U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM

6,272 posts, read 6,339,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
As for our mayor, he just doesn't want to see people shopping at stores like Louis Vuitton on a Sunday. He's open towards stores selling necessities like food and hardware supplies, but expensive brand clothing? Anyone dying to get one can go to the other Jersey malls.
Unacceptable. I do not recognize the right of a local tyrant to exert his irrational will over others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:02 AM

500 posts, read 1,155,164 times
^ Look, I understand your upsetness as well as others. However, a closed Lowe's on a Sunday, for example, doesn't deter us. We just go up to Paterson for Lowe's. We don't complain one bit about it.

Hence, anything he does/orders doesn't affect the Paramus residents' quality of life so much since we're use to it. If you have an issue with it, I simply recommend you to go with the flow.

Meanwhile, a lot of people are cheering for our mayor:

Collected from Patch and nj.com (/SL):
Quote:
steve 7:40 am on Thursday, November 8, 2012
Paramus needs the blue laws very bad to cover the fact that over many years the local government has allowed zoning with no regard for quality of life e.g., little open land. Poor planning and lack of preservation of what was once a beautiful town is now one big traffic mess.
Quote:
Richard Zuendt

7:58 am on Thursday, November 8, 2012
Way to go mayor! You tell Chris "Fat Boy Rino" Christie and the fem-nazi Donovan to take that executive order and shove it up their fat butts.
Quote:
Joseph Joyce
10:06 am on Thursday, November 8, 2012

Very impressed with the mayor.
Quote:

bergenborn

Is the governor and Ms Donovan going to foot the bill for the costs that would be a result of that edict? The police and fire are not the only additional financial burden that would be FORCED upon the Paramus taxpayers because there is road repair, electricity (where available), insurance etc that would be a direct cost to the Paramus taxpayers as a result of the "lift" ordered by the Mendham resident and Ms Donovan. The inconvenience caused, along with the additional costs, are forced upon taxpayers WHO HAVE ALSO SUFFERED LOSS due to the storm! There are six days to shop available. There are weather related problems every year and the world survives without Sunday shoppers in Paramus. It's not like the rest of the world is closed on Sundays and they can't go elsewhere. Give Paramus a break from the traffic and cost burden they suffer tenfold every year during the holiday shopping. Taxation is supposed to fair and equally applied - if they want Paramus open on Sundays let them pay for the costs incurred by Paramus taxpayers 365 days a year for roads, utilities, garbage, police and fire etc etc etc!

Stand strong Mayor, that's why you were elected by the people of Paramus to protect the rights of those who would be directly affected by this injustice.
Quote:
liberty12
I would encourage LaBarbiera to stand strong in this matter. This is a local issue and should be handled locally. The people of Bergen County, Paramus in particular, have steadfastly maintianed these laws and rightly so. They deserve at least 1 day a week to drive unfettered on 4,17 and a host of local roads in and around the malls. That said I did support the temporary lifting of the blue laws due to the disaster. However, do people really need to shop for cars, jewelry and books, the anwers if no.

In response to this:
marylou stark
I also support the Blue Laws,if that'sa what the residents want.But,I do disagree with your view that buying cars is not a necessity.It certainly is if your means of transportation was destroyed by flooding or from a tree falling on it. I spoke with a man who works for a NJ car dealer.As soon as the sealership got their power back, 3 men from Statin Is.arrived.The 2 passengers bought cars with the money they received from their insurance.
Quote:
navajorug
I'll bet a lot of folks never knew that Paramus had its own version of the "blue law" separate and distinct from Bergen County's law.

Regardless of whether you like the blue laws or not, it seems pretty outrageous for Bergen County to come in and try to compel a municipality to do this.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
^ Look, I understand your upsetness as well as others. However, a closed Lowe's on a Sunday, for example, doesn't deter us. We just go up to Paterson for Lowe's. We don't complain one bit about it.

Hence, anything he does/orders doesn't affect the Paramus residents' quality of life so much since we're use to it. If you have an issue with it, I simply recommend you to go with the flow.

Meanwhile, a lot of people are cheering for our mayor:

Collected from Patch and nj.com (/SL):
The slaves were "used to it" too. You can cherry pick responses that agree with your position until the cows come home. I could do the same 10 fold, but that would be incorrect. The position is wrong. Rationally, logically, and morally. Regardless of the number of citizens who agree with it. Your argument bottom lines too "we want it this way". Curtailing freedom can never be left to the capricious and arbitrary whims of citizens who "just want it that way".

Majority DOES NOT rule.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM

3,261 posts, read 11,538,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
Strongly seconded. No need for laziness or religious selfishness to interfere with the alleviation of suffering of those suffering from Sandy.
I see your strongly seconded and raise you one. To the OP if your a man put your big boy pants on and if your a woman put your big girl panties on. There are emergency personnel working 16 hours a day 7 days a week. Suck it up. I'm gonna guess you were never in the military.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM

500 posts, read 1,155,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The slaves were "used to it" too. You can cherry pick responses that agree with your position until the cows come home. I could do the same 10 fold, but that would be incorrect. The position is wrong. Rationally, logically, and morally. Regardless of the number of citizens who agree with it. Your argument bottom lines too "we want it this way". Curtailing freedom can never be left to the capricious and arbitrary whims of citizens who "just want it that way".

Majority DOES NOT rule.
Town residents verse out-of-area/county residents' viewpoints.

So you're saying that the wishes of everyone not living in this area has MORE power than the people, who actually lives here? How logically sound is this, exactly?

What's considered "freedom" to you, since you love throwing that word around, is completely different to us. How different are you from us, who "want it that way", huh? Bottom-line, both sides want something.

However, this is a local issue. This isn't a state-wide issue (like that whole "open the beaches to the public" thing). It's not a national issue. It really is just a local issue. The residents have a voice. :< We, the residents, are a majority to the people not involved. We know what life is like here day in and out. This is our selfish wish, but we're happy with it. The economy here is still successful with one day off.

Six days out of the week to shop from. The world isn't going to end if Sunday is off. Everywhere else, outside of Paramus, has less strict rules. Frustrated people need to channel their feelings towards other towns and shop there.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM

8,726 posts, read 12,068,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Can we please try freedom? Please?
Sorry, the 18th century is over (yes, they had slaves then, but the slaves weren't happy about it!). Freedom now has neither constituency nor champion.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Sorry, the 18th century is over (yes, they had slaves then, but the slaves weren't happy about it!). Freedom now has neither constituency nor champion.
It has both while I'm around.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 11-08-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 03:16 PM

24,511 posts, read 31,327,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It's not my choice. If I don't show up to work, I will be written up and risk of getting fired, or get hours cut for next week. I already had plan this Sunday of doing charity at our local church to help the victims that need food, heat & water. Unfortunately, now I cannot.
This is a problem between you and the management. Not the government.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,245,669 times
I wish they'd do away with those stupid blue laws anyway. Because of that, it makes all the other stores out of the area even more crowded. It's antiquated. Small businesses also need more business so you are shutting out the mom and pop stores that really need to be open everyday.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:26 PM

605 posts, read 1,627,060 times
I know that there is a large orthodox community in Bergen county. I don't get why they live in an area where they can't shop on their biggest shopping day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey