U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM

2,490 posts, read 5,249,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
again...there was a state of emergency where lots of us should not have been on the roads. our companies put us in crappy positions.
I think the shortage and long lines was more to do with people looking for fuel for there generators then people looking for gas for there cars to get to work. Personally I only had 12 gallons on hand before the storm, but after 1 1/2 days of running my generator, I had to get more gas. I could have filled up another jug and had 18 gallons on hand before the storm, but it certainly wouldn't have lasted a week without power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 05:12 PM

26,582 posts, read 49,425,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Ok maybe the state can step in. All gas stations need to be wired at accept power from a mobile generator by 2015. A disaster strikes where where no gas stations in an area have power, the state can deploy 3 or 4 mobile generators at gas stations strategically placed to assist with the situation. A portion of taxes on every gallon of gas pumped can then maintain and pay for this program.
Very unfair to the small mom and pop stations that can't afford that type of cost--there's a place near me that has two pumps. They should not have that sort of burden placed on them. NJ would be better off enacting it like Florida where it's only the large stations that are required to have back up power. Many are corporately owned so it's an affordable cost to them.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:17 PM

3,322 posts, read 2,395,854 times

Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 PM

2,706 posts, read 8,289,459 times
Simple Answer: Generators run on gas. If a gas station has no power, but they do have a generator than they will have use all of their gas to run the generator to pump gas. Generators run on Gas :-)

It's simple logic! It's not a nonprofit industry.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 AM

3,257 posts, read 11,491,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Simple Answer: Generators run on gas. If a gas station has no power, but they do have a generator than they will have use all of their gas to run the generator to pump gas. Generators run on Gas :-)

It's simple logic! It's not a nonprofit industry.
Most commercial generators run on "DIESEL" there is also an option for natural gas and propane fueled generators. Most gas stations have at least 1 of these fuel sources "DIESEL". Many have 2 "DIESEL and NATURAL GAS" and some that refill propane tanks have all 3 available. It's not hard to have an on site diesel storage tank that can fuel a generator and if it was me and had an option of all three fuel sources I would opt for a bi- fuel natural gas / propane fired generator. It's not rocket science but it surely has you baffled.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 AM

We are not talking about pumping fuel out of 50 gallon fuel tanks in the back of our pickup trucks. We are talking about pumping thousand of gallons of gas out of buried fuel tanks. Hand pump is not an option.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM

271 posts, read 429,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
LOL. Like someone going to accidentally trip over the power cord the runs from the gas pump to the outlet and shut it down. The pumps are "hardwired" back to a panel, if there was no way to shut them off in an emergency, it would be a major safety violation. The generator feeds the electrical panel, so long as there's some kind of disconnect or shutoff that prevents the main breaker from being on when the generator is running, they are safe. If you don't have enough power to run all of the pumps at once, you switch the breakers off for pumps you can't run. Once those pumps tanks are low or empty, you turn off them and turn on the pumps that are full. Resource management.
Sure there is a way to shut the pumps off. But not all electrical panels are able to accomodate a generator. The ones that can't can be converted, but as someone already pointed out, this is a large project that requires an electrician experienced in this type of thing. It is also different than wiring up a household generator, as the commercial ones use 3-phase power.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 AM

3,322 posts, read 2,395,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
We are not talking about pumping fuel out of 50 gallon fuel tanks in the back of our pickup trucks. We are talking about pumping thousand of gallons of gas out of buried fuel tanks. Hand pump is not an option.

I expect a lot of people would be grateful to turn that crank. Of course, you would have to change the state law to allow customers to pump their own gas.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
Sure there is a way to shut the pumps off. But not all electrical panels are able to accomodate a generator. The ones that can't can be converted, but as someone already pointed out, this is a large project that requires an electrician experienced in this type of thing. It is also different than wiring up a household generator, as the commercial ones use 3-phase power.
Your right, in many cases you can't just go out get a generator any wire it into your existing panel. A 3 phase 200 amp automatic transfer switch can be had for about a thousand dollars. A bi-fuel (natural gas / propane) liquid cooled 25KW generator start at about 8500 dollars. So, for about 9500 bucks you can get the generator and switch. The additional cost of having a licensed electrician and plumber and how far away from the service panel the unit will be placed can probably in some cases double the cost. I guess the bottom line is how badly the business owners want to stay open and the amount of money they want to spend to do so would be the governing factor.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I expect a lot of people would be grateful to turn that crank. Of course, you would have to change the state law to allow customers to pump their own gas.
I don't think the State Of NJ would ever allow service stations to go into a hand pump operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey