U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 AM

63 posts, read 107,151 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are originally from Scotch Plains, born & breed! We moved out to PA 5 years ago, but now are thinking about returning. My husband commutes 2.5 hours daily. His business was going to relocate when we moved, but the economy hit. We are both 49, and have two little girls we adopted from China. We raised our adult kids in Scotch Plains. We have family in S. Plainfield and N. Plainfield, Green Brook and Scotch Plains. Our budget is 250-270,000. I know what your thinking, but I've lived in 650,000 homes on down and after a while it's just a house. Our values/goals have changed. So with that being said, and I've home schooled my older kids, so that's also an option. What towns would you recommend? I'm not that familiar with somerset co and I am with Union co. Husband works in Newark. We were thinking green brook, since schools are Warren. Also N. Plainfield because houses are so cute! What about Dunellen? I no nothing about it? Are there any other towns to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 AM

63 posts, read 107,151 times
Where are you coming from? Originally from Scotch Plains coming back from Bethlehem PA
Why are you moving? Commute to long from PA to Newark. Not worth it! Miss NJ!
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Newark

Will you buy or rent? buy
What is your budget ? 200-270,00 purchase price.
What kind of place are you looking for ? Small, charming, 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath cute neighborhood.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? My charming husband, 3 year old, 5 year old, boston terrier and possible 27 adult son! Yikes! Maybe I need a 2 bedroom
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes. Good, they don't have to be great! Had great, and they weren't so great! Was in Scotch Plains and home schooled my older children. Even the best of the best have issues!

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in down to earth families, with young/small children that is close knit, safe, diverse would be fine since were white and our girls are Asian, block parties, closeness.
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Charming, safe, family oriented, short commute, older homes, close to shopping (does not need to have a downtown)
close to family

Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM

374 posts, read 480,071 times
I've looked at Dunellen and think it's not bad, but many sections south of the main train line are in a flood zone. What do you think about Somerville? We just lost out on a bid on a condo there. "Up and coming", as they say. It's diverse, there's shopping and lots of restaurants in a walkable downtown, it's close to Bridgewater Commons, it's a transportation hub (287, 205/202), and on the Raritan Valley Line. Once again, there are some flooding issues, but not as much as, say, Bound Brook and Manville.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM

161 posts, read 197,519 times
Well if living up north is too expensive, I recommend Monmouth County.. some area's are "NJ Affordable" and have nice neighborhoods...

Old 12-03-2012, 03:16 PM

71 posts, read 110,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
I've looked at Dunellen and think it's not bad, but many sections south of the main train line are in a flood zone. What do you think about Somerville? We just lost out on a bid on a condo there. "Up and coming", as they say. It's diverse, there's shopping and lots of restaurants in a walkable downtown, it's close to Bridgewater Commons, it's a transportation hub (287, 205/202), and on the Raritan Valley Line. Once again, there are some flooding issues, but not as much as, say, Bound Brook and Manville.
Somerville is a very nice town, as you say, it has a walkable downtown, close to major highways, Raritan Valley Line, good schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey