U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 PM

6,260 posts, read 6,273,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I would like to ask you a question of which I did before, but did not get a respond.

State of New Jersey observes both Good Friday and Christmas Day as a holiday. For or against it?
They are both Christian holidays.

We could also add New Year's Day, since it's a holiday and first day of the Christian/Gregorian calendar based on approx. year of Christ' birth.
This might be purely selfish, but I can't get enough holidays. I'm also forgiving of the concept because nobody is forced to do anything in particular on any of the various holidays. If a proclamation is made, and the people decide to go along with it and celebrate in whatever way they freely determine to be meaningful and appropriate, then I am fine with it.

Which brings up Veterans Day! To all of those who have fought and died, or fought and lived, in order that we may speak freely, a heartfelt THANK YOU! Especially including my dad who was a paratrooper in World War II. How in hell did they ever find guys willing to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM

5,082 posts, read 9,261,636 times
Default I am very mad, sad, anxious, depressed, worried, and shocked that they have lifted the blue laws

Get a life.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM

7,327 posts, read 6,024,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Really? Many of us have lived there for several decades. There are some that need to live in Bergen County due to work, schools, proximity to NYC, etc.

Sunday is the day when least amount of people work anywhere. Traffic is only one of the reason of supporting the blue laws.
What was the original reason for instituting Blue Laws in Bergen County? Was it traffic?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 PM

12,381 posts, read 21,041,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
What was the original reason for instituting Blue Laws in Bergen County? Was it traffic?
For the first decade or 2 it was religious then it shifted to traffic which was getting worse and worse.....they were going to lift them once the transit and highway upgrades were done but those are all delayed....due to typical county NIMBYS.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 PM

198 posts, read 328,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
For the first decade or 2 it was religious then it shifted to traffic which was getting worse and worse.....they were going to lift them once the transit and highway upgrades were done but those are all delayed....due to typical county NIMBYS.
Has there been any sort of modern research to asses the changes it would cause in traffic patterns? I hate taking "common sense" as a source, it's very unreliable.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
Has there been any sort of modern research to asses the changes it would cause in traffic patterns? I hate taking "common sense" as a source, it's very unreliable.
Yes , 50,000 use the bus system to go to the Malls Already either NJT or private , the New lines would target congestion along Route 4 , 17 , US 1 /9 and along certain County roads. The Bergen - Passaic Light Rail would receive between 9-12,000 daily riders which doesn't sound like alot but these are drivers who would normally clog Route 4 commuting to Paterson or Hackensack both have plans to build up along the line... The Northern Branch Light Rail would run from North Bergen Transit Center to Teanfly and would service growing communities in Leonia , Englewood , and Palisade Park....both growing denser creating massive traffic nightmares to Route 1/9 , this line would be used by an estimated 60,000 daily riders. The last New Rail line would run from Hoboken to Haverstraw or Newburgh and service a growing part of Bergen and Rockland County along with the Getaway part of the Hudson Valley this line would receive between 45 & 50,000 daily riders. The Northwest Rail link would run from Sparta or Butler to Hawthrone and would service the Route 23 , I-287 and Route 208 corridors which are straining due to population growth and limited transit options ridership wouldn't be that high closer to 6,000 a day. The last Rail Project would upgrade the Pascack Valley line by Double tracking it up to the New Bridge Landing station , high level platforming Wood-Ridge , Teterboro , Essex Street , Anderson and New Bridge Landing stations , the double tracking would come safety improvements and bi-direction service every 15-20mins. The upgrade would allow for the proposed Teterboro , Hackensack and New Bridge landing developments to proceed with little traffic impact. The Route 4 & Route 17 busways would be used by an estimated 70,000 a day on top of the 50,000 who use the mall shuttles. Currently Transit is used by 6500 on the Pascack Valley line , 15,000 on the Main line and another 85,000 on NJT for commuting into the city. These improvements should be done by 2035.

Bergen - Passaic Rail Improvements

Bergen - Passaic LRT
Hawthorne Transit Center
5th Street - Paterson
Lafayette Street - Paterson
Madison Ave - Paterson
20th Ave - Paterson
Vreeland Ave - Paterson
Boulevard - Paterson
Midland Ave - Saddle Brook
Mayhill Street -Saddle Brook
Maywood Ave - Maywood
American Legion Dr - Hackensack
Main Street - Hackensack
Munn Ave - Bogota
Ridgefield Park

Hudson Bergen Light Rail
Tenafly North
Tenafly Town Center
Englewood Hospital
Englewood Town Center
Englewood Route 4
Leonia
Palisades Park
Ridgefield
91st Street

Tonnelle Avenue
Bergenline Avenue
Port Imperial
Lincoln Harbor
North Hoboken
9th / Congress
2nd Street
Grove Street / 18th Street
Hoboken Terminal
Pavonia-Newport
Harsimus Cove
Harborside Financial Center
Exchange Place
Essex Street
Marin Boulevard
Jersey Ave
Liberty State Park
Split > Garfield Avenue , Martin Luther King Drive , West Side Avenue , Bayfront
Canal Crossing
Richard Street
Danforth Avenue
45th Street
34th Street
22nd Street
8th Street

West Shore line
Hoboken Terminal
Secaucus Road - Jersey City Heights
North Bergen Transit Center (Tonnelle Ave)
Vince Lombradi Park & Ride
Ridgefield Park
Cedar Lane - Teaneck
West Englewood
Bergenfield
Haworth
Harrington Park
Tappan
Blauvelt
Valley Cottage
Congers
Haverstraw
Stony Point
Bear Mountain
Highland Falls
West Point
Cornwall on Hudson
Newburgh

Pascack Valley line
Hoboken Terminal
Secaucus JCT
Wood-Ridge < Upgraded
Teterboro < Upgraded
Essex Street - Hackensack < Upgraded
Anderson Street - Hackensack < Upgraded
New Bridge Landing < Upgraded
River Edge
Oradell
Emerson
Westwood
Hillsdale
Woodcliff Lake
Park Ridge
Montvale
Pearl River
Pfizer Plant (Employees Only)
Nanuet
Spring Valley
Monsey
Airmont
East Suffern
Hillburn

Northwest Rail link
Sparta
Ogdenburg
Newfoundland
Butler
Pompton Lakes
Oakland
Wyckoff
Midland Park

Hawthrone Transit Center
North Paterson
Paterson
South Paterson
Clifton
Passaic
Delawanna
Lyndhurst
Kingsland
Secaucus JCT
Hoboken

Main Line
Hoboken
Secaucus JCT
Kingsland
Lyndhurst
Delawanna
Passaic
Clifton
South Paterson
Paterson
North Paterson
Hawthorne Transit Center
Glen Rock
Ridgewood
Ho-Ho-Kus
Waldwick
Allendale
Ramsey-Main St.
Ramsey-Route 17
Mahwah
Suffern
Hillburn

Bergen line
Hoboken Terminal
Secaucus JCT
Rutherford
Wesmont
Garfield
Plaunderville
Broadway - Fair Lawn
Radburn - Fair Lawn
Glen Rock Boro Hall
Ridgewood
Ho-Ho-Kus
Waldwick
Allendale
Ramsey-Main St.
Ramsey-Route 17
Mahwah
Suffern
Hillburn

Kingsland Branch
Hillburn
Suffern
Mahwah
Ramsey Route 17
Ramsey Main Street
Allendale
Waldwick
Ho-Ho-Kus
Ridgewood
Glenrock
Hawthrone
North Paterson
Paterson
South Paterson
Clifton
Passaic
Delawanna
Lyndhurst
Kingsland
North Arlington
Kearny
Harrison East

Secaucus JCT
New York Penn Station

Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 PM

198 posts, read 328,432 times
That all seems to deal with public transit utilization. I'd consider a move that gets people out of cars and into public transit a good one from a traffic perspective. I also have no idea where you're getting the numbers for independent analysis.

It's not that I don't trust your numbers, but I don't trust your numbers.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
That all seems to deal with public transit utilization. I'd consider a move that gets people out of cars and into public transit a good one from a traffic perspective. I also have no idea where you're getting the numbers for independent analysis.

It's not that I don't trust your numbers, but I don't trust your numbers.
My numbers are from the APTA numbers which are counted on a quarterly basis and the future ridership estimates were done by NJT or the RPA....and county. I tend to believe the county and RPA over NJT.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:51 AM

605 posts, read 1,614,999 times
Maybe Paramus should have never allowed for so much commercial zoning on roads that obviously cannot handle the traffic.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 AM

315 posts, read 413,725 times
My sister goes to a college up there and I am constantly amazed at the volume of traffic up there when I visit. But, it is a major inconvenience that these "Blue Laws" exist, since most of the time I can only visit on sundays. We can't even go for a nice little shopping spree. You cannot sit there and tell me ALL business owners actually like the Blue Laws, I highly doubt that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey