U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM

42 posts, read 24,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It's not the government that is involved in it. It's the resident that are for it, and make sure to vote for politicians that are strongly supporting the blue laws for very good reasons.
No, it is the government that is involved in it. It's my understanding that businesses get fined for violating blue laws. Am I wrong? That sounds a whole lot like government.

Again, if the residents are so for it, why don't they do it individually and not through the government forcing you to do so? People enjoy saying how corrupt the government is, yet they're sure glad to give them more power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM

3,986 posts, read 5,194,731 times
The laws may be anachronistic, but when I lived in the area and was driving around on Sundays I thought it was great. You should see it on Saturdays in the coming weeks before Christmas. You'd be better off on a skateboard with the traffic.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 PM

3,986 posts, read 5,194,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Especially when major holidays fall on a Monday every few years, such as Christmas or Fourth of July.

Basically Bergen County contributes nothing or very little to the sales tax pot 52 days out of a year compared to others. On purpose. Is that taken in to account when distributing state funds to the county or towns in it?
It matters but not as much as you think. When I worked retail in Paramus, the story that I heard is that EVERY company in the country fought to get a presence there, even knowing they'd be closed on Sundays. The malls & stores are among the most profitable in the country with several million people within an hour's drive.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:35 PM

605 posts, read 1,614,999 times
Nunnor has been quiet....guess he's working today. Ohhhh...the horror!

Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,062,352 times
Okay people..... I've been driving on all of Rt 4 and Rt 17 today, and been to Bergen Town Center, Riverside Sq. Mall and Garden State Plaza Mall (Did not go to Paramus Park Mall though)

Nearly half of the stores at Garden State Plaza (Including all department stores, Apple Store, Jewelry, and plenty of small and big stores) remained CLOSED.

At Bergen Town Center, around 30% of the stores remained CLOSED. Very few employees working for those stores that were open.

Stores on Rt 4 and Rt 17 - around 70% remained CLOSED.

Target in Hackensack had only 2 registers open, and I spoke with their manager and said that nobody wanted to work, including him, but he had to and said he will never open his store again on Sunday because it was very quiet and waste of electricity and payroll.

Those were all permitted to be open for today, but decided to remain closed.

May God Bless All of Those stores that stood for quality of life and decided to still be CLOSED

I spoke with many police officers, mall security, and some workers that were working.... Guess what! They were all against being open today, and said it sucks.

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-12-2012 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: no notes to mods in forums - send DM only!

Old 11-11-2012, 04:27 PM

8,411 posts, read 13,951,174 times
So many of the stores did use there choice to stay close.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,278,087 times
Well that changes everything! My mind is surely changed now!

Oh wait, no it isn't. You spoke to a few lazy rent-a-cops and somehow that is grounds to state that "most people are against opening on Sundays, and working on Sundays."

Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 PM

605 posts, read 1,614,999 times
People who are accustomed to not work on Sundays obviously don't want to work on Sundays. They could have other jobs, familial commitments, etc. The ENTIRE point is that businesses should have the option to be open, not forced by a government mandate that says you can't sell clothes on a Sunday. It is archaic.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 PM

24,511 posts, read 31,086,606 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Is it acceptable to inconvenience a subset of people in order to assist people who lost their homes, family, jobs, businesses, and everything they had get their lives back together?

Stance 1
People in Bergen County (if the OP is a fair representative) feels that it is an absurd idea. Businesses should not have the choice in whether they want to be open on a Sunday to help recover from the disaster and residents of the county should not be inconvenienced with outsider traffic. This stance shows how selfish people are.

Stance 2
Everyone should be allowed to help in any way they choose and the blue laws should be temporarily suspended to allow a retail business to participate in the rebuilding efforts of the state. We should put our petty issues aside and come together as a state and work together. This stance shows how caring people are.

Stance 3
Blue laws restrict freedom of choice and should be abolished. Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-12-2012 at 10:39 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,278,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
People who are accustomed to not work on Sundays obviously don't want to work on Sundays. They could have other jobs, familial commitments, etc. The ENTIRE point is that businesses should have the option to be open, not forced by a government mandate that says you can't sell clothes on a Sunday. It is archaic.
^ This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey