U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM

198 posts, read 328,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It's sad that you think money is more important that quality of life, having a day of rest. Very selfish!
I think for most people the idea isn't about forcing people to work more, but giving companies and shoppers more flexibility. I might be a devout Jew who wishes to be at rest on Saturdays, not allowing me to open on Sundays is very taxing and doesn't allow me to have my rest when I want/need it. Or maybe I decide Monday will be my day of rest. Etc. The decision to make it Sunday had nothing to do with traffic and everything to do with Jesus.

I'm all for improved work/life balance in the U.S., I wish we had stronger private sector unions to ensure that stayed protected, but Blue Laws are a separate issue.

Last edited by BrnTmr4Brkfst; 11-10-2012 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,062,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think that it's very ironic that you're calling other people selfish when you're the one who made a post protesting temporary policy to help families who lost their homes and everything their own in a disaster. You are not in a reasonable position to call others selfish.
Sorry, but we are the ones' who live here and pay the property taxes. Like I said before, I'm OK if necessary recovery places like Home Depot, Lowe's & Target were allowed to open (Not only for few hours, I would be OK even for 24 hours) but not unnecessary places like Toys store, Jewelry, and retailers.

Most parking lots at the local malls are closed for the construction trucks parking there over the weekend. Today, half of Garden State Plaza Malls were closed, and I spoke with a Bergen County Police about why they are taken when people are shopping, and told me to come back on Monday instead.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM

8,671 posts, read 11,931,538 times
Quote:
Sorry, but we are the ones' who live here and pay the property taxes.
Never heard of a legal business which didn't pay tax.

Quote:
Like I said before, I'm OK if necessary recovery places like Home Depot, Lowe's & Target were allowed to open (Not only for few hours, I would be OK even for 24 hours) but not unnecessary places like Toys store, Jewelry, and retailers.
Fortunately, you're not king.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
I think for most people the idea isn't about forcing people to work more, but giving companies and shoppers more flexibility. I might be a devout Jew who wishes to be at rest on Saturdays, not allowing me to open on Sundays is very taxing and doesn't allow me to have my rest when I want/need it. Or maybe I decide Monday will be my day of rest. Etc. The decision to make it Sunday had nothing to do with traffic and everything to do with Jesus.

I'm all for improved work/life balance in the U.S., I wish we had stronger private sector unions to ensure that stayed protected, but Blue Laws are a separate issue.
Don't get me wrong - I love the Jews, and numerous of my friends are Jews, including my uncle's wife. Why is the blame always "What about the Jews". How come nobody says "What about the Muslims" or "What about the Hindus". Jews are still a minority in Bergen County, and New Jersey in general. I know the owners of Century 21.... They love the blue laws just the same reason as we do - and they are all Jews.

Anyways back to your question. If you're an observant Jew and keep the Sabbath... Lucky you! Now you get two day weekend without worrying about any competition Keep in mind that many local businesses owned by Jews in some towns are permitted to be open on Sundays, but they cannot sell clothes, electronic, and certain other things.

Sorry, but don't bring Jesus to this "Blue Law". Jesus was a Jewish, and observed the Sabbath on Saturday just like Jews do today. Christians are allowed to work on Sundays, otherwise most of America would have been shut down. It has to do with traffic, and other things I mentioned 10 times before here.

I agree with you regards to more labor laws protecting work/life balance like they do in other industrial countries... but you guys hate labor laws!!!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 PM

24,511 posts, read 31,086,606 times
Quote:
Sorry, but we are the ones' who live here and pay the property taxes.
My point exactly. In a time of crisis, you're worried about yourself. You are in no reasonable position to call others selfish.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Fortunately, you're not king.
Never said I was. This is all based on my opinion, the mayor of Paramus, and most residents of Bergen County. We are all entitled to our opinion, that's why we have forums like this, and freedom of speech.

Have a nice weekend!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 PM

7,327 posts, read 6,024,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Agreed. I know if I were a retail business owner I would not be pleased about having no choice but to be closed on Sunday. That's an entire day of lost revenue.
Especially when major holidays fall on a Monday every few years, such as Christmas or Fourth of July.

Basically Bergen County contributes nothing or very little to the sales tax pot 52 days out of a year compared to others. On purpose. Is that taken in to account when distributing state funds to the county or towns in it?

Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 PM

605 posts, read 1,614,999 times
Blue laws, in general, are based on the notion that god rested on the seventh day and that all the good Christians should go to church. The owners of century 21 don't actually work at century 21. Take a look at the demographics of retail workers in the area. They aren't orthodox Jews.

Nunnor.....face it....you don't want to go to work tomorrow. Some people would kill for a job and the opportunity to make a living. Your Jesus quote in your status is seriously tarnishing your reputation. Do you have a Jesus fish to match on your car?

Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 PM

605 posts, read 1,614,999 times
Quote:
It's sad that you think money is more important that quality of life, having a day of rest. Very selfish!
You won't have any competition anyway with any other store. You will still make more money in 6 days than any other retail store outside Bergen County due to high demand.
You are insanely entertaining in an absurd kind of way. Thanks for providing me with some entertainment!

How old are you? I sense that you are very young, naive, and immature in your thinking.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 PM

7,327 posts, read 6,024,129 times
Quote:
Sorry, but we are the ones' who live here and pay the property taxes. Like I said before, I'm OK if necessary recovery places like Home Depot, Lowe's & Target were allowed to open (Not only for few hours, I would be OK even for 24 hours) but not unnecessary places like Toys store, Jewelry, and retailers.
Who is to say what is or isn't necessary to folks during this time? You said in your OP;

Quote:
so people can get into retail stores and buy necessary items that they need, or have lost, due to the storm.
Maybe some people lost things they don't want to or can't replace at Target/Lowe's/Home Depot.

I went out to a toy store that had power 2x when we had no power. People were there buying diapers and formula b/c the grocery store didn't have power and neither did a lot of other stores.

Why have to waste gas to drive elsewhere if the retailers in Bergen County could easily open for ONE lousy day?

Quote:
Most parking lots at the local malls are closed for the construction trucks parking there over the weekend. Today, half of Garden State Plaza Malls were closed, and I spoke with a Bergen County Police about why they are taken when people are shopping, and told me to come back on Monday instead.
I don't understand the problem with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey