's one thing I like about Optimum service are the free wi-fi hotspots in public places. One of the malls have bad wi-fi connections. Having an Optimum account erases that problem.

I have Verizon for cell phone service so they provide the 4g service, which has been pretty good throughout this blackout for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 AM

6,359 posts, read 6,460,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
Although Optimum relies on power, there's one thing I like about Optimum service are the free wi-fi hotspots in public places. One of the malls have bad wi-fi connections. Having an Optimum account erases that problem.

I have Verizon for cell phone service so they provide the 4g service, which has been pretty good throughout this blackout for me.
Meanwhile, for $39 and $10/month on your Share Everything plan you can have a Jetpack which will act as a hotspot powering up to 10 devices wherever there is 4G coverage. And the speed is almost as good as your wired Internet home connection. Unbelievable product, unbelievable speed. Running my laptop anywhere in northern NJ using gotomypc and it's as if I am sitting at my home computer. Not to mention my Ipad, which seems to run faster on the Jetpack than it does with its native receiver.

Coverage is everything, and Verizon has the best coverage. I don't care about the tech support, I never call them, the stuff just works. And it works fast. And it works smooth.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 AM

614 posts, read 1,065,364 times
I love hearing crap stories about Verizon lol I have had FiOS for.... close to five years, two contracts and right now out of contract as of a few months ago, and I have never had issues with the service. I guess in some cases it depends on the customers location I know that sounds bad and it should work everyplace but maybe not.

The other funny thing I love to hear is how VZW is over priced ok well maybe it is but I don't hear to often how cell service fails like at&t did this past week for some of my friends that have at&t. Thats something that I can't complain about, coverage every where I go!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
I must agree. While we did not lose service at all during the storm, it's pretty awful in general. We used to have Optimum, but when we moved, had to choose between FiOS and Comcast. So we chose FiOS. We've found ourselves to have significantly less channels, some random Chicago based network, slow channel guides (SD and HD set top boxes), constantly interrupted signal and freezing images and mediocre internet speeds. Tie that all in with the absolutely worst, soul crushingly awful customer service on earth. It's a joke, I hate it.

I'd give anything (ok almost) to have Optimum back.
I have had both. Optimum was slow, unreliable, and a PITA to deal with. Verizon is fast, reliable, and a PITA to deal with. The choice is obvious.

The worst option is always DirecTV or any satellite provider. Performance rating is 0-2. Optimum is a little better, scoring a 3.5. FIOS is a 9. If you have the choice between Optimum and FIOS, choosing Optimum should qualify you for some kind of free government mental health program. I believe gross irrationality of this sort may also be covered by your health insurance.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 AM

24,511 posts, read 31,721,400 times
As a reasonably happy Comcast customer in central NJ, I feel that FIOS is excellent. Neither FIOS nor Comcast had outages in our area that were not related to the lack of electricity.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 AM

24,511 posts, read 31,721,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post

Keep in mind that Cellco P. and Verizon are two companies providing different services. Cellco P. does not provide wired broadband services like Verizon and Optimum.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 AM

3,272 posts, read 11,632,822 times
My experience with Cablevision is if you live in an area with cable lines that are old and have been repaired numerous times, then their service sucks. We had Cablevision for years and had nothing but trouble, picture breaking up, no internet etc. One Cablevision repairman told me that my problem was that the lines in my home (RG59) were not adequate to carry the signal (learned after that's not true). I rewired my home with RG6 quad cable, changed all the splitters and still had the same problem. I finally got a Cablevision repairman to fess up and he told me about the problems with the old lines. He said we would never have trouble free service until those lines are replaced. We finally switched over to Fios and have trouble free service. We didn't lose service during the storm. My neighbors with Cablevision are still out. I will say this. My daughter lives in a new development and the only cable option is Cablevision. Their picture quality is excellent, so it may lend some creedence to the old line theory.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Picture quality is related to compression. FIOS picture quality beats Optimum because the increased bandwidth allows for less compression. Less compression, better picture, less artifacts, etc. If you have a large TV and are weighing FIOS vs Optimum, do the research and find out what rate of compression you will be forced to endure. With DirecTV or any satellite provider, it's silly to spend too much on a good TV. Its capabilities will never be realized with the compression rates required for satellite transmission.

This is similar to watching a movie with Netflix vs BluRay. I cannot even watch a Netflix movie. The PQ is garbage. For all important movies, I will only watch on a Blu-Ray release. Netflix or On-Demand is like watching a movie on an old VHS tape.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM

12,542 posts, read 16,556,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Went through Sandy from beginning to end. FIOS never failed. Not even once. And even with a huge pine tree crashing on the pole outside of my house and ripping the fiber lines to the ground. Verizon is the best there is in the current market. Faster. More reliable. Best coverage by far. I really don't see how it's possible to make a rational argument for any of the other carriers.

And I'm not a fanboy. If AT&T or Sprint or Optimum or anyone else were close, I'd be happy to state that. But it's not true. Verizon simply blows the competition off the charts in every meaningful way.
i'm with you. i was waiting and waiting to get it in Hoboken cause i was so sick of cablevisions crappy service (customer service was decent - i had to speak to them frequently). i was resetting my box and modem so many times, i memorized how to do it.

well, moved to west orange, got FIOS, and never looked back. customer service can improve, but in 2.75 yrs, i've needed them twice. the first time was annoying (had to do with install), second time, needed an infrared extender, they solved it quickly and shipped it out to me.

i've never had an issue with picture quality (was a weekly occurence with optimum), and internet is reliable and fast.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM

249 posts, read 680,893 times
At least you had coverage! My Comcast is still down and we were only without power for 1 day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey