U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Single mom wanting to leave Florida for New Jersey, dislike Florida high cost of living, terrible traffic, bad job market

Old 10-15-2007, 09:12 AM

52 posts, read 212,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1 View Post
Agreed. Teaching jobs are much harder to come by here than in Florida. I would definitely be sure I have a job first if I were you. School districts want to see you certified in your state up here. I am a teacher in PA, and it took years of subbing to find a job.
This is so true. My girlfriend moved from FL to NJ last year and she's had a very hard time finding a teaching job in NJ. It's very political!!! She has a masters degree in education from Rutgers University which is in this state and certification from Florida. But none of that mattered. To put it how people here describe the process: "You have to know someone". Hopefully your experience is different. My gf now teaches in NYC. NYC was more welcoming and actually looked at her qualifications.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
Default Possible Help

Hello, I may have a solution for you. I am in the process of getting divorce, but I am doing everything I can to keep my house. I have a large split level in a great suburb with a terrific school district. I live in Washington Twp. and I believe there are quite a few teaching jobs in the area and several great colleges in driving distance. I have a 6 year old son who also attends the area schools. You can reach me at my email address Archerd151@msn.com.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:55 PM

88 posts, read 301,966 times
Default dON'T BE SCARD, BE SAFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingTheSunshine View Post
Iíve been watching this website for the past 3 months now, but today I felt compelled to post something. I currently live in Lake Mary, Florida. And I hate it. Cost of living is very high here and living has become unbearable. I decided last year itís time to move and since my daughterís father lives in Somerset NJ, I figured it would better to go where Iíll have a support system. I noticed that there are tons of moving to Jersey posts so Iím going to list the reasons I hate FL, then what Iím looking for in NJ and see if anyone can help me.

I hate FL because
1.With my bachelors in education, I was unable to secure a teaching job because the county is on freeze. So I work as a clerk for $13 hourly or about $27,000 yearly. I am a single mother Ė thatís just not enough.
2.Most apartments here go on income and I make too much for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment, but not enough for a 3. So I have to go to unsubsidized complexes, where I pay $890 for a 2bdr, 735 sq ft with no washer/dryer hookups.
4. Traffic is horrible, driving is horrible, you have to get on the expressway to go anywhere and they are raising the tolls AGAIN!
5.The job market here stinks. Iím either overqualified or donít have enough experience, everything here is sales or telemarketing.

What Iím looking for in NJ...
1.A nice area. My daughter is six years old, I would like to live in an area where I feel safe walking with her alone. I know every city has its bad parts, there are places here I wouldnít go alone in the middle of the day, but safety is my number one concern.
2.Somewhere equidistant between Somerset and Montclair, as I will be going to school there 1 year after I move
3.Good school systems Ė my daughter will attend public school.
4.My biggest thing is I'm scared. I've never been there, aside from a long ago high school field trip and I don't know anything about it. My funds don't allow me to take looksee trips, so I can only go by my online research and advice from my daughter's father. I understand cost-of-living is high, but I think it's lower then what I pay here because the pay level is so low in comparsion. And some posts make it seem like you're going to get mugged, shot, stabbed, killed or beaten to death just by walking out your front door....so yeah I'm a little scared to leave the "safety" of my Florida home.

I'm looking for honest, open-minded suggestions of possible locations, websites, expereinces, anything that will give me a little more guidance as I look.

Thatís about all I need to know right now. Thanks in advance!

Julie
SOMERSET AND MONCLAIR ARE GOOD CHOICES. YOU KNOW THE CERTAIN ONES NOT TO GO TO? HMMMMM! BECAREFUL!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:19 AM

9,164 posts, read 20,195,772 times
Burlington County is cheaper then North Jersey. Our schools have a decent web site. Pemberton NJ schools - Current job openings are here (broken link)

Quote:
What I’m looking for in NJ...
1.A nice area. My daughter is six years old, I would like to live in an area where I feel safe walking with her alone. I know every city has its bad parts, there are places here I wouldn’t go alone in the middle of the day, but safety is my number one concern.
I'm in 08015, Browns Mills, which is Pemberton Township. I'm in the Country Lakes section which is nice. If you look at a map, it is right off of Rout 70.

The problem you will run into is getting your daughter off of the bus as they usually don't allow a kid that young to get off of the bus on their own. I don't doubt you could find someone to get her off of the bus.

Quote:
2.Somewhere equidistant between Somerset and Montclair, as I will be going to school there 1 year after I move
Any reason you are set on these 2 schools? We have Burlington County College

Quote:
3.Good school systems – my daughter will attend public school.
I've had 2 kids go to our schools, one is 22 & graduated a few years ago, the other is currently going to Burlington County Institute of Technology. For Country Lakes, the schools are either Criton or Denbo, my daughter went to Denbo, they had a lot of great programs. I was living in Presidential Lakes when my son was in K-5, I actually like the Denbo school better. The teachers were great.

Quote:
4.My biggest thing is I'm scared. I've never been there, aside from a long ago high school field trip and I don't know anything about it. My funds don't allow me to take looksee trips, so I can only go by my online research and advice from my daughter's father. I understand cost-of-living is high, but I think it's lower then what I pay here because the pay level is so low in comparsion. And some posts make it seem like you're going to get mugged, shot, stabbed, killed or beaten to death just by walking out your front door....so yeah I'm a little scared to leave the "safety" of my Florida home.

I'm looking for honest, open-minded suggestions of possible locations, websites, expereinces, anything that will give me a little more guidance as I look.

That’s about all I need to know right now. Thanks in advance!

Julie
Julie, I can understand that you're scared. I know I would be too. I grew up in Union County, we have a business in Somerset County (Watchung). I don't know how affordable North Plainfield is any more. I lived there at one time, also lived in Edison. Price wise, much cheaper down here. My son's friends rent out a house, $500 a month. They are looking at new apartments that are going up in Medford by Burlington County Institute of Technology (BCIT) in Medford. They said the rent will be fairly cheap. Is your daughters father able to come down here to look around?

I can't tell you the number of North Jersey people I see down here. At my daughters dentist I saw people I went to school with from Roselle. When I moved down here 14 years ago, I never realised I'd actually see people I used to know. Everyone says the same thing, they came down here due to cost of living.

Quote:
4. Traffic is horrible, driving is horrible, you have to get on the expressway to go anywhere and they are raising the tolls AGAIN!
Traffic is another thing. I can't tell you how I do not miss commuting from Roselle to Watchung every day. The back roads were as congested as Rt 22. My parents were still living in Union County up until 2005 when they came down here.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 AM

7,734 posts, read 7,251,776 times
>1.With my bachelors in education, I was unable to secure a teaching job because the county is on freeze. So I work as a clerk for $13 hourly or about $27,000 yearly. I am a single mother Ė thatís just not enough. <

NJ pays more but costs more. The further north you go, generally more things pay.... and cost. Finding balance between those 2 factors is what you need to do.

2.Most apartments here go on income and I make too much for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment, but not enough for a 3. So I have to go to unsubsidized complexes, where I pay $890 for a 2bdr, 735 sq ft with no washer/dryer hookups.

Rent is tough. $1500.00 for 2 br may be a bit high tho.

You will get NO improvement there. NJ drivers are MUCH more aggressive and traffic jams are everywhere. N-S highways have tolls. E-W highways are largely "free"

5.The job market here stinks. Iím either overqualified or donít have enough experience, everything here is sales or telemarketing.

NJ definitely is a more diverse economy.

Crime in NJ is very very different. I swear every child humping pervo is in the state of FL. In FL crime in some form is everywhere like a wet blanket over the whole state. In NJ it can be MUCH MUCH worse. (Newark anyone?) And MUCH MUCH better (Most of Morris and Sussex Counties)

NJ has state income tax and FL does not.
Gas is cheaper in NJ
Food is more in NJ
Electric is MUCH more in NJ
Cars are less in NJ
NJ is a blue state and FL is a Red state.
Pace of life is moderately faster in NJ
NJ is unbelievably corrupt.
NJ property taxes are insane. You pay this indirectly through higher rent.
Both seem to have large both foreign and domestic non-native NJ populations.
Restaurants are MUCH better in NJ
NJ has access to NYC which everyone should see at least once in their lifetime. Truly a world city.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 AM

12,256 posts, read 15,787,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>
Crime in NJ is very very different. I swear every child humping pervo is in the state of FL. In FL crime in some form is everywhere like a wet blanket over the whole state. In NJ it can be MUCH MUCH worse. (Newark anyone?) And MUCH MUCH better (Most of Morris and Sussex Counties)
Yeah, I noticed that while browsing throught the posts. Whereas you all have cities that you have i.d as cities and areas with high crime rates, just about all of FL has become dangerous. I was suprised that Orlando moved up three spots on the states crime rate list. There was a report on some television show, not a real news station something on comedy central and they called FL - the pedophile state. That's kinda creepy.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 AM

7,734 posts, read 7,251,776 times
In NJ it is almost like you can (sort of) escape serious crime. In Florida there better be a wall around your neighborhood and that is often not enough.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:43 AM

12,256 posts, read 15,787,109 times
Quote:
In NJ it is almost like you can (sort of) escape serious crime. In Florida there better be a wall around your neighborhood and that is often not enough.
That's why there's so many gated communties now. Although it's not like they're made of concrete - people drive through them all the time.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:00 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,769,780 times
Quote:
On the surface, this would appear to be true. Running the county statistics for larceny, for instance, for 2002:

Florida

New Jersey

Old 12-05-2007, 11:27 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,780,354 times
In Lawrenceville a decent 2 BR cost me $1,415/month...6 years ago.

Sunshine - Check out these links to compare cost of living:

Moderator cut: link

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwi...coll_start.asp

Last edited by Yac; 12-21-2007 at 12:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or