U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM
 
13,994 posts, read 15,632,593 times
Reputation: 20352

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Just a quick question, since I don't live in the area. Due to this rationing thing going on, are gas prices remaining stable or has there been a spike in prices?

I ask because prices are usually jacked up when a crisis hits.
I heard the Mayor, or Gov'r put a freeze on gas prices to avoid that. A good proactive thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
 
9,263 posts, read 8,098,997 times
Reputation: 16928
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I heard the Mayor, or Gov'r put a freeze on gas prices to avoid that. A good proactive thing to do.
Yes, it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,540 posts, read 16,243,661 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
The even/odd thing is why i had to fill up after being half full this morning. i will not be able to go Wed and would be near fumes by Friday.
so it's helping and hurting. i will certainly fill up wed whether i need it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,540 posts, read 16,243,661 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
The even/odd thing is why i had to fill up after being half full this morning. i will not be able to go Wed and would be near fumes by Friday.
so it's helping AND hurting. i'll fill up wednesday whether i need it or not, because if i wait til friday...if it's still bad, i'll be in trouble. it's all pushing up when people buy gas, into a time period where we need less people buying gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,540 posts, read 16,243,661 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Just a quick question, since I don't live in the area. Due to this rationing thing going on, are gas prices remaining stable or has there been a spike in prices?

I ask because prices are usually jacked up when a crisis hits.
they are about 10% higher, which is the amount legally allowed with price guaging restrictions.

PA is cheaper now though....$3.50ish in PA, $3.80ish most of the places near me in jersey.

gas prices nationally are down because of the decreased demand in the northeast due to the storm. sounds counterintuitive, but less people on the roads, believe it or not, and a lot less energy being used in other places as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM
 
43,283 posts, read 42,833,931 times
Reputation: 45492
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
anyone with a cell phone (smartphone or not) can text 46645 (GOOGL) with the word "gas station" and will receive a text back with gas stations close to your location. you can include the town you want in the text, and it will return gas stations in that town.

the smartphone app gasbuddy (i believe there is one for blackberry, def for android and iOS) lists gas stations also.

there are ways. not everyone uses them or is aware of them, but smartphone penetration right now is around 55%-60%, so we're talking most people have the capability, or a neighbor who does.
Good info, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM
 
9,263 posts, read 8,098,997 times
Reputation: 16928
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
gas prices nationally are down because of the decreased demand in the northeast due to the storm. sounds counterintuitive, but less people on the roads, believe it or not, and a lot less energy being used in other places as well.
Finally, they're down. Our gas prices were reaching $5.00/gal. Some refinery issues in the state. I still think it was just another way to stick it to us. But, yes. They are finally in breathing room. $3.79/gal yesterday. Still too high for my liking but it's better than it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 29,206,377 times
Reputation: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
they are about 10% higher, which is the amount legally allowed with price guaging restrictions.

PA is cheaper now though....$3.50ish in PA, $3.80ish most of the places near me in jersey.

gas prices nationally are down because of the decreased demand in the northeast due to the storm. sounds counterintuitive, but less people on the roads, believe it or not, and a lot less energy being used in other places as well.
wow, such a discrepancy. it's around $3.50 around me (reg).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,540 posts, read 16,243,661 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
wow, such a discrepancy. it's around $3.50 around me (reg).
you're further west than me, so that makes sense. i've seen anywhere from $3.70-$3.80 for reg. i'll check my gasbuddy app on the way home tonight to see what prices are posted. but PA being $3.50 when their gas tax is somewhere around 25 cents higher than ours means your station prices should be closer to $3.25 right now. so you're still around the 10% upcharge limit as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,540 posts, read 16,243,661 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good info, thanks.
i try. not everyone is aware of these things. not everyone has a car charger (i don't...i'm never in my car long enough for it to be worthwhile). i've found other means to charge my phone. people have been occupied with many things, and travelling for gas doesn't always come to mind when you're worried about keeping the house at a reasonable temp for your 2 year old....but...i agree with the other poster's general points that there is definitely an issue with some lack of preperation on some part.

there should not have been lines for gas 1 and 2 days after the storm. if it started on friday/saturday, i could understand. because it started right away...it just got worse and worse as the panic people joined in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top