U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2012, 01:52 PM
 
11,643 posts, read 13,474,131 times
Reputation: 15494

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
fine I am not fighting just giving my opinion. Glad your doing good!!! I want people to do good, I dont care if its under Oprah!! We need people to do good financially. This way I wont have to pay for their retirement!! One less I got to support!! If the dems can get everyone a great retirement Im allfor them!

Steve--I am glad that you are more open-minded than some of the other folks who have logged onto this thread recently.
On the topic of "doing well financially", here are some very interesting statistics supplied recently by money manager/financial analyst John Dorfman, regarding the returns of the stock market during the past 60+ years:


Barack Obama, 15.50 percent (annualized through Oct. 19, 2012)

Bill Clinton, 15.18 percent

Dwight D. Eisenhower, 10.92 percent

Gerald Ford, 10.36 percent

Ronald Reagan, 10.22 percent

George H.W. Bush, 9.94 percent

Harry Truman, 8.31 percent

Lyndon Johnson, 7.61 percent

Franklin D. Roosevelt, 7.54 percent

Jimmy Carter, 6.33 percent

John F. Kennedy, 5.40 percent

Richard Nixon, -4.04 percent

George W. Bush,-6.19 percent


So, apparently, the policies of that "Socialist" Barack Obama, have helped many folks who invested wisely to make even more money.

I can report that, according to my Quicken software, my total return over the past 12 months has been 12.12%, and for the preceding 3 years, I averaged 9.62% annually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 35,123,896 times
Reputation: 15935
I think people put way too much stock in exactly how much a president does for the economy and how quickly what they do actually has a visible impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,540 posts, read 16,243,661 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think people put way too much stock in exactly how much a president does for the economy and how quickly what they do actually has a visible impact.
wait...you mean, the President isn't the key to everything? If we cut rax rates tonight, are you sure we won't all wake up with job offers tomorrow?!

Damnit...i need to be able to change my votes from all these conservatives that keep telling me otherwise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,540 posts, read 16,243,661 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Steve--I am glad that you are more open-minded than some of the other folks who have logged onto this thread recently.
On the topic of "doing well financially", here are some very interesting statistics supplied recently by money manager/financial analyst John Dorfman, regarding the returns of the stock market during the past 60+ years:


Barack Obama, 15.50 percent (annualized through Oct. 19, 2012)

Bill Clinton, 15.18 percent

Dwight D. Eisenhower, 10.92 percent

Gerald Ford, 10.36 percent

Ronald Reagan, 10.22 percent

George H.W. Bush, 9.94 percent

Harry Truman, 8.31 percent

Lyndon Johnson, 7.61 percent

Franklin D. Roosevelt, 7.54 percent

Jimmy Carter, 6.33 percent

John F. Kennedy, 5.40 percent

Richard Nixon, -4.04 percent

George W. Bush,-6.19 percent


So, apparently, the policies of that "Socialist" Barack Obama, have helped many folks who invested wisely to make even more money.

I can report that, according to my Quicken software, my total return over the past 12 months has been 12.12%, and for the preceding 3 years, I averaged 9.62% annually.
OK - i have to point out 1 main problem with the numbers attributed to Obama though. Be cautious about overstating his impact on the market (or, any President's, for that matter). Obama had the advantage of starting off with the market deeply depressed.

Don't get me wrong, I give him, and other members of congress, much credit for stopping the decline and starting growth back up again. But, i'm not going to over-credit him for the returns during his Presidency.

It's like all my friends who bragged about their stock accounts during the early 2000s when you could pretty much buy any stock and it would go up. Good job folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 35,123,896 times
Reputation: 15935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
wait...you mean, the President isn't the key to everything? If we cut rax rates tonight, are you sure we won't all wake up with job offers tomorrow?!

Damnit...i need to be able to change my votes from all these conservatives that keep telling me otherwise!
Just like spending more and increasing taxes won't make us wake up with new job offers tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Arizona
4,797 posts, read 4,802,672 times
Reputation: 6402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
wait...you mean, the President isn't the key to everything? If we cut rax rates tonight, are you sure we won't all wake up with job offers tomorrow?!

Damnit...i need to be able to change my votes from all these conservatives that keep telling me otherwise!

Of course the president is the key to everything...just ask Amanda Bynes, she'll tell you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 PM
 
7,327 posts, read 6,024,129 times
Reputation: 6889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Steve--I am glad that you are more open-minded than some of the other folks who have logged onto this thread recently.
On the topic of "doing well financially", here are some very interesting statistics supplied recently by money manager/financial analyst John Dorfman, regarding the returns of the stock market during the past 60+ years:


• Barack Obama, 15.50 percent (annualized through Oct. 19, 2012)

• Bill Clinton, 15.18 percent

• Dwight D. Eisenhower, 10.92 percent

• Gerald Ford, 10.36 percent

• Ronald Reagan, 10.22 percent

• George H.W. Bush, 9.94 percent

• Harry Truman, 8.31 percent

• Lyndon Johnson, 7.61 percent

• Franklin D. Roosevelt, 7.54 percent

• Jimmy Carter, 6.33 percent

• John F. Kennedy, 5.40 percent

• Richard Nixon, -4.04 percent

• George W. Bush,-6.19 percent


So, apparently, the policies of that "Socialist" Barack Obama, have helped many folks who invested wisely to make even more money.

I can report that, according to my Quicken software, my total return over the past 12 months has been 12.12%, and for the preceding 3 years, I averaged 9.62% annually.
Good for you.

You don't want to invest in anything that isn't going to give you at least a 10% ROR.

I pulled everything out, under Obama and his BS, including the 529's I had set up for my kids, and am making over a 30% return NOW as opposed to seeing my investments go below what I initially invested - and trying to catch up. And my funds were all over the place when it came to risk. Kinda hard to see your hard earned money lost b/c Obama, the fool he is, bowed to some Muslim guy. Or Obama opens his mouth on any given day of the week.


But you have to actually work for what I invested my monies in: real estate rental properties. It's a full time job and too many folks want their 9-5 plus commute, couple of weeks of paid vacations, and their weekends off....and the market to win them a landfall and someone to blame when they get wiped out.

Doesn't work that way when you rely on yourself as opposed to someone else or some other "entity" to make money for you.

Too many lazy asses in America today.

Lot's more to come in the next 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,540 posts, read 16,243,661 times
Reputation: 3669
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just like spending more and increasing taxes won't make us wake up with new job offers tomorrow.
nope - it won't. but stimulus is meant to save jobs - if that's what you're referring to. increasing taxes is meant to have us actually pay for the services our government renders. whether you agree with those services or not.

and actually - if NJ announced it was building the tunnel this evening - planning could very possibly begin tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top