Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,806 times

Advertisements

I was travelling along Amboy Ave, in Woodbridge, NJ, also known as Route 35, when I came across this Latin-American restaurant called Surrender Cafe. The prices are ridiculously cheap, $9 for a full plate of rice, beans, and meat, enough for two people.

Then, for $5, I had dessert which consisted of one white oreo cookie, and one black, both with walnuts inside, with chocolate syrup, and vanilla ice cream. Deliciously sumptuous. The staff is very friendly, it is being managed by two young ladies, however, if you are looking for food on the spot, this is not the place. The food is cooked for you, and takes about 1/2 hour, but you get free plantains with salsa, to hold you over....!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I was travelling along Amboy Ave, in Woodbridge, NJ, also known as Route 35, when I came across this Latin-American restaurant called Surrender Cafe. The prices are ridiculously cheap, $9 for a full plate of rice, beans, and meat, enough for two people.

Then, for $5, I had dessert which consisted of one white oreo cookie, and one black, both with walnuts inside, with chocolate syrup, and vanilla ice cream. Deliciously sumptuous. The staff is very friendly, it is being managed by two young ladies, however, if you are looking for food on the spot, this is not the place. The food is cooked for you, and takes about 1/2 hour, but you get free plantains with salsa, to hold you over....!
Sounds like my kind of place!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:53 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Sounds great. Gotta check it out after the hurricanes and noreasters die down.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:34 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post

That does sound really good!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
One please.

What's the adult soda situation?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I will have to check this out a bit more but this sounds awesome. I have a feeling the place will be swamped with city-data folks!
(when I have a moment i will checking the hours, and also to see if there are any other comments anywhere)

Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
^^^Maybe we could have a City-Data NJ Forum dinner out. We can all wear name tags with our CD screen names!

Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Well, to update you all. We went there today for a late lunch/early dinner. I had checked online and gotten an idea of other reviews as well as the menu. It was really good- and we were expecting the service to be on the poor side but it was actually fine. It is a leisurely place, it was not very busy when we were there (they said they are busiest at around 7 but I dont think you have to wait, its just more crowded). The food was really good, ample portions,very reasonable prices. I would definitely go back again. The waiter we had said that they do cook everything to order so it took a little bit but he brought over plantain chips and some kind of salsa dip (not sure what it was called but it was great-- with cilantro and garlic and something else) to nibble on. There was no language problem at all, which I think someone had mentioned in one of the reviews I read.
All in all, I would most definitely go back. Thank you for sharing this

Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,806 times
Default Metuchen Inn

Travelling on Route 27, I stopped at the "newly managed and redecorated," Metuchen Inn, in Metuchen. It used to be a French Restaurant, but now is a Cosmopolitan one, owned by folks from NYC, the prices, and atmosphere are a bit more sophisticate, but the food is SUPERB......... real good quality food.

I am a connoisseur of fine dinning, as well as not so fine, and I can tell you that the meat balls and polenta, (corn meal,) appetizer were simply delicious, as well as the Crab cakes. The prices are in the $10 to $15 for appetizers, and $22 to $30 for an entree. What I like about this restaurant is that it is not 100% Italian food, but a combination of different ones. And I like diversity......

The bar stocks a myriad of wines, imported as well as domestics. This is a real nice place for a date......if you seat towards the opposite part of the bar, it can be very cozy......

Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
+1 for the Metuchen Inn. VERY nice since the remodel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey