U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM

23 posts, read 40,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I heard the Mayor, or Gov'r put a freeze on gas prices to avoid that. A good proactive thing to do.
No, it isn't. It's the reason why there is a gas shortage, why there are people in line even though they don't need gas, and why so few stations are open. And it hasn't even stopped the gouging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM

43,310 posts, read 42,921,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Eveyone has a situation like me I have a 05 Nissan with 130K miles and no job to replace it anytime soon and if something major goes wrong, but whatever I am happy I have A car to drive to job interviews... well I guess I won't be spending too too much on gas then.. lol funny but not. But we will see how everything goes, I am glad I don't have a car payment anymore thats one less thing to worry about one less bill to pay.
Good luck to you--I hope the car holds up and you find a job soon.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM

26,582 posts, read 49,415,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We want my mother to get a cell phone for emergencies. She'll be 84 next month, and she still drives during daylight hours. She recently broke down and was able to get her car off 17 and to a place where she could call for help and a tow truck, but she was unable to call my brothers to come get her. The tow truck driver gave her a ride, but because she uses a cane and has some arthritis issues, it wasn't easy for her to climb up into the cab.

On the other hand, I noticed that people like her and my boss's 91-year-old mother are the least likely to panic in these storms. They survived the Depression, blackouts during WWII, etc. A storm and a few days loss of power are no biggie.

As a matter of fact, I don't even think most people know about the WWII mandatory blackouts on the East Coast!
My dad grew up in CT during WWII and he told me about them. I have a WWII ration book with a few coupons left in it that my great aunt gave me. Those Depression babies could squeeze three dollars out of a nickel.

You might want to consider putting your mom on your plan if you can do a "family plan." We did this for my in-laws and got them each a free basic phone. I want to think it's about $10 a month plus a few bucks in taxes for the extra line. They only use it for emergencies and my MIL uses it on weekends to call her sister and gab for hours when the minutes are free, so the cost is negligible to us, but we know they've got the phone if they are in the car. MY sister did the same thing for our mother, just added her on to her plan.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 PM

9,266 posts, read 8,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My dad grew up in CT during WWII and he told me about them. I have a WWII ration book with a few coupons left in it that my great aunt gave me. Those Depression babies could squeeze three dollars out of a nickel.

You might want to consider putting your mom on your plan if you can do a "family plan." We did this for my in-laws and got them each a free basic phone. I want to think it's about $10 a month plus a few bucks in taxes for the extra line. They only use it for emergencies and my MIL uses it on weekends to call her sister and gab for hours when the minutes are free, so the cost is negligible to us, but we know they've got the phone if they are in the car. MY sister did the same thing for our mother, just added her on to her plan.
Great idea!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:17 PM

43,310 posts, read 42,921,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Two of my brothers live with her, and one of them talked with her about getting her the phone so I thought it was a done deal, but she hasn't mentioned it since so I'm not sure if they went ahead. He should be able to put her on his, otherwise I will put her on mine.

That ration book is a collector's item!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:51 PM

3,348 posts, read 4,403,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4656 View Post
No, it isn't. It's the reason why there is a gas shortage, why there are people in line even though they don't need gas, and why so few stations are open. And it hasn't even stopped the gouging.
Exactly, people are going in lines and reselling it for $20/g on craigslist. If the market prices went higher, people would get what they need. Instead, they are stockpiling extra containers to resell or hoard. If the price spiked up to meet demand, people would buy what they need and not be able to resell it. Craigslist users are selling at market prices.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 PM

334 posts, read 549,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
they are about 10% higher, which is the amount legally allowed with price guaging restrictions.

PA is cheaper now though....$3.50ish in PA, $3.80ish most of the places near me in jersey.

gas prices nationally are down because of the decreased demand in the northeast due to the storm. sounds counterintuitive, but less people on the roads, believe it or not, and a lot less energy being used in other places as well.
West Orange (up the hil)
has the highest gas in the area unless you buy on Main street, which is more refective of the rest of the area. I usually buy in Belevile/Bloomfied or route 46 in Bergen. Today in Bloomfied, it was $3.69 a gallon.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 PM

334 posts, read 549,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
West Orange (up the hil)
has the highest gas in the area unless you buy on Main street, which is more refective of the rest of the area. I usually buy in Belevile/Bloomfied or route 46 in Bergen. Today in Bloomfied, it was $3.69 a gallon.
Just looked at my receipt...actually was $3.59.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 PM

8,682 posts, read 11,958,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
West Orange (up the hil)
The station at Mt. Pleasant and Pleasant Valley is always 10-30 cents above all the others; that's not new for the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey