Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

At work we are dealing with the fuel issues everyday since many of our clients are in the same boat as everyone else. We have gone so far as to rent tankers from other states and have them driven in to supply some fleets. The untold story of this is that FEMA, emergency personnel and the NG use a large amount of fuel. While there is a lot being trucked in, the emergency responders are getting first crack. While this is mainly impacting diesel availability regular gas is impacted as well. There ARE stations that have power, but no fuel and this is because the deliveries are being re-routed to supply the emergency personnel and keep them running.

There is technically NO SHORTAGE. I don't want to "fearmonger" or mislead people with the above statement, but local deliveries have certainly been impacted. Many stations that had scheduled deliveries had them cancelled to re-route the tankers to supply emergency management. There is enough supply at the refineries and DC's, but the issue now is getting enough tankers to distribute the supply. They are doing a good job with it though as far as I can tell. The only word is patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
At work we are dealing with the fuel issues everyday since many of our clients are in the same boat as everyone else. We have gone so far as to rent tankers from other states and have them driven in to supply some fleets. The untold story of this is that FEMA, emergency personnel and the NG use a large amount of fuel. While there is a lot being trucked in, the emergency responders are getting first crack. While this is mainly impacting diesel availability regular gas is impacted as well. There ARE stations that have power, but no fuel and this is because the deliveries are being re-routed to supply the emergency personnel and keep them running.

There is technically NO SHORTAGE. I don't want to "fearmonger" or mislead people with the above statement, but local deliveries have certainly been impacted. Many stations that had scheduled deliveries had them cancelled to re-route the tankers to supply emergency management. There is enough supply at the refineries and DC's, but the issue now is getting enough tankers to distribute the supply. They are doing a good job with it though as far as I can tell. The only word is patience.
I've been contemplating getting my CDL and going over the road on weekends as a second income for years. Just makes me wish I already had a CDL and could help deliver in my off time for extra cash.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
As it should be. People can live without gas for their generators. If they are too cold there are shelters open. They can not live without the people who put out fires, cut people out of crashed cars, and do CPR to bring back a drowning victim. They can't live without the people who deliver water and MRE's and move seniors in nursing homes without power to shelter.

By the way, so no one jumps on me, my husband filled up before the storm, he still has almost half a tank. He needs to make a run to Philadelphia later this week and will fill up while he's down that way. He isn't taking anyone's precious gas in NJ so they can run their generators to entertain their kids with Barney DVDs.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As it should be. People can live without gas for their generators. If they are too cold there are shelters open. They can not live without the people who put out fires, cut people out of crashed cars, and do CPR to bring back a drowning victim. They can't live without the people who deliver water and MRE's and move seniors in nursing homes without power to shelter.

By the way, so no one jumps on me, my husband filled up before the storm, he still has almost half a tank. He needs to make a run to Philadelphia later this week and will fill up while he's down that way. He isn't taking anyone's precious gas in NJ so they can run their generators to entertain their kids with Barney DVDs.
If I lose my generator, I lose my sump pump, If I lose my sump pump my basement floods. What should I do? Once again you make a statement without knowing all the facts. You don't know everybodys situation. Just for the record, I have a natural gas fired generator, so I'm not impacting the gas situation. I did have a portable gas generator for years and your right, I would be out there trying to get gas to make sure I could keep it running. Also for the record. I HATE BARNEY!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
If I lose my generator, I lose my sump pump, If I lose my sump pump my basement floods. What should I do? Once again you make a statement without knowing all the facts. You don't know everybodys situation. Just for the record, I have a natural gas fired generator, so I'm not impacting the gas situation. I did have a portable gas generator for years and your right, I would be out there trying to get gas to make sure I could keep it running. Also for the record. I HATE BARNEY!
Your basement flooding can not be equated with a person dying or a house burning to the ground and potentially taking half the neighborhood with it. End of story.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Your basement flooding can not be equated with a person dying or a house burning to the ground and potentially taking half the neighborhood with it. End of story.
Tell your husband to go to the armory in Freehold, bring his ID and he can get gas. My son is a volunteer fireman and he has been able to get gas both at the armory and one of the local gas stations that let emergency personnel go to the front of the line. I'm a retired police officer and have been checking in with a bunch of my old co-workers that are still on the job and they all have been able to get gas. There are provisions for them. Show me proof of one occasion where a person died or their house burned to the ground because one emergency service vehicle or the person that operates them did not have fuel. If your husband can't get gas then he's out of the loop or really not trying. That's really the end of the story.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Tell your husband to go to the armory in Freehold, bring his ID and he can get gas. My son is a volunteer fireman and he has been able to get gas both at the armory and one of the local gas stations that let emergency personnel go to the front of the line. I'm a retired police officer and have been checking in with a bunch of my old co-workers that are still on the job and they all have been able to get gas. There are provisions for them. Show me proof of one occasion where a person died or their house burned to the ground because one emergency service vehicle or the person that operates them did not have fuel. If your husband can't get gas then he's out of the loop or really not trying. That's really the end of the story.
"Regular" people are claiming they can't get because loads have been diverted to relief efforts by FEMA and the Corps of Engineers. I'm saying that "regular" people can live without gas. It's not going to kill them. FEMA is making sure that first responders CAN get fuel so that people don't die or lose their homes to fires. Freehold isn't the only place they are offering fuel to first responders. Most counties have a set up to ensure that they have the fuel to respond to true emergencies. Unfortunately many people can't separate true emergencies from "it sucks to be me" situations. Our society has become a bunch of entitled crybabies. Pathetic.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
The untold story of this is that FEMA, emergency personnel and the NG use a large amount of fuel. While there is a lot being trucked in, the emergency responders are getting first crack.
Sure are a lot of "emergency personnel" in ordinary cars lined up down Pleasant Valley Way in West Orange (after the stupid 6pm closure no less) to get the FEMA gas for the chosen people; us peons can forget about it. Once again, it's good to be king.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Sure are a lot of "emergency personnel" in ordinary cars lined up down Pleasant Valley Way in West Orange (after the stupid 6pm closure no less) to get the FEMA gas for the chosen people; us peons can forget about it. Once again, it's good to be king.
First of all, did you know that half of the non-LEO first responders in NJ are volunteers? If they don't have gas in their personal cars, how do you expect them to get to the firehouses/rescue squads to get the trucks and ambulances to respond to emergencies?

My husband has responded to at least a dozen first aid calls with a non-responsive victim directly in his personal car in the past year and begun CPR. He responded in his personal vehicle because he was at home, off duty, and knew he could get there before the ambulance could. He has had three CPR saves in the past two years from a direct response. Are you saying he shouldn't get priority for gas if he needs it?

If you think it's so "good to be king" why not get off your ass and spend your weekends and one weeknight for six months being trained so you can get certified and then spend 10-20 hours a week volunteering for a fire department or rescue squad. "Being king" comes with a price.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
"Regular" people are claiming they can't get because loads have been diverted to relief efforts by FEMA and the Corps of Engineers. I'm saying that "regular" people can live without gas. It's not going to kill them. FEMA is making sure that first responders CAN get fuel so that people don't die or lose their homes to fires. Freehold isn't the only place they are offering fuel to first responders. Most counties have a set up to ensure that they have the fuel to respond to true emergencies. Unfortunately many people can't separate true emergencies from "it sucks to be me" situations. Our society has become a bunch of entitled crybabies. Pathetic.
Stop hitting yourself in the head, it's gotta hurt by now. I asked you to cite 1 instance where emergency workers couldn't get through because of a "NO FUEL SITUATION". Seems like you have to be JUDGE, JURY, EXECUTIONER on every statement that anyone makes. I never said that an issue with water in my basement should take precedence over people dying, firemen being able to fight fires or any other emergency persons being able to do their jobs. What I said was if I had to go out and gas for my generator I would do it. If I was told that I can't have gas for my generator because we need it for emergency personnel than so be it. I might not like it but I would understand. Really, Does your head hurt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey