U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM

5,813 posts, read 9,343,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanlinxun View Post
I should also add that the firm I will be working for is at Times Square. I don't know what that does to commute times, but I am pretty sure I can just walk there from Penn Station.
Rents will be cheaper in Morris.

My family rents out 2 houses in Morris County at 2500/pop.

However, since you are presumably a corporate lawyer and will have very long hours (presumably) I'm guessing the better bet is somewhere closer.

Check the Bus schedule for NJ Transit into Midtown Port Authority and cross reference that with the list of top schools for NJ publication.

It's not going to really matter for elementary aged children though. Any suburban town in NJ has good schools really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,968,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Um, you might want to check out a map of the area. The Midtown direct trains take you to Penn Station NYC, which is located between 31st and 32nd street at 8th ave. Times Square is 42nd St at 7th so you are looking at an about 12 block walk, and blocks are rather large in midtown, so you are looking at nearly a mile which with the traffic lights will take a while. Much better idea to take a five minute subway ride to the time square station from Penn.

KoalaNJ
12 short blocks = 0.6 mile. Penn Station extends from 7th to 8th -- the trick is to get on the train at the right spot. Get on the FRONT of the train to exit near 7th avenue. Get on the BACK of the train to exit near 8th avenue. That saves you most of a long block when you exit.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM

10,619 posts, read 15,246,799 times
Quote:
I should also add that the firm I will be working for is at Times Square. I don't know what that does to commute times, but I am pretty sure I can just walk there from Penn Station.
If you are taking a bus in, it will take you to Port Authority and you'll be able to walk.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM

32 posts, read 43,599 times
Quote:
Um, you might want to check out a map of the area. The Midtown direct trains take you to Penn Station NYC, which is located between 31st and 32nd street at 8th ave. Times Square is 42nd St at 7th so you are looking at an about 12 block walk, and blocks are rather large in midtown, so you are looking at nearly a mile which with the traffic lights will take a while. Much better idea to take a five minute subway ride to the time square station from Penn.

KoalaNJ

I must have got lucky with the lights when I came in for my interviews, because the walk from Penn Station to the interviews only took about 10-15 minutes. I will definitely defer to experience on this topic though.

A follow up question to some of the other posts is what kind of a time difference is there between bus vs. train? Again, some equation of schools and commute time is what we are trying to sort out.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM

271 posts, read 429,325 times
Quote:
I must have got lucky with the lights when I came in for my interviews, because the walk from Penn Station to the interviews only took about 10-15 minutes. I will definitely defer to experience on this topic though.

A follow up question to some of the other posts is what kind of a time difference is there between bus vs. train? Again, some equation of schools and commute time is what we are trying to sort out.
Whether you come in by bus or train, walking to Times Square is no problem. From Penn Station, you basically walk straight up 7th Ave. If you come in at PABT (bus), then you have to walk a few blocks up, but over an extra avenue. Either way, an easy walk.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM

259 posts, read 422,683 times
Quote:

KoalaNJ
Please don't be ridiculous. Penn to Times Square is an easy walk, and you'd be saving at most 5 minutes by taking the subway for one stop, depending on exactly where the office is. Not to mention that this potential saving of a little bit of time will cost you $104 a month.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 PM

32 posts, read 43,599 times
So it looks like I have a lot of choices. Are there any places closer than Bergen or Morris county with really good schools?

Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,968,203 times
Quote:
So it looks like I have a lot of choices. Are there any places closer than Bergen or Morris county with really good schools?
Sure -- as I mentioned, Summit (Union County), Millburn, Maplewood, and South Orange (Essex County). South Orange is as close as you can get and still have acceptable schools and a one-seat train commute. Millburn is the closest you can get a one-seat train commute and be in a "prestige" school district.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,360,418 times
Default ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
12 short blocks = 0.6 mile. Penn Station extends from 7th to 8th -- the trick is to get on the train at the right spot. Get on the FRONT of the train to exit near 7th avenue. Get on the BACK of the train to exit near 8th avenue. That saves you most of a long block when you exit.
Ah, I did not know about the difference in getting out of Penn depending on where on the train you are....since I usually ride in one of the last cars, it results in a longer walk. Thanks for the info! I am also usually going during rush hour and that def. influences the waiting to cross the street delays. I am not saying it is an unmanageable walk, just for me personally it is a bit of a hassle, one that I can easily avoid with a five min. subway ride. (esp in winter or bad weather!) And while I have done this trip a number of times, it is not part of my daily commute.

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey