Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:55 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times

Advertisements

For those who think Blue Laws are outdated perhaps we should go completely the opposite direction.
Every business should be required to be open every day, why should some people get a day off while others have to work.
To be even more ridiculous how about every business be open 24/7. You want to buy a car at 4:00am your friendly car salesman working the midnight shift would be glad to put you behind the wheel on his shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I'm OK with one day if necessary places were open, but I'm mad because I had plan on doing charity work all day on Sunday to help victims, as well as other lower income in need of food, clothes, and place to stay warm. Now I cannot do it, because 90% of the employees at our store freaked out about opening this Sunday, and I'm forced to work now because I have otherwise less chance of moving up
I asked before and you never answered...without telling me the actual name of the store what does your store SELL?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I asked before and you never answered...without telling me the actual name of the store what does your store SELL?
Wine and Cheese.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:19 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Or shopping in New York City or Rockland County... plenty of options.

Blue laws have nothing to do with religion......

Germany is one of the most advanced and greatest nation in the world, and they have blue laws banning everything on Sundays to people have a day of rest. Yet, they do better than us. Switzerland, Austria, and several other western European countries the same.
You're serious, aren't you? I feel embarrassed for you.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM

36 posts, read 85,318 times
When I recently moved to NJ (from TX), I avoided Bergen county solely for the reason of Blue law. I ended buying house in Somerset county and happy about it.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:29 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Wine and Cheese.
But mostly wine.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
An absolute disgrace. That is the only thing you can say about the mini-tyrant who happens to be mayor of Paramus. The little Nero thinks he gets to decide what retailers can sell on Sunday.

However: “There are people whose entire lives are spread out on their lawns,†Jeanne Baratta, spokesperson for County Executive Kathleen Donovan, told the Record. “It is not for us to say what they can replace or not replace.â€

Thank you Jeanne. Take this miserable and immoral political hack to court and explain to him the concept of freedom. He obviously thinks he is the Fidel Castro of Bergen County and he needs to be chopped down a bit.

Unbelievably disgusting.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
This is a rather interesting conversation...as it was bound to be. My take...

Ordering the opening, especially of the malls and necessary stores in wake of the hurricane is a good move. Yes, it will inconvenience some people, but it will accomplish several things:

1. Workers at retail stores definitely lost wages if the store was at all closed during the hurricane and the days afterward. This will allow retail workers an opportunity to regain those lost wages.

2. It gives people without power or somewhere warm to be a place to go and seek some shelter. Chances are they will also be buying things which will put more money back into the local economy and help make-up for sales losses during the hurricane.

3. People are working to recover and there are many things they may need to help that process from clothes to building materials. While it may seem ridiculous to have luxury retailers open, I'm willing to bet some folks may be buying some higher end things to help take their wife or childs mind off of what is going on or to celebrate a birthday, etc.

However, I do not think that it is ultimately the business of anyone but the people and business owners of Bergen County whether or not they keep or rescind the Blue Laws on a permanent basis. It has now gone up for vote twice and in both cases had majority support to be kept in place. I can't conceive of a way that the Blue Laws really impact any level of economic activity in the state and for that reason it should be left to the people who live there to decide whether they want them or not.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
For those who think Blue Laws are outdated perhaps we should go completely the opposite direction.
Every business should be required to be open every day, why should some people get a day off while others have to work.
To be even more ridiculous how about every business be open 24/7. You want to buy a car at 4:00am your friendly car salesman working the midnight shift would be glad to put you behind the wheel on his shift.
This is completely missing the point.

The Blue Laws are laws that restrict a business owner's rights to open when they want.

Laws that require businesses to be open would be restricting a business owner's rights in the same way.

The alternative to the Blue Laws is not other laws that restrict a business, but instead freedom for a business owner to open their business when they see fit. The rest of the country allows this freedom for the most part. At some point, Paramus and Bergen County will catch up and people will wonder why it took so long.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
Quote:
Germany is one of the most advanced and greatest nation in the world, and they have blue laws banning everything on Sundays to people have a day of rest. Yet, they do better than us. Switzerland, Austria, and several other western European countries the same.
Ha! The funny thing is that if you lived in Germany, you'd be happy with your precious Blue Laws, but you'd be arrested for your anti-Islam and anti-Judaism rants. Germany has very tough hate speech laws.

I prefer the American way where bigots have the freedom to rant (and the rest of us have the freedom to call them on their BS) and store owners (except in Bergen/Paramus) have the freedom to open on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey