Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Ridgewood or Ramsey
um not really, I have lived in both of those towns and the walkable sections are limited. Walk from Morse road in Ramsey to the center of town? No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnotherTourist View Post
Nexis4Jersey- I have heard many amazing things about Nyack and Tarrytown. They sound like beautiful and fun places to live but being that far out from Manhattan would be a bit much for me. Plus..I need to be closer to my ethnic hair salons and cheap nail salons (haha), I don't think West Chester has many of those. Speaking of White Plains....that is something I was seriously considering as well. I have never been there so I would need to visit and explore before judging completely. My only thing with White Plains is that it doesn't look like it would be safe for me to walk to and from the Train at night. The main station is a bit removed from the housing area's downtown. Also the cost of METRO NORTH (one way is $9.50 from White Plains..the other towns it's higher) is a biggie for me. The fact that it would cost me almost $20 roundtrip to go to Manhattan 4 days a week would drive me insane. I like that NJ (NYC SUBURB) towns are a bit more affordable with the Transit, Path and Bus. Or am I wrong? Again I admit I am the clueless one.
Just to be clear on something--maybe it's me, but there's seems to be some confusion. Nyack is NOT in Westchester County, it's in Rockland County, directly above NJ and west of the Hudson, while Tarrytown is in Westchester, east of the Hudson. The first thing that caught my eye when you said your husband is working in Nyack and Tarrytown was that they are separated by the Hudson and therefore the TZ, and that's going to be fun when they start building the new bridge!

Just FYI, it's not cheap to commute from NJ, either. Look at the NJ Transit website for the train fares for the towns you are looking at--it might help you decide.

I'm with the others saying that Rutherford/East Rutherford is probably best for you and your husband.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Ridgewood or Suffern NY are the only realistic options I know of with a decent commute to everywhere needed, that could accommodate someone that does not drive.

Pretty much everywhere else is going to be a major pain to get to Tarrytown from. Even getting to Nyack from Montclair or Rutherford would be over an hour as the bare minimum.
But her husband, who DOES drive, is the one going to Nyack and Tarrytown. The OP wants to be near public transportation to get to the city. Rutherford's perfect--apartments near the train station for her, close to major highways to go north for him.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:02 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
Gonna chime in here and recommend the Rutherford/East Rutherford area as well. Other towns directly around are great options as well like Lyndhurst, Carlstadt, Wood-ridge, Wallington, Hasbrouck Heights, ect. My girlfriend and I moved to ER over the summer and wish we'd moved here sooner. Her commute into Manhattan for work is easy with multiple bus lines running very frequently, on a good day the ride into Port Authority is 20 mins, average is around 30. There's also the train station on the town line with Rutherford, which while not direct to Manhattan, is still a widely used option for commuters.

As for the area itself, it seems like it would fit what you're looking for. It's got the nice quaint town atmosphere and it's safe to be walking around at night. The downtown area is on Park Ave which stretches from Rutherford (many restaurants there) across the tracks into East Rutherford (the bars are here) and you can find just about anything. There's also no shortage of restaurants, take-out and delivery options spread out through the rest of the towns as well. We walk everywhere we go for the most part, anything else can be accomplished in a 5 minute drive.

You also won't have much trouble finding an apartment within that price range, we pay less than your minimum range even for a huge apartment with a backyard. The dogs will be your biggest road block unfortunately. We too have two small dogs (Boston Terriers, both under 25lbs) and it was difficult enough finding a place that would accept just one dog, but two was out of the question. Contact every listing you see though, and take a drive/walk up and down the streets and look for "For Rent" signs on multi-family houses, those are often your best bet for being pet-friendly or at least open to making exceptions. Rents will be a bit cheaper in East Rutherford than Rutherford as well.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Gonna chime in here and recommend the Rutherford/East Rutherford area as well. Other towns directly around are great options as well like Lyndhurst, Carlstadt, Wood-ridge, Wallington, Hasbrouck Heights, ect. My girlfriend and I moved to ER over the summer and wish we'd moved here sooner. Her commute into Manhattan for work is easy with multiple bus lines running very frequently, on a good day the ride into Port Authority is 20 mins, average is around 30. There's also the train station on the town line with Rutherford, which while not direct to Manhattan, is still a widely used option for commuters.

As for the area itself, it seems like it would fit what you're looking for. It's got the nice quaint town atmosphere and it's safe to be walking around at night. The downtown area is on Park Ave which stretches from Rutherford (many restaurants there) across the tracks into East Rutherford (the bars are here) and you can find just about anything. There's also no shortage of restaurants, take-out and delivery options spread out through the rest of the towns as well. We walk everywhere we go for the most part, anything else can be accomplished in a 5 minute drive.

You also won't have much trouble finding an apartment within that price range, we pay less than your minimum range even for a huge apartment with a backyard. The dogs will be your biggest road block unfortunately. We too have two small dogs (Boston Terriers, both under 25lbs) and it was difficult enough finding a place that would accept just one dog, but two was out of the question. Contact every listing you see though, and take a drive/walk up and down the streets and look for "For Rent" signs on multi-family houses, those are often your best bet for being pet-friendly or at least open to making exceptions. Rents will be a bit cheaper in East Rutherford than Rutherford as well.

Good luck!
Well said. Grocery stores are key and if you are looking in towns like Ridgewood and Ramsey you will

A) be walking a long time
B) paying through the nose
C)

Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
From what you described, I think Washington heights or Inwood would be your best bet. You will be on a subway line for easy commute to downtown and your husband won't even have to pay the TZ toll. You could get a great one bed for 2k. Parking on the street is doable in most areas. You may have to pay a brokers fee though.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
From what you described, I think Washington heights or Inwood would be your best bet. You will be on a subway line for easy commute to downtown and your husband won't even have to pay the TZ toll. You could get a great one bed for 2k. Parking on the street is doable in most areas. You may have to pay a brokers fee though.
Working in Nyack, he'll either have to pay the TZ toll or go over the GWB and pay that toll. He's not going to get across the river for free ANYWHERE.

Also, there are fewer gunshots in Rutherford than there are in Washington Heights or Inwood.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
My apologies, I thought the husband worked in Tarrytown. Many areas in Inwood and Washington Heights are very safe. Certainly commuting to downtown would be less expensive by subway than NJ transit. I also think there are more fun things to do including restaurants, dog parks, bars etc. in walking distance and very easy and quick access to all of the city. I just think it would be a better quality of like for someone who doesn't drive. You could also get an apt with an amazing view, on a pretty block in that price range.
I don't think safety is really an issue if you choose the neighborhood carefully. The only downside is that you won't be able to have a backyard, but you may be able to get a terrace.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
um not really, I have lived in both of those towns and the walkable sections are limited. Walk from Morse road in Ramsey to the center of town? No thanks.
Not sure what Ridgewood you lived in, but the one in B.C. is very walkable. Parking on the other hand is another story.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
My apologies, I thought the husband worked in Tarrytown. Many areas in Inwood and Washington Heights are very safe. Certainly commuting to downtown would be less expensive by subway than NJ transit. I also think there are more fun things to do including restaurants, dog parks, bars etc. in walking distance and very easy and quick access to all of the city. I just think it would be a better quality of like for someone who doesn't drive. You could also get an apt with an amazing view, on a pretty block in that price range.
I don't think safety is really an issue if you choose the neighborhood carefully. The only downside is that you won't be able to have a backyard, but you may be able to get a terrace.
I do have friends, both college professors, that have a great condo in Washington Heights on a quiet street. A good friend of mine came from Inwood when it was still pretty Irish. I agree there are some good places to be found. It's not all gunshots and drug deals. I just thought the OP was looking for more suburban for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey