U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 AM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 2,472,465 times

Advertisements

Finally my husband's company in downtown NYC is fully restored so he will need to report back to office by next week. PATH still does not operate between Newark and JSQ. Our train line does not have any schedule to be restored. We only have one car and I work in Newark. Is there any bus service from newark to downtown NYC? Or he will have to take NJ Transit to midtown, then takes subway to downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM

8,726 posts, read 12,068,534 times
Buses from Newark go via Port Authority, so it makes more sense to take the train.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 AM

43,401 posts, read 43,295,296 times
Can you get him to Liberty State Park? Free shuttle to downtown.

OR #1 bus from Newark to Jersey City and the Ferry from Paulus Hook.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Can you get him to Liberty State Park? Free shuttle to downtown.

OR #1 bus from Newark to Jersey City and the Ferry from Paulus Hook.
Train has to be faster than either of those. I believe they'll accept bus passes (including October passes for today and tomorrow) on the train (they say "system-wide cross-honoring"), so it would just cost a subway ride.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Thanks. My husband tried the free shuttle bus connecting ferry at liberty state park today. I dropped him off at maplewood station. It takes more time than before, but not a bad commute.
We left house at 7am, dropped off my son to daycare at 7:10, drove 20 minutes to maplewood and he hopped on shuttle bus to get ferry. He made it in office at 9:15am. Just my poor baby will be the first one to the daycare for a while.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,145,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Train has to be faster than either of those. I believe they'll accept bus passes (including October passes for today and tomorrow) on the train (they say "system-wide cross-honoring"), so it would just cost a subway ride.
and your chance of getting on a train that is already completely packed to the point of people standing in the bathrooms is ...

I am sure there is some space, but I wouldnt want to count on it

Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
and your chance of getting on a train that is already completely packed to the point of people standing in the bathrooms is ...
Not impossible, from what my co-workers are saying, though it was earlier in the week. Now that there's a bus from Maplewood that probably makes more sense for downtown.

Now that gas is available, Monday I'm likely to bite the bullet and drive in. A three seat ride is bad enough, a four seat ride (including a packed bus and packed train) is ridiculous.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 AM

According to my husband, the bus ride from maplewood to liberty state park takes about 1 hr and ferry takes 15 minuts. Bus i snot crowded, but we are still looking for other possibility. I need to leave at 5pm in order to pick up my son from after school before 6. Due to current situation, a lot more people are driving so traffic gets slow on 78. Normally I only need 30-40 minutes to get home via 78. Now almost 50 minutes. If I need to go to maplewood to pick him up on my way home, I cannot go on express lanes. Local lane is more congestive due to construction on 78. I left at 4:45 yesterday and arrived maplewood at 5:27. It's Friday evening. Normally traffic should be light so that I am worried if we did the same route during weekdays, it will be worst. My husband may try train next Tuesday and take bus from newark to summit. It will closer for me to pick him up from summit than maplewood.
We also think about renting a compact car for a month so he can drive to liberty state park, but apparently everyone already thought about that. Check several car rental website, everything is out.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 AM

43,401 posts, read 43,295,296 times
Yes, the roads are definitely clogged. I am on the NJCL so I'm out of luck with trains, and the people who are taking the NEC line in my office say it is hell on earth.

I have to go to JC by Exchange Place, so I've been driving. It was pretty nice before the HT reopened--no traffic even on Exit 14+. Now it's back to heavy traffic again. Plus, it's $10 a day to park in the cheapest lot. The Academy Bus from the 109 Park and Ride does drop off near Exchange Place so I might try that next week, but when I'm passing the P&R at 6:30 in the morning, it looks as though the parking lot is ALREADY full. I have to figure out the true cost of driving--gas, tolls, parking--and compare it to the bus.

And I never knew until last night the absolute HELL that traffic is getting out of JC at 7 at night. I've been coming in early and leaving around 4, 4:30 to beat traffic all week, but last night I got stuck on something at work and didn't get out of the office until 6:45. It was after 8 when I got home. JC is gridlock at that hour, and they have no left-turn arrow signals on any of the traffic lights. They need to call in a Traffic Engineer and modernize their systems down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey