U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 PM

286 posts, read 313,477 times

Advertisements

Has anybody heard any updated information about Kean University and their accreditation issues? Did they get that cleared up? The reason I ask is because I want to be a teacher, and I know Kean has (or maybe had?) an excellent program for teachers. However, I'm still unsure whether I should apply there even if they did clear up their issues.

I'm looking to transfer from community college for the fall 2014 semester with my AA degree in English. I'm starting to consider other schools since I will have to apply later next year to transfer for 2014. Kean has always been my top choice for transfer, but now I'm kind of hesitant about looking into that school.

Does anybody have any information and/or advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 10,927,959 times
Have you called the University and ask them?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 AM

11,973 posts, read 13,982,981 times
It took me all of about 30 seconds of "Googling" to find the following report, issued by the Middle States accrediting team in September, 2012:

http://www.kean.edu/admin/uploads/Ke...tember2012.pdf

A cursory reading of the 93 page report appears to indicate that, while Kean has made progress with resolving their ongoing problems, the university is still on probation--pending a final inspection. However, I will leave it up to the OP to read the report thoroughly enough to determine what he/she needs to know.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 AM

328 posts, read 837,300 times
I go to Kean and the last info I got was that no matter what needs to be done, the accreditation will go through. There are too many students depending on it so they will get whatever help, etc they need. Politically, it's in everyone's best interest to make sure this happens.

I like the professors that I have and I think they are good professors. However, I really don't like the school. I find them very difficult to navigate. I'm not on the main campus which I'm sure doesn't help but the school is so disorganized. My online student account with them is no help (it is NOT user friendly at all; the local community college does a much better job). For 3 semesters I have paid my bill online. For some reason, it's not working this semester. Who knows what's going on with their online bill paying system. I was warned not to send my application directly to their admissions office because they always get lost (took the application to my college dean). I went to a conference at main campus several weeks ago. I sent my registration in on time but when I arrived, they had no record of me. I thought it was a fluke and they were going to turn me away unless I could "prove" that I registered. I was frantically going through my bank account via my phone as 3 more people walked in and were told the same thing - their registration was no where to be found.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Relating to digi's observations, I can add that, during my 35 years as a school counselor, Kean's Admissions Office was consistently the most disorganized, screwed-up admissions office that I dealt with. With all admissions offices, you will sometimes run into situations where it seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, but in the case of Kean, it almost always seemed as if they couldn't even locate their proverbial hands!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM

3,986 posts, read 5,298,137 times
Why was their accreditation ever in doubt? It's a well-established school, right?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Why was their accreditation ever in doubt? It's a well-established school, right?
Although it is very unusual for a well-established school to lose accreditation, it was (is??) a real possibility in this case.

When undergoing an impending re-accreditation, schools have to do a detailed self-study, and provide that info to the accrediting body about a year ahead of time. The Middle States accrediting people had some serious questions regarding several parts of that self-study, and they asked for further explanation of what they interpreted to be inadequate services to students, as well as inadequate or questionable record-keeping. It seemed that the more the Kean folks tried to "paper over" those issues, the more questions arose from the Middle States staff. The result was the probationary status for Kean.

It appears that most, if not all, of these "issues" have now been adequatedly addressed, but...until the final inspection of the school is completed, and until the final report is issued by Middle States, nothing is definite.

Quien sabe?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 AM

64 posts, read 755,330 times
never heard of this school before...

Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzpanda View Post
never heard of this school before...

How long have you lived in NJ?

Kean University, which used to be called Kean College, and prior to that was known as Newark State College, has been located in Union, NJ (near the Elizabeth border), for...at least 50 years, maybe longer. There may well be other, smaller colleges in NJ that you are also unaware of.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,994,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post
Has anybody heard any updated information about Kean University and their accreditation issues? Did they get that cleared up? The reason I ask is because I want to be a teacher, and I know Kean has (or maybe had?) an excellent program for teachers. However, I'm still unsure whether I should apply there even if they did clear up their issues.

I'm looking to transfer from community college for the fall 2014 semester with my AA degree in English. I'm starting to consider other schools since I will have to apply later next year to transfer for 2014. Kean has always been my top choice for transfer, but now I'm kind of hesitant about looking into that school.

Does anybody have any information and/or advice?

Thanks!
Do you plan to teach high school or elementary school?

I know that Montclair State has an excellent teacher education program, one of the best in the whole country (Top 10!).

Teacher Education Program - Montclair State University

"Montclair State University’s Teacher Education Program is one of the most highly-regarded teacher preparation programs in the country. It has been consistently recognized both nationally and regionally for its unique features, including its structure, partnerships, and curricular emphases. The program is considered a model for other colleges and universities and has continuously been accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since 1954, and has been recognized in a variety of ways:
  • In 2007, the George Lucas Educational Foundation named Montclair State University as one of the ten leading teacher education programs in the nation.
  • In 2005 and again in 2009, the program was named the recipient of the Richard W. Clark Award for Exemplary Partner School Work.
  • In 2009, the College was awarded a $6.3 million five-year grant, one of the largest in University history, from the U.S. Department of Education to establish the Newark-Montclair Urban Teacher Residency Program to prepare teachers in mathematics, science, or elementary special education.
  • In 2010, the Teacher Education Program received the Wisniewski Award for Teacher Education from the Society for Professors of Education for making “singularly significant contributions to the theory and practice of teacher education.”
  • In 2010, Montclair State University’s graduate programs in secondary teacher education and elementary teacher education were ranked 14 and 17 respectively in the U.S. News and World Report rankings of America’s Best Graduate Schools"

I know many people who went through the program and found it to be excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey