U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,918,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsach View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am currently living in Hartford, Connecticut and planning to relocate either to New Jersey or Atlanta and looking for information about good cities in both the locations in terms of Job market, Cost of Living, Property Tax, Schools and Housing (ard $500k-$700K) .I am looking particularly for areas with good Indian community around.

My current job is mostly work from home and dont need to travel so any location would be fine. My wife is in IT and will look for jobs in the area we move to.

We went to Atlanta (Alpharetta, GA) and liked it very much but not sure on how it fairs in all the aspects (especially job market) and comparing it with NJ. I know for sure NJ is close to NYC so opportunities are more but taking overall life, weather, and everything we are not able decide on any location. Also we dont know good cities in NJ or Atlanta where we can get more information on for comparison.

Will really appreciate feedback from people who have stayed in both the locations and are able to give insight on what could be good for us in all aspects and give some good cities we should consider in either states.

--TE
I lived in Atlanta. There is a lot to like about it and a lot to dislike. First, Alpharetta is great community and Atlanta in a lot of ways is similar to the northeast in terms of lots of trees, lakes rolling hills, mountains. If your family enjoys tennis and swimming, then you will love Atlanta. There are tons of tennis and swim clubs. If you like driving to the mountains, there are lots of places in the Carolinas and TN that you can drive to that are really pretty places to visit. Also, the panhandle of FL has some of the nicest beaches in the country.

The bad. Atlanta has horrible traffic. It's on par with LA. Also, downtown is nothing like NY. Atlanta is not a 24 hour city. Public transportation is not that good. Although the MARTA is clean it isn't that extensive and it is a little scary to travel on after rush hour because so few people use it. Also, crime is pretty bad in terms of car jackings, break-ins, and random shootings. I don't know the stats, but Altanta is up there in terms of violent crimes.

Finally, the Atlanta job market is not strong. Incomes don't move much in Atlanta so keep that in mind. Oh, and the weather thing is totally blown out of proporation. No worse than NJ in terms of humidity.

Quite frankly, if you're set on going south, I would look at Charlotte, NC or Raleigh over Atlanta. Atlanta is all transplants from all over country. For that reason the city doesn't have any sense of community or nationalism. Charlotte and Raleigh are different. And there are some cool things going on in both of those cities in terms of development and urbanization. Charlotte alos has crummy job market. Raleigh is much better.

Atlanta vs. NJ. I take NJ only because I can afford to live here. If I was in a different income bracket, I would be looking to live elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 AM

353 posts, read 499,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
I am so used to the ridiculous prices in NYC/Northern NJ area, that looking at listings like this makes me want to move.
Yep, I get it. Your dollar stretches super far down there and it was depressing to move back here at first.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I lived in Atlanta. There is a lot to like about it and a lot to dislike. First, Alpharetta is great community and Atlanta in a lot of ways is similar to the northeast in terms of lots of trees, lakes rolling hills, mountains. If your family enjoys tennis and swimming, then you will love Atlanta. There are tons of tennis and swim clubs. If you like driving to the mountains, there are lots of places in the Carolinas and TN that you can drive to that are really pretty places to visit. Also, the panhandle of FL has some of the nicest beaches in the country.

The bad. Atlanta has horrible traffic. It's on par with LA. Also, downtown is nothing like NY. Atlanta is not a 24 hour city. Public transportation is not that good. Although the MARTA is clean it isn't that extensive and it is a little scary to travel on after rush hour because so few people use it. Also, crime is pretty bad in terms of car jackings, break-ins, and random shootings. I don't know the stats, but Altanta is up there in terms of violent crimes.

Finally, the Atlanta job market is not strong. Incomes don't move much in Atlanta so keep that in mind. Oh, and the weather thing is totally blown out of proporation. No worse than NJ in terms of humidity.

Quite frankly, if you're set on going south, I would look at Charlotte, NC or Raleigh over Atlanta. Atlanta is all transplants from all over country. For that reason the city doesn't have any sense of community or nationalism. Charlotte and Raleigh are different. And there are some cool things going on in both of those cities in terms of development and urbanization. Charlotte alos has crummy job market. Raleigh is much better.

Atlanta vs. NJ. I take NJ only because I can afford to live here. If I was in a different income bracket, I would be looking to live elsewhere.
Two good points made here:

Check out Charlotte..... though I would expect it to be a more difficult place for an Indian family to assimilate and you have the same educational challenges as in Atlanta.

As far as access to Atlanta, traffic etc---you know, I live in the NYC suburbs and I find I was in Atlanta much more often than I am even in NY. As bad as the traffic was, the hassle factor and expense of getting into NYC is much worse. Of course--you cannot compare, say Fernbank Museum to the Museum of Natural History!!!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
Two good points made here:

Check out Charlotte..... though I would expect it to be a more difficult place for an Indian family to assimilate and you have the same educational challenges as in Atlanta.

As far as access to Atlanta, traffic etc---you know, I live in the NYC suburbs and I find I was in Atlanta much more often than I am even in NY. As bad as the traffic was, the hassle factor and expense of getting into NYC is much worse. Of course--you cannot compare, say Fernbank Museum to the Museum of Natural History!!!
I agree that accessing the city of Atlanta from the burbs is much easier than accessing Manhattan, but there is almost nothing to do in downtown Atlanta and it is not comfortable at night. There are few people walking the streets. Nothing like Manhattan in that respect.

If the OP is looking for access to a great city that is not overwhelming, I would be looking at San Francisco. SF is one of the best cities in the U.S. in terms of things to do, easy to get around, and cleanliness. However, SF is not affordable for most.

I still think Charlotte is interesting. The downtown has some neighborhoods that are in midst of major gentrification and urbanization so you don't have to drive to restaurants and stuff. Atlanta doesn't really have places like that. Atlanta is a car town.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I agree that accessing the city of Atlanta from the burbs is much easier than accessing Manhattan, but there is almost nothing to do in downtown Atlanta and it is not comfortable at night. There are few people walking the streets. Nothing like Manhattan in that respect.

If the OP is looking for access to a great city that is not overwhelming, I would be looking at San Francisco. SF is one of the best cities in the U.S. in terms of things to do, easy to get around, and cleanliness. However, SF is not affordable for most.

I still think Charlotte is interesting. The downtown has some neighborhoods that are in midst of major gentrification and urbanization so you don't have to drive to restaurants and stuff. Atlanta doesn't really have places like that. Atlanta is a car town.
Definitely true though areas like the Virginia Highlands and Buckhead do have a nightlife. (I don't think that's what the OP is after though!!) I have family in Charlotte and have spent a lot of time there and you do need a car. I'd say it's much more comparable to say the Virginia Highlands or Druid Hills in terms of walkability.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,181,210 times
Quote:
I have to add--I heard all about the famous Atlanta summers prior to moving there and it turned out to be vastly overestimated. I prefer the weather in Atlanta---the winters are beyond mild, with 50/60 degree days in November and February. Towards the end of March, the weather turns summery and for the next six to seven months, the weather is beyond lovely. Yes, it gets hot in the summer, but Atlanta is built for it. Most neighborhoods have community pools. MANY people in the OP's price range have heated pools, which they use from March-October and there is AC everywhere. However, even when outside, I never found it particularly hotter than a NJ summer and the weather is probably the thing I miss the most.
Not sure when you lived there, but I lived there for years, and the average humidity from July through September is about 90%. I remember being at the olymipcs in '96 and just watching the sweat role down people's faces. I guess it is fine if you lock yourself inside the entire summer, but then what's the point of being there?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM

2,702 posts, read 8,928,000 times
You cannot compare NYC to ATL. That said, there are a lot of pluses in ATL. It's a matter of what's important to you. Having lived in both places, I prefer ATL. The schools in N. Fulton (Johns Creek) and N. Gwinnett (peachtree Ridge cluster) are excellent. I'm not familiar with other areas. As I already stated, weather is great. Summers are not humid; winters are mild. We do have 4 seasons, but not the extremes of NJ. YMMV

Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Definitely true though areas like the Virginia Highlands and Buckhead do have a nightlife. (I don't think that's what the OP is after though!!) I have family in Charlotte and have spent a lot of time there and you do need a car. I'd say it's much more comparable to say the Virginia Highlands or Druid Hills in terms of walkability.
Virginia Highlands is nice. Buckhead has gone down hill. They had to institute a curfew because of all the shootings.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Virginia Highlands is nice. Buckhead has gone down hill. They had to institute a curfew because of all the shootings.
Really? Because I am still friends with a ton of people in North Buckhead, Vinings, Chastain Park and around Pace Academy and I don't hear or get that impression at all......

Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Really? Because I am still friends with a ton of people in North Buckhead, Vinings, Chastain Park and around Pace Academy and I don't hear or get that impression at all......
This is how it was before bar closing times were pushed back. It was getting really nasty in Buckhead so earlier closing times were implemented. Looks like there was legislation that was proposed to extend the closing times again. This is a snipet of a councilman's opposititon to the legislation.

Quote:
Are you interested in reliving the weekly nightmare of impassable streets, noise, trash, and crime (including, predictably, shootouts and stabbings) that defined our last period of pre-dawn closing hours? When the police who should have been patroling our homes and businesses were instead babysitting those who believed themselves entitled to indulge in taxpayer-supported carousing and violence?
http://buckhead.patch.com/articles/shook-strongly-opposes-extending-bar-closing-time-to-4-am
There were crazy shootouts going on in BH before they started closing the bars earlier. It's better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey