Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:52 AM

224 posts, read 247,168 times

Advertisements

I am in Union Township I wanted to know if anyone in Union county has been successful with tax appeals? But really I want to know if I try to appeal will it set a red flag and make them check and later raise in the immediate future? I did see that some people are paying about 1000 less than I am living on the same block
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
I did in Union County, but I live in a town that pays a lot more in taxes than Union Township. If someone is willing to do all of the work for a cut of the savings, then let them do it. Cant cost you more than doing nothing

Old 12-02-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I did in Union County, but I live in a town that pays a lot more in taxes than Union Township. If someone is willing to do all of the work for a cut of the savings, then let them do it. Cant cost you more than doing nothing
So you got a lawyer to do it? If so how much? Thanks

Old 12-09-2016, 12:54 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbondone View Post
So you got a lawyer to do it? If so how much? Thanks
I had a weird situation and someone else "paid" for it. But basically they charge you a percent of the money they save you. Sometimes 1 year's saving.

BUT a lot of Union County is under orders to do their own reval. Maybe your town is one and it would be a waste to do it now

Old 12-11-2016, 08:20 AM

ok I'll check to see thanks

Old 12-11-2016, 11:05 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
The process is actually pretty easy. I did it in essex county myself. If you call the tax assessors office they will tell you what you need to do. In my case i didnt even have to go to court. They called and settled over the phone.

New Jersey Property Tax Appeals – A Quick Guide | David Reinherz.com

Old 12-11-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
The process is actually pretty easy. I did it in essex county myself. If you call the tax assessors office they will tell you what you need to do. In my case i didnt even have to go to court. They called and settled over the phone.

New Jersey Property Tax Appeals – A Quick Guide | David Reinherz.com
Thanks I will give it a try tomorrow.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:40 AM

Just called they gave me a site amwith instructions the earliest to submit is Feb 1st. Someone told me give it in that first month if you can the first week.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:26 AM

Can they raise taxes even hire if it was just raised? The previous owner was paying around 1300 less than what I am paying a year. How does it go up that much? If I try to appeal can they say hey you just bought this and raise it again? I've heard they raise taxes some times when there's a new owner. Or do you think this is the raised taxes from being new owner? Thanks

Old 12-16-2016, 10:33 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Generally speaking, yes they can. Typically, townwide reassessments are made every few years. How often is different for every town. This may increase or decrease your property taxes. Buying a house doesnt trigger a reassessment as far as i know but making improvements on a home for example may. I dont believe they raise taxes when there is a new owner but often when the yearly Tax Determination is done your taxes will go up then as well. Always assume they will since, well, they always do in NJ.

From what i have read and heard, it is always good practice to appeal your property taxes if you can. There is no downside. Some people say many towns will raise the taxes high in anticipation of a certain percentage of residents appealing them.

More info: http://finance.zacks.com/property-ta...rsey-7854.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: