U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 PM

26 posts, read 55,979 times

Advertisements

I have Optimum Online, TV and Voice with unlimited international 1year package, and the one year is over ..now they want to increase my bill by about $50 dollars and cancel the international calling, they offered me $20 for 250 minutes international calling ... any tips to get them to give me a better deal? also my brother is moving, if i switch the account to my name can i get a new-customer deal? can disabled people or senior citizens get a discount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,283,187 times
Have you tried threatening to cancel and switch to FiOS or a satellite provider?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 PM

26 posts, read 55,979 times
I did ...she said "OK" :'(

Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 AM

328 posts, read 827,074 times
Wow... they have some of the worst customer service people. I'd call and cancel for a couple weeks out and see if they offer you something before they actually disconnect you. In the meantime, look into Fios, vonage and satellite for deals. The phone number is attached to your brother's name so you won't be able to keep the phone number. I guess you could cancel and resubscribe in your name to try to get a better deal. I would pose as your brother to cancel (they don't ask anything personal about accounts). The call back as yourself to resub.

When my husband was deployed, I switched to them from fios because it was going to save me $50/month. They came and installed everything. I called a week later to set up voicemail. They REFUSED to help me because the account was in my husband's name (even though they came and installed it without his permission and billed us). I tried offering them my power of attorney and they said that wasn't good enough (talk about idiotic; I could buy and sell a house with a POA). I finally had my friend's husband call and claim to be my husband. They gave him the password right on the phone without verifying ANYTHING.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM

757 posts, read 1,033,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSam View Post
they offered me $20 for 250 minutes international calling
My mom uses the international calling offered by OneSuite.com
The hassle is that you have to dial OneSuite's local number then the international number, but just program the OneSuite number in your phone.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM

4,810 posts, read 4,824,233 times
I would try calling back again and threatening to cancel. Just becuase one CSR wasn't interested in keeping your business might not mean they all won't. Be polite but firm. You can also ask if they have a Customer Retention dept and try talking to them if they do.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 AM

3,257 posts, read 11,497,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Have you tried threatening to cancel and switch to FiOS or a satellite provider?
I don't know if Cablevision is falling for those tactics anymore. I had a similar situation last year only it was with Verizon. The bill was scheduled to increase after my 2 year contract so I called and told them I was going to cable. Verizon didn't offer me anything to stay and I even talked to 1 rep and she said Verizon would not take me back as a new customer after a couple of months. I went as far as scheduling a cancellation date thinking they would think that I was really serious. They told me when the Cablevision service person was at my home to transfer service he'll contact Verizon so they can do whatever they needed to do to release my phone number and when that was done they would be able to calculate my final bill. They called my bluff!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,228,995 times
I've had MUCH better rates using a calling card/plan (.08/min [$20/250min] from cablevision VS .013/min through keepcalling.com [yes that's 1.3cents] depending on the country you are calling) AND I can call from my cell using friends and family and not have it count towards my included minutes on my cell.

FIOS is MUCH better/faster for internet but if its no available in your area, There is nothing better than comcast/cablevision.

As for TV, meh they are all the same IMO. I would go with whoever is cheapest at the moment. Tho, I DO like News12.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 AM

99 posts, read 398,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSam View Post
I did ...she said "OK" :'(
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I would try calling back again and threatening to cancel. Just becuase one CSR wasn't interested in keeping your business might not mean they all won't. Be polite but firm. You can also ask if they have a Customer Retention dept and try talking to them if they do.
I have some friends who used to do this a lot. Now they aren't. Honestly, I've always thought this was a stupid way to save money. The customer is putting themselves through a lot of time and effort every time the promotional deal approaches its end-date.

Then you have to put yourself in the utilities place: Do you really think they don't know customers have been doing this to try to score better deals? Do you really think you are dropping a big bomb on them when you threaten to take your business to a competitor?

I have some bad news for you: First, the cable and telco companies do not harbor the Hatfields and McCoys relationship many people think they do. On many issues they work together, especially when lobbying Big Brother on different issues that will allow them to maximize their service to their customers (I.O.W. "Raise their customers' bills") Second, customer service records are retained electronically for several years and are available to almost any customer service representative. They can see the interactions you've had. If they see threats to cancel service every one to two years, they KNOW what you're doing and they WILL call your bluff, as they did with exhdo1 who I will get to next...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I don't know if Cablevision is falling for those tactics anymore. I had a similar situation last year only it was with Verizon. The bill was scheduled to increase after my 2 year contract so I called and told them I was going to cable. Verizon didn't offer me anything to stay and I even talked to 1 rep and she said Verizon would not take me back as a new customer after a couple of months. I went as far as scheduling a cancellation date thinking they would think that I was really serious. They told me when the Cablevision service person was at my home to transfer service he'll contact Verizon so they can do whatever they needed to do to release my phone number and when that was done they would be able to calculate my final bill. They called my bluff!
Cable companies aren't falling for it. Telephone companies aren't falling for it. And it's not even because the "cancel threat" attempts are so commonplace, actual service prices are so high, or these companies are changing their policies. It isn't even because their profits have such wide margins that a handful of cancellations won't even touch let alone ding their bottom line.

Read carefully when I tell you WHY this tactic isn't working anymore. Ready? Sit down, and READ CAREFULLY...

The cable companies and the telephone companies KNOW MOST CUSTOMERS CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT THEIR SERVICES.

I'll repeat it in case you didn't catch it the first time...

THE CABLE COMPANIES AND THE TELEPHONE COMPANIES KNOW MOST CUSTOMERS CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT THEIR SERVICES.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 AM

198 posts, read 329,289 times
With Cablevision's upcoming ludicrous policy of charging everyone $7 per month per TV for the stupid cable boxes required for every TV, it might be time to switch anyway.

My mother had me go to Cablevision and get seven of the cable boxes that would be "free until the end of the year" and I knew there had to be some sort of monthly charge eventually. Since we have seven TVs in our house, it would cost us roughly an extra $400/yr just to get the cable we already pay for to work. Which is to say nothing of finding out where to put these ridiculous boxes for certain TVs, like the one in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey