Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

generator for a gas station with 8 pumps could easily be $10-$20k. that doesn't shock me at all. a whole house generator can run $10k or $15k, depending what size you get.

how often does this happen, is the key question...why would any gas station owner invest in the generator? their margins on gasoline are thin as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Whether you have a generator for home or business when it is under water it won't work so well anyway. Why invest in something that will not work when you need it the most.

Would YOU invest that much money for something that won't work during a situation like the current one?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Whether you have a generator for home or business when it is under water it won't work so well anyway. Why invest in something that will not work when you need it the most.

Would YOU invest that much money for something that won't work during a situation like the current one?
Helloooooo.... Most gas stations were NOT under water. They just didn't have power to run the pumps!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
A typical pump uses 3 phase (277-480v), equipment powered with 3 phase runs more efficiently than single phase (120v) or 2 phase (220v). Typical gas generators only produce two phase power. So while the pumps may not need a lot of voltage to operate, they need 3 phase power. On the other hand, you can pick up a 6 Kw 3 phase generator for $3,500. With a panel lockout, I see no reason why any gas station can't be powered by a generator in an emergency.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Helloooooo.... Most gas stations were NOT under water. They just didn't have power to run the pumps!

HELLO, I'm just saying IF cripes already. I've only seen photos and news stories online. Just because it did NOT happen this time does NOT mean it won't ever happen. Those stories have not shown EVERY part of the area that is underwater just bits and pieces. Since I don't live there I have no way of knowing and it is just a "what if" scenario.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
A typical pump uses 3 phase (277-480v), equipment powered with 3 phase runs more efficiently than single phase (120v) or 2 phase (220v). Typical gas generators only produce two phase power. So while the pumps may not need a lot of voltage to operate, they need 3 phase power. On the other hand, you can pick up a 6 Kw 3 phase generator for $3,500. With a panel lockout, I see no reason why any gas station can't be powered by a generator in an emergency.
You are forgetting a few things.

They need to have a fuel tank to run it off of. They can't use the in ground service tanks due to state laws regarding weights and measures. It needs to be a separate fuel facility. Second, they need to have it installed. It requires a master electrician. They aren't cheap. It needs to have a concrete slab poured to secure it to, you can't just put one of those on dirt or asphalt. It has to be placed on the opposite side of any structure from air intakes--there needs to be space to accommodate this and generally prior to applying for permits, the station operator would need to have someone develop a CAD drawing plan of the facility. And permits need to be pulled. None of this is free.

And again, most stations are leased. No one in their right mind is going to spend that type of money to permanently affix something to the station that they don't own.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
HELLO, I'm just saying IF cripes already. I've only seen photos and news stories online. Just because it did NOT happen this time does NOT mean it won't ever happen. Those stories have not shown EVERY part of the area that is underwater just bits and pieces. Since I don't live there I have no way of knowing and it is just a "what if" scenario.
Look at this map and you'll get a clearer vision of where the power is out and how far most of it is from the shore before you respond again. FirstEnergy Storm Center

Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
how often does this happen, is the key question...why would any gas station owner invest in the generator? their margins on gasoline are thin as it is.
As I pointed out, they can charge up to 10% more and not violate the NJ Price Gouging law. Station owners typically make a few cents a gallon, but if they can now charge 36 cent a gallon (10% of $3.60 per gallon of gas), that's quite a jump in profits. Price gouging yes, but perfectly legal price gouging. If i was a station owner, I'd buy a generator and keep it at my house. This way I have use of it, but can still run it over to the station if I need to run the pumps in an emergency. I'm sure you can run several pumps with a portable 6kw 3 phase generator, and when those tanks are empty, move the power to other pumps.

Last edited by TechGromit; 11-05-2012 at 08:15 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
They need to have a fuel tank to run it off of. They can't use the in ground service tanks due to state laws regarding weights and measures. It needs to be a separate fuel facility. Second, they need to have it installed.
A portable generator needs to be installed? I'd like to see the regulations on that. Plenty of other business are up and running on portable generators, why do gas stations have special requirements?

Quote:
It requires a master electrician. They aren't cheap.
Yes they are, BUT the Electrical Code allows Homeowners to do there own electrical work so long as it's to code. you don't NEED an electrician if you know how to do it yourself. I would imagine business owners have the same rights.

Quote:
It needs to have a concrete slab poured to secure it to, you can't just put one of those on dirt or asphalt.
A portable generator needs to be on a poured slab? As for permits, I'm sure any town would be happy to wave the permits during an emergency that is currently occurring.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
When I got gas yesterday, the pumps were running very slowly. My tank took something over 9 gallons, and the process probably took about ten minutes. I THINK the gas station was in a section that had power and that it wasn't running off of generator power, but because all pumps were going, perhaps it was slow. I can't swear to that, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey