U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 AM
 
26,582 posts, read 49,506,313 times
Reputation: 12885

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Stop hitting yourself in the head, it's gotta hurt by now. I asked you to cite 1 instance where emergency workers couldn't get through because of a "NO FUEL SITUATION". Seems like you have to be JUDGE, JURY, EXECUTIONER on every statement that anyone makes. I never said that an issue with water in my basement should take precedence over people dying, firemen being able to fight fires or any other emergency persons being able to do their jobs. What I said was if I had to go out and gas for my generator I would do it. If I was told that I can't have gas for my generator because we need it for emergency personnel than so be it. I might not like it but I would understand. Really, Does your head hurt?
I never said they did, rather that if they couldn't get fuel that it was a possibility. You need to stop putting words into my mouth and move on with your entitled life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 AM
 
13,376 posts, read 12,075,913 times
Reputation: 25298
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I never said they did, rather that if they couldn't get fuel that it was a possibility. You need to stop putting words into my mouth and move on with your entitled life.
It's the tone of your posts. They sound very arrogant. I admire that your husband is a first responder, but how many more times are you going to use that to justify judging everyone else? Your tone of "quit whining and go to a shelter" sounds very cold to people who are going through enough as it is. "Let them eat cake" springs to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM
 
26,582 posts, read 49,506,313 times
Reputation: 12885
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's the tone of your posts. They sound very arrogant. I admire that your husband is a first responder, but how many more times are you going to use that to justify judging everyone else? Your tone of "quit whining and go to a shelter" sounds very cold to people who are going through enough as it is. "Let them eat cake" springs to mind.
Reality check. Complaining that you are cold and hungry isn't going to get the power back any faster. There is no reason not to go to a shelter if you don't have power or food. If I were still living in my original home in NJ which was a condo where I wouldn't have been able to use a generator, I would have gone to a shelter (or a friends house) after a few days with no power. It's not arrogance, it's common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Randolph, NJ
4,076 posts, read 6,331,889 times
Reputation: 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Reality check. Complaining that you are cold and hungry isn't going to get the power back any faster. There is no reason not to go to a shelter if you don't have power or food. If I were still living in my original home in NJ which was a condo where I wouldn't have been able to use a generator, I would have gone to a shelter (or a friends house) after a few days with no power. It's not arrogance, it's common sense.
Annerk has spoken! If she would do it, then it must be common sense and all others doing something else msut be idiots.

Really... can you be so totally tone deaf about your statements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 AM
 
26,582 posts, read 49,506,313 times
Reputation: 12885
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Annerk has spoken! If she would do it, then it must be common sense and all others doing something else msut be idiots.

Really... can you be so totally tone deaf about your statements?
Whatever. Then they can freeze. I don't what more to tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Randolph, NJ
4,076 posts, read 6,331,889 times
Reputation: 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Whatever. Then they can freeze. I don't what more to tell you.
This slap's for you! (since you seem so fond of the action)


Slap happy .wmv - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2012, 12:38 PM
 
26,582 posts, read 49,506,313 times
Reputation: 12885
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
This slap's for you! (since you seem so fond of the action)


Slap happy .wmv - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: plano
5,239 posts, read 6,476,736 times
Reputation: 4313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
As I pointed out, they can charge up to 10% more and not violate the NJ Price Gouging law. Station owners typically make a few cents a gallon, but if they can now charge 36 cent a gallon (10% of $3.60 per gallon of gas), that's quite a jump in profits. Price gouging yes, but perfectly legal price gouging. If i was a station owner, I'd buy a generator and keep it at my house. This way I have use of it, but can still run it over to the station if I need to run the pumps in an emergency. I'm sure you can run several pumps with a portable 6kw 3 phase generator, and when those tanks are empty, move the power to other pumps.
You need an economics course. If someone adds a generator and other stations do not...he cant raise his price without losing customers. Are you proposing the state should require all to have them? There is competition for customers and no one is going to get a 10c per gallon price increase to stick.

Why do people build so close to the ocean where this type damage to their home can occur? Same reason gasoline stations do not have generators... years of nothing this severe happening makes people complacent and the investment for the generator is dead weight and not valueable to them often at all. This is not the only reason others have touched on many of them.

I cant believe that none of the service stations have generators...if one did he could sell a ton of fuel when this once in a 50 or 100 years storm hits.

The cost of the generator and space for it are part of the reason but running it and keeping it maintained is another one....when something isnt needed often, the routine ongoing maintenance can lag and render the generator investment useless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Galloway, NJ
2,490 posts, read 5,263,335 times
Reputation: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I expect a lot of people would be grateful to turn that crank. Of course, you would have to change the state law to allow customers to pump their own gas.
Actually so long as the attendant is operating the end that dispenses the fuel, I don't see why just anyone can provide the manual labor to turn the crank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2012, 01:20 PM
 
8,695 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Reputation: 8142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's the tone of your posts. They sound very arrogant. I admire that your husband is a first responder, but how many more times are you going to use that to justify judging everyone else? Your tone of "quit whining and go to a shelter" sounds very cold to people who are going through enough as it is. "Let them eat cake" springs to mind.
Yep, apparently people shouldn't be allowed to help themselves, they should wait for help from the government. If they want to help themselves, government will put up roadblocks (sometimes literally) and confiscate and/or divert any resources they'd like to use. And if the government doesn't feel like helping them, well, they should just be glad they're not drowning in a house fire while being electrocuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top