Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,521 times

Advertisements

After 60 years and first time ever since, Bergen County have and will suspends its Blue Laws due to Hurricane Sandy's after mess by the order of our silly governor. However, Bergen County executer (who strongly support blue laws) called the state to temporarily suspend them so people can get into retail stores and buy necessary items that they need, or have lost, due to the storm.

Shopping Mecca of Paramus (who have their own even more restricted blue laws), their blessed Mayor said that he will not allow all stores to remain open, and only those that are in need. He said that people do not need "Jewelry, or other luxury items right now". Surprisingly, Bergen County executed said she may take the towns to court if they do not suspend their blue laws and let people buy anything they need.

As I write this, I am very mad, sad, anxious, depressed, worried, and shocked that they have lifted the blue laws, and that malls will remain open this Sunday for the first time in decades. Now, I'm forced to work, and it will create much traffic, more police/security, noise, and big mess that we normally see rest of the week. OMG, cannot believe this I won't be able to sleep for next few weeks other than thinking about this decision. I HATE YOU SANDY!!

Bergen County residents have twice voted to keep them, and all politicians & mayors of various towns across the county have continued to fight for to keep them, and done it when governor Christie tried to abolish them few year's ago.

Gov. Chris Christie suspends Bergen County Blue Laws in wake of Hurricane Sandy | NJ.com

Chafing at Christie's blue law ban, Paramus mayor lists what can be sold Sunday, threatens penalties for violators | NJBIZ

Christie.... Please respect and understand that we do NOT want stores to remain open on Sundays. It's very congested, and heavily traffic here all the time. I, and virtually all retail employees need a day off from work to spend time with family and relax, and a day not to worry about working. Some of us may go to church, or other events on Sundays. Quality of life is great thanks to the blue laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Hopefully those suffering a painful recovery as a result of Sandy are able to get back on their feet with little or no obstacles. My heart goes out to them. If the suspension of these blue laws helps those people even the slightest bit, excellent! Kudos to the government for putting people's needs first above all other nonsense.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,593 times
Shut it. I think you can deal with working one day so that others can get what they need to get their lives back in order.

It's a temporary suspension for an excellent reason.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 PM

214 posts, read 289,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Shut it. I think you can deal with working one day so that others can get what they need to get their lives back in order.

Strongly seconded. No need for laziness or religious selfishness to interfere with the alleviation of suffering of those suffering from Sandy.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
The OP sounds like a whiny child. If you don't like it, quit your dime-a-dozen retail job and get a real career.

Blue laws are antiquated and need to be ruled unconstitutional.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,615 times
Bergen county blue laws are so absurd.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
OP, you do realize that many people have no heat or electricity and need a place to go??? I was in Garden State Plaza recently charging up my laptop because I was without electricity for five days. And many people are far worse off than I am.

It's only temporary, stop If you don't want to work on Sunday, call out sick.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:35 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
I also think Manhattan should be forced to close. There is constant congestion and traffic. The citizens need a break. The bridges and tunnels should be closed on Sunday and no one should be allowed by the government to do anything.

Think about how patently absurd it is that a citizen of the United States thinks it is OK for the government to tell businesses that they can never operate on a particular day of the week. It is beyond comprehension that we have allowed our government to go this far in ruling our lives.

The blue laws should be overturned. They are immoral, a disgrace, a confiscation of private property in the form of lost sales, and antithetical to the very idea of a free country. Free citizens should be allowed to operate their businesses any and all days of the week. Citizens who do not want to work on Sundays, should not seek employment from employers who will need them to work on Sundays.

Can we please try freedom? Please?

By the way this is an excellent opportunity to bring this issue some attention. Is it time to try another vote? The citizens of Paramus constantly change and move in move out. Perhaps the present populace is younger, has some sense, values freedom a bit more than the old guard, and might vote this out if they were given the chance.

And this mayor, this putrescent little tyrant Nero, Richard LaBarbiera, needs to be sent packing. How dare he violate the lifing of this ban, and attempt to tell private retailers what they can sell and what they cannot sell. When you give the government incremental power over time, it is like spreading an evil fertilizer that promotes the growth of invasive weeds. Human weeds that prosper by exercising irrational power and control over others. This politician is a perfect example of what can happen.

While we're getting rid of the antedeluvian blue laws, it is also time to do some weeding.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 11-08-2012 at 05:55 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post

Could not of said it better!!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
After 60 years and first time ever since, Bergen County have and will suspends its Blue Laws due to Hurricane Sandy's after mess by the order of our silly governor. However, Bergen County executer (who strongly support blue laws) called the state to temporarily suspend them so people can get into retail stores and buy necessary items that they need, or have lost, due to the storm.

Shopping Mecca of Paramus (who have their own even more restricted blue laws), their blessed Mayor said that he will not allow all stores to remain open, and only those that are in need. He said that people do not need "Jewelry, or other luxury items right now". Surprisingly, Bergen County executed said she may take the towns to court if they do not suspend their blue laws and let people buy anything they need.

As I write this, I am very mad, sad, anxious, depressed, worried, and shocked that they have lifted the blue laws, and that malls will remain open this Sunday for the first time in decades. Now, I'm forced to work, and it will create much traffic, more police/security, noise, and big mess that we normally see rest of the week. OMG, cannot believe this I won't be able to sleep for next few weeks other than thinking about this decision. I HATE YOU SANDY!!

Bergen County residents have twice voted to keep them, and all politicians & mayors of various towns across the county have continued to fight for to keep them, and done it when governor Christie tried to abolish them few year's ago.

Gov. Chris Christie suspends Bergen County Blue Laws in wake of Hurricane Sandy | NJ.com

Chafing at Christie's blue law ban, Paramus mayor lists what can be sold Sunday, threatens penalties for violators | NJBIZ

Christie.... Please respect and understand that we do NOT want stores to remain open on Sundays. It's very congested, and heavily traffic here all the time. I, and virtually all retail employees need a day off from work to spend time with family and relax, and a day not to worry about working. Some of us may go to church, or other events on Sundays. Quality of life is great thanks to the blue laws.
yay, another "compassionate" christian. your insensitivity astounds me (why, I don't know).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey