U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 AM

239 posts, read 1,009,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
With the c-section, it was a good 4 weeks before she could easily get into or out of a chair or bed without alot of discomfort, and the better part of another month to get to what I'd call "normal" after that.
This is exactly what I want to avoid! I don't know what the dr. meant by "exactly the same" but I assume he meant safety/health of baby and mother. In fairness, he was honest and I appreciated it--when I asked how much say I would have in my care, and he responded "none, most would be non-negotiable". He did go on to explain how his was a medical practice with a medical approach, and it is not right for everyone. I don't believe pregnancy to be a medical condition, as I don't believe I am ill or sick.

tahiti--I think it would be interesting if the stats were broken down by c-section by choice or "emergency" c-section too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 AM

9,616 posts, read 9,467,492 times
The hospital rate is not a good way to decide. You could be going to a hospital with a very low C-Section rate, but have an OB/GYN with a very high rate. And if your OB/GYN is not there for your delivery, what matters is his partner's c-section rate, not the hospitals. Unless the hospital is very small and only has 5 OB/GYNs working there, there is no correlation between the hospital rate and the individual doctor rate. Also, a hospital that does high risk deliveries is going to have a higher rate than one that doesn't.
The best way to decide on an OB/GYN is to just talk to him/her for a while. Make sure your philosophies are similar and that you are on the same page in the way you want your baby to be delivered and ask to meet the partners in the group as well.

And I cant really blame the doctors with the high c-section rates. You cant get sued for doing a c section unnecesarily, but you can get sued for not doing one. Sometimes it seems every parent with a 10 year old with ADHD sues their OB/GYN. People can sue until the child reaches 21. How insane is that. Not to mention all of these cerebral palsey law suits turned out to be bogus. It turns out that c-sections do not decrease the rate of CP. I cant imagine how many OB/GYNs there are out there paying over $100,000 in malpractice payments because of a disease that they could not have even prevented in the first place. This is a problem society has brought upon itself.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 10-12-2007 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-13-2007, 07:27 AM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times
WOW! I had my 1st @ Muhlenberg 1985, the 2nd @ Raritan Bay - Perth Amboy (I hear they are closing) 1993. With the 1st, I used doctors in Warren on Mountain Boulevard by Warrenville Road. I liked the doctors in the practice except for one. With Raritan Bay I used a woman doctor that I liked a lot. She ended up inducing me, delivered in a few hours.

After looking at those stats, I would do whatever homework I could. I've had abdominal surgery (back fusion, went in through the front), healing was painful . To think that doctors might be taking "the easy way out" because of lawsuits is scary. As with anything, everyone has different pain levels, heal differently. I know a few people that have had C-sections, each person was different. One gal that's about 20 years old, had no problems what so ever, she didn't even need pain pills, while another had a different experience.

To the OP - do you have neighbors with kids that can recommend a doctor to you? That's what I would do, ask around. Even if you go to Toys R Us / grocery store, see women with small kids, ask.

Hospital wise, Robert Wood Johnson in Brunswick is a very nice hospital. My dad was treated there for cancer. I can't say enough good things about the hospital, it was clean, up to date, the food was good and the staff was excellent & friendly. We had occassion to go to other sections of the hospital because we know people that work there. If we went to visit them at their floor, everyone was friendly. The people that work there, speak highly of the maternity section. Might be worth looking into.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM

39 posts, read 138,282 times
once you get the doc's name, do a google search and read about her. there might be many reviews about her... That might give you an idea.

Also I have a question:

We choose a doc, lets say in a county and shes affiliated to the county hospital, yeah? now if I am from other county, can I still go to her and then so that county's hospital?

Nan

Old 10-30-2007, 03:39 AM

Nan, it depends on your insurance. If your insurance covers the hospital they practice at, all well and good, if they do not participate it's usually an 80/20% split after deductible.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM

39 posts, read 138,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Nan, it depends on your insurance. If your insurance covers the hospital they practice at, all well and good, if they do not participate it's usually an 80/20% split after deductible.
So, I can go to any hospital in any county as long my insurance covers it, yeah

Thanks

Nan

Old 10-30-2007, 11:57 AM

Yes, check your insurance online, they should have a site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or