Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times

Advertisements

Out of power for 6 days last October, out 7 and counting this year.

Not really acceptable. I realize its an "act of god" but I like to always think that we can do better then the status quo. Especially for the elderly.

Is there any realistic alternative to our current electric system? Underground lines? metal lines? something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Underground lines , Metal poles , wood poles easily break while Metal poles can handle alot of weight... Of Course this is the US....we don't invest in ourselves....we also need Tidal barriers and more leeves....and restored wetlands....

Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Underground would do it for many towns. But I have the suspicion that political priorities had something to do with it too. Why did some barrier islands get power back before western Essex and Morris counties? Answer: media's eyes were on the shore towns, and Atlantic City is of course a showpiece.

BTW my house is still apparently without power though some of WO got it back tonight.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,870 times
Underground lines don't really make that much difference because at some point the lines are above ground. I've lived with underground lines for the last 25 years and we lose power all the time.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Underground lines are a pain, when they get damaged by flood. You are out of power even longer.

Chopping down tall trees would make a huge difference. Many of the power outages to overhead lines are a result of downed trees. If you look at the crew numbers for the power companies, they have just as many tree trimming crews as linesman.

Turn the trees into lumber or firewood.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen22 View Post
Underground lines don't really make that much difference because at some point the lines are above ground. I've lived with underground lines for the last 25 years and we lose power all the time.
All lines need to go underground , usually in areas where you get storms alot or high winds..... Go on Google Maps , most of European lines are underground even in the countryside and coastal areas and where there above ground the poles are metal. Wood is used in Japan , a few countries aside from the US...and Canada but Metal is becoming popular. Russia has put 90% of its grid underground....

Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 PM

Have you ever even been to Europe? There are many aerial lines there. Metal poles are not going to help when trees come crashing down, the lines will break or the poles will be pulled out of the ground. And metal poles can become energized and present a greater hazard.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
I don't know what the cost of converting existing overhead lines to underground lines would cost but I'm pretty sure the rate payers would balk when presented with the cost.

Plus add in the permit process, lawsuits from EPA types, political chicanery and so on and it could take decades.

Look how long it took to complete some of the highways in NJ (24 from Short Hills to Morristown comes to mind).

Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
Underground lines , Metal poles , wood poles easily break while Metal poles can handle alot of weight

Like this time when the areas flooded and all the equipment was destroyed and the lines were filled with salt water? Then who pays for the hookups? The homeowner is responsible for bringing it from the street to the home. So trenching to the house and possibly under roadways in many cases will be a few thousands per home. Fine for commercial and apartment complexs. Individual homes? Refitting would be billions.

When there's a problem, then the crews spend a day on each issue. so you waits days instead of hours. It's far from a perfect solution.

Quote:
I don't know what the cost of converting existing overhead lines to underground lines would cost
At each home there needs to be a "drop". when the drop is across the roadway, what would you think the cost would be?? Quite a lot. When do you think Verizon stopped installing FIOS?

Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 PM

Numbers tossed around the net are from $5 to $15 million per mile to bury distribution. This being NJ, expect the upper end. I don't know if that includes drops. I spent three days once waiting for an underground transformer repair that would have been mere hours if the transformer had been above ground, but I think outside areas prone to flooding that underground would be better overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey