U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 PM

10,618 posts, read 15,229,854 times

Advertisements

Ugh, I managed to have no trees down during Sandy (my house is surrounded by trees and I've had issues before)... but the ice storm last year brought down several huge branches that caused damage to my car and house. Hope there weren't any weakened by Sandy that are waiting to fall due to heavy snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,298,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Athena??? They are naming nor'easters now??
It's the Weather Channel's new stupid conceit. They names are not official (unlike hurricanes, which are officially named by the National Hurricane Center) and are entirely a publicity stunt by TWC.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM

26,582 posts, read 49,374,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Ugh, I managed to have no trees down during Sandy (my house is surrounded by trees and I've had issues before)... but the ice storm last year brought down several huge branches that caused damage to my car and house. Hope there weren't any weakened by Sandy that are waiting to fall due to heavy snow.
Good luck!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM

43,285 posts, read 42,853,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Be careful going home.
Thanks, it was messy but I just drove carefully. It was kind of cool seeing a big plane appearing out of a low cloud in front of me on the Turnpike. Also, stopped at the Thomas Edison rest stop, where last week the gas lines were backed up the ramps onto the Turnpike itself. There were two cars ahead of me.

Then I continued on my merry way and finally made it home to find that my power is out again.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM

497 posts, read 1,148,379 times
Power went out on my block one hour ago. Deja'vu. Most of the town seems to be ok though. Now up north trying to get to my uncle's driveway in this snow. Whee.... o_o.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 PM

My power came back on. I flipped on my front porch light and said WHOA. Lots more snow since I came home.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 PM

18,529 posts, read 17,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I found out tonight that there are. Well, it was more than a branch. A large multi branched section fell off of the neighbor's massive oak taking out two fence panels and impressively, takes up a substantial portion of my side yard. Thankfully, it didn't hit the house.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:15 AM

26,862 posts, read 27,285,991 times
PSEG is reporting 120,000 customers without power. Among them 40,000 customers that lost power due to the current storm after their power was restored in the aftermath of Sandy.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My power came back on. I flipped on my front porch light and said WHOA. Lots more snow since I came home.
And then the power went out again and stayed out until about 5:20 this morning. I was in the shower, with the candles in the bathroom burning, of course, my coffee, which is water and scoops of coffee mixed together, simmering on the stove top, and I heard the beep beep beep that my stove makes (the timer thing) when the power comes back on. I quickly plugged in my phone, expecting the power to go back out right away, but it was still on at 6:30 when I left the house.

Had about six inches of snow on my car. I have to say, it was beautiful driving up the Parkway. Very scenic with the snow on the branches of the trees and on the marsh grasses.

Hope to hell it all melts by the time I go home, too.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 AM

12,284 posts, read 29,215,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And then the power went out again and stayed out until about 5:20 this morning. I was in the shower, with the candles in the bathroom burning, of course, my coffee, which is water and scoops of coffee mixed together, simmering on the stove top, and I heard the beep beep beep that my stove makes (the timer thing) when the power comes back on. I quickly plugged in my phone, expecting the power to go back out right away, but it was still on at 6:30 when I left the house.

Had about six inches of snow on my car. I have to say, it was beautiful driving up the Parkway. Very scenic with the snow on the branches of the trees and on the marsh grasses.

Hope to hell it all melts by the time I go home, too.
thank god, you've been through enough. we didn't get much snow in NW Jersey (about 1.5 by me). it is pretty though. I think a lot will be melted by the time you come home.

hopefully this is IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey